How do you guys take notes?

GorbyGorby Member Posts: 141
I'm trying to figure out a good method for note taking and retaining information. I usually highlight but I'm trying to find other methods that may help me better. I heard some people say onenote, flash cards and even say thier stylus pen on thier tablet/phone. What do you guys use to take notes when studying for a certification?

Comments

• ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I write everything down. I use a scratch pad for when I want to jot down random notes, and a different one when I want material to review. I aim to write everything I want to remember for exam day at least twice.

That being said, I have stacks of notes I take on every exam level, it's kind of ridiculous, I could be on an episode of hoarders.

I'm a big fan now of just jotting **** down. Organizing is such a pain when it comes to taking notes while studying on the fly with limited notes, I don't try to categorize anything - I just jot down whatever I'm reading and review it when I can.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Every year when Walmart has "back to school" supplies up I buy 5 notebooks. Costs about a dollar.

Get a nice set of pens (like OMax TUL ball point pens) and that is my notes supplies for the year.

I then write what I call revelant cliff versions. Cisco I write out the commands the book tells me as examples and use to verify. Steps a port goes through. How RSTP and VSTP+ can't run at the same time. Etc.

I will actually upload a jpeg of my notes for you when I get home onto this page.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am not good at organizing notes. I follow ande in that I use a scratch pad and write down lots of random notes without any sort of order.

I almost never review the notes. The process of organizing the thought in your mind and physically writing it out helps with recall at a later date. I will often re-sketch charts to my liking or draw pictures (not very good ones) that represent the topic.

Good Luck!
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If I'm scribbling down notes at work or to-do lists at home I use yellow steno pads, the smaller ones with the wire at the top. When I'm studying for certs and such at home I use Microsoft OneNote, works well. With OneNote I can keep it on one monitor while videos, labs, text, etc are on the other screen and I can copy/paste, write notes and save screenshots really easily on the other screen.
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    I use Evernote, works on my laptop and tablet.

Usually just jot down anything that is a real nit-picky detail I will need to read a few times to remember, or a cool fact I won't want to forget. (Because I do re-read my notes from time to time)
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Notebook and pen. I write my notes word for word. Then I follow up my notes and put everything in my own words. I use a different notebook for each exam and I separate the notes based on chapters. That way it is somewhat organized. I learn more when I write something versus typing something out.
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Im a definitions guy.
    Usually I just need the definition of something and I can remember how it works or what it does.

I also draw pictures and diagrams.
    I never read them though...
    But just by writing them I remember better
  • aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Same as olaHalo - I write a lot of things down but rarely go back and read them. It's just a memory technique. That said, I buy a cheap Composition notebook or something like that and write out anything I think I'll need to remember, sometimes a couple of times. Once I fill up a notebook it goes in the trash. I have my study texts for references if I ever need to go back and look at something... chances are I'll never be able to read my terrible handwriting anyways!
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    Notebook & Pencils

I write chapter-by-chapter notes. In this I do not have to reread chapters, just the notes. Usually I will be certain that I understand the theory of an item completely first before making a note. Then it will mainly be 3-10 words to describe the theory. I only take notes on theories which are more apt to exit my brain, not on every single theory I read. Mostly my notes are theoretics of acronyms and specific commands that need to be memorized. Seldom do I draw diagrams since most of the times the diagrams and visual context just stay in my head. When I do have to draw diagrams it is usually of some item such as pin-outs etc. I have been taking notes for a number of years now, so I have also developed a "system" of symbols & abbreviations to aid in not making my notes overly elongated. I usually end up with 2 notebook pages (both sides) of notebook paper for each chapter, unless the chapter is overtly simplistic and in this case the pages will be lesser in number.
  • wgroomwgroom Member Posts: 147
    I use a memo pad, 3" x 5" notecards, flashcards, OneNote, Word, note mechanism on phone. Depends on where I am and what is available. I suffer from fleeting moments of wisdom, and if I do not get it down on something fast, it is gone. I have been this way all of my life, unfortunately. Bursts of intelligence followed by periods of frustrated attempts to remember something. If it is important or will aid with work, it finds it way onto notes application of cell phone. This is where apps like Evernote come in handy, as it propogates across all devices connected to the service, and works great with Outlook and an Exchange server.
    Cisco VoIP Engineer I
    CCNA R&S COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Voice COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Collaboration [In Progress]
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I write in the margins of my book in pencil.

I usually don't use a note pad because all I do is doodle.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • IceBlackIceIceBlackIce Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used to use Evernote, but the offline feature is not free and stopped using it, now Im using OneNote that syncs across all my devices and also has a functional web interface without the need to install the software, and also use Google Keep to make quick notes to research later and add it to the main notebook on OneNote.

I tend to use one notebook per exam with stuff I usually have trouble remembering or a exception or important feature for whatever, the notes are usually grouped by section and I barely type my notes, I just tend to google whatever and screenshot the relevant information. I find it important to have the information by the vendor own words. I also like to have screenshots of a screen to make some change, images tend to stay more time on my memory than just text.

I review the notes whenever I do practice exams, when I get something wrong or just mark the question for future confirmation and on the days before the exam.
  • ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    evernote for me, does the job
    In the passed I used keep note but it had miserably failed in keeping my notes in one piece :)
  • rowelldrowelld Member Posts: 176
    I use Evernote as it works with my system. I am seriously considering getting the Livescribe pen which will upload to Evernote: Livescribe :: Store :: 2GB Sky
    Visit my blog: http://www.packet6.com - I'm on the CWNE journey!
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I take notes and organize them in a way that makes sense to me.

I use the gFlash+ app on my phone and Google doc to make note cards.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • proph21proph21 Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Due to ADD and problems retaining / having information stick, I have a bit of a weird routine.

For books or w/e:

1). I will read the whole chapter

2). I will re-read the chapter and highlight or underline anything that I feel is important. This will help me condense the chapter and cipher through redundancies while allowing the chapter objectives and anything I feel imp to stick out.

3). I will jot down notes from the underlined/highlighted info in a journal. At this stage, I try and summarize things in my own words while making sure it is accurate. This helps increase the likelihood of me truly understanding what is going on and having this info stick with me.

4). I go through my journals on a regular basis to keep information fresh/see where I really remember/understand things and where I need to improve

The process applies mainly for compliance/cert stuff (FISMA, NIST SP's, Net+, CEH, CISSP, Sec+).

When it comes to hands-on things such as linux commands, pen testing/general use of tools in Kali Linux, Cisco r/s, and Cisco security configurations, I run through the notes, but also load a VM or Cisco emulator to practice the hands-on aspects. Like many others, hands-on learning helps me the most. Example: Learning in the CEH about getting into a wireless network that uses WEP was more or less bland for me. However, once I used the tools in a lab environment using Kali Linux, I truly understood how the process works. Not only that, but it helped me understand the theory behind WHY WEP is weak.

To help study for certs, one thing I would do is look for practice tests from authoritative sources. I run through the questions while talking out loud as if explaining the concepts to a friend. I would point out the right answer and explain why it is right while going through the incorrect answers and explaining why they are wrong. This helps show that I understand the material instead of just memorize things.
  • SteveFTSteveFT Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 149
    I gave up on notes, or at least during the initial read like proph21. What I do is read through a chapter and highlight anything of interest. At this point, I guess some people would go back and takes notes. However, I find it to be useless for me. I will never look at the notes again. In addition, I will become bored and find something else to do.

The single thing that has helped me the most was making flash cards. I use Memory Lifter (free software) to make digital flash cards. Essentially, I create questions that are fill in the blank. The software will put cards into different boxes depending on your level of mastery. I usually retire them after they are completely committed to memory.

This is a nice method because I can always go back later and go through the questions again. You can go through your notes, but it really isn't an easy test of your current knowledge.
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I either type my notes into Notepad (technical reference) or write it on a physical notepad (notes/reminders to self).
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    notes... notes... what are these ???

if you mean scribbles then I use a pen and paper. for design and development this is still my preferred method, find it much more free than electronic notes when I want to sketch thing out.

for longer term and if i want to be able to look back I either use outlook tasks, or one notes from microsoft, i like how you can paste in pdf or websites and it pulls in the links. I am sure others are just as good but as we are a windows house and its installed by default, ties in to my Hotmail account its easy.

For study I start by writing down as much as possible, all the key words and phrases. then I go back over them and condense them down, repeating a few time and looking up bits I dont understand till there is only a page or two of them and I have formed all the connections in my head. The idea is that I see the word "EIGRP" and I can mentally unpack the notes back to my original thoughts i wrote down and studied for.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SteveFT wrote: »

The single thing that has helped me the most was making flash cards. I use Memory Lifter (free software) to make digital flash cards. Essentially, I create questions that are fill in the blank. The software will put cards into different boxes depending on your level of mastery. I usually retire them after they are completely committed to memory.

Oh yes Flashcards are great I forgot them, I use Anki to make mine but great way to study, I make sure to classify cards based on things like Configuration commands, debug commands, show command and general knowledge. So not only can i use them for study, but also at work if i need to remember a command I can easily search for it.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    I use OneNote for all of my note-taking. It syncs between my phone, computers, and my tablet. I always have my notes with me, and don't have to carry around notebooks. icon_thumright.gif
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I just write (or type into OneNote) as I go. No special format really. Writing it down helps it sink in but I don't think I've ever actually gone back to check my notes.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For day to day notes and tasks I carry a 3.5x5.5" Moleskine pocket notebook and a Fisher X-Mark Bullet Space Pen as part of my everyday carry which I use for all of my note taking, reminders, etc. I tried to go digital, it just doesn't work for me. I lack the memory retention when I type a note rather than writing one down and easily dismiss electronic notes whereas my Moleskine is always with me and in front of me. If I can't get to something in time before it falls off the two pages I'm looking at when I open my Moleskine, I move it to the next page.

For studying I just use a legal pad. I'll later review them for key points, terms and so on and transfer them into a Mnemosyne database for electronic study in a flash card type format.