Options

v4 or v5

gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
Who is taking what, and why?

Just curious to where people are at and what choices they are making with regard to lab version.

Comments

• Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    v5 for me
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    Any particular reason? Is it because you don't feel ready enough for v4, or is it because you'd prefer to do v5?

I'm debating with myself at the moment which one to go for. I've got a v4 lab slot, and I could probably be prepared AND pass it, but not sure if I should go with v5 and forget about crap like Frame Relay and WCCP etc. However, on the other hand, the v4 has been around 5 years and the format is well known. Choices.
  • Options
    It is because I prefer the v5 content and think it reflects better what an engineer should know in these days networks. Also, if I go for v4 I would only have 1 attempt, maybe 2 at the best.

I think it really depends how fast you want to get the CCIE. I am in no rush to get it right now and I'm much more comfortable with technologies like DMVPN's and PVLAN's than frame-relay and PfR.
  • Options
    Well - I'd like to get it sooner rather than later to secure my position. Not that I am worried about it - I am fairly secure where I am.

I dunno, I think I'll stick to my original plan of "see how I feel by lab payment date" and take it from there. I've got nothing to lose that way.
  • Options
    I just checked and there are no labs spot left for v4. I guess i'm forced to do v5 :)
  • Options
    Ha. Maybe I could sell mine.... :D lol!
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    V5 for sure. V4 is past its sell by date, why study on old ios when you can work with the latest. Why learn hardware dependent L2 qos, better to study concepts that can be deployed across multiple platforms. Why learn cbwfq when hierarchy qos is the future. FR is a dead technology why waste time on it.
    Why pass end of life v4 when most people will think you cheated, these exams are all over the internet. For somebody who is ready to take v4, it would be 1 month study to learn V5, the guys in a panic to take v4 are the guys who having been spending the last 3 months working on the real exams, if they miss v4 they will need an extra 12 to 18 months before enough of the v5 exams are leaked.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    Yes, a big part of me agree's with everything you've just stated :)
  • Options
    Just dropped my v4 lab date. I don't think I will be ready by then.

Not ready in the sense that I want to go in there and absolutely own it. I don't want to scrape it, which I think I would be doing if I tried to do it in May