Options

Cisco ASA 5505 and 3560 lab options

OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
So I was trying to implement DHCP snooping on all switches in packet tracer, with no success. I don't know if I should buy a couple 3560s or just find another option icon_sad.gif

In addition, I know that the ASA 5505 is also going to be a part of several labs on this certification as well, and I've heard GNS3 is an option, but I've also been told to go just buy one. As they are like $250, It's a questionable investment.

What do you guys think? It's not that I don't have the money, I'm just cheap :D
:study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []

Comments

• Options
    JollycorkJollycork Member Posts: 149
    I like having hardware. That's just my preference. I can muck around with it, create my own configurations. For me, having physical hardware means I actually know what I'm looking at and how it works when I walk into a server room, rather than simply doing configurations on a simulator.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There's definitely pluses and minuses to both. I do prefer hardware myself but GNS3 is so much quicker to set up a scenario in. The one thing to keep in mind tough is how limited in switching GNS3 is in it's current form. At some point you're going to want a couple of physical switches at a minimum.

Now for the CCNA security, GNS3 is enough. Switching isn't that deep, and you'll remember quite a bit of it from the CCNA. And the ASA stuff is all done with ASDM which you can connect to an emulated ASA, or just run ASDM in demo mode.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    CCNA Security has absolutely nothing to do with ASA/ASDM. You will be focusing on ISR based security features and CCP

CCNP Security is where you will run into and need ASA 5510/5520's and ASDM
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    One of the CCNA Security objectives is "Implement SSL VPN using ASA device manager" so I wouldn't completely over look the ASA.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    -networker is correct it is in the objectives and in the lab manual as well but exam wise don't count on configuring it. Not sure whats the deal with the ccp push in the exam?! CCP gui looks nice but its terrible its like putting lipstick on a pig lol.

@OP not sure your level of experience or exposure to networking but from a practical stand point it would only benefit you to learn how to work with the ASA appliance if you lack the experience. But on the other side of the coin if you already work with the stuff then its no point to get the 5505 for the ccna sec exam unless if you plan on moving on to the ccnp sec track.
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @OP not sure your level of experience or exposure to networking but from a practical stand point it would only benefit you to learn how to work with the ASA appliance if you lack the experience. But on the other side of the coin if you already work with the stuff then its no point to get the 5505 for the ccna sec exam unless if you plan on moving on to the ccnp sec track.

I have over five years experience, however only in a LAN environment that is Layer 3 capable. As for my track, after finishing up this exam, I will be moving onto the CCNP R&S. The only reason I'm doing this exam first is because I am enrolled in the CE program for Sec+ and this exam will completely renew my Sec+ for another three years. Rather than doing some CBTs I'll probably brain **** in the near future, I want something that will stick. As for the 5505, I may just run a sim and lay off until CCNP Sec.
    There's definitely pluses and minuses to both. I do prefer hardware myself but GNS3 is so much quicker to set up a scenario in. The one thing to keep in mind tough is how limited in switching GNS3 is in it's current form. At some point you're going to want a couple of physical switches at a minimum.

I definitely, as stated above, plan on moving onto CCNP R&S after completing this. I have really been looking at the 3560s online, and have been looking at the WS-C3560-8PC-S as it is all I think I need. Please advise? In addition, what would be an appropriate IOS? lanbase? advipservice?
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []