Options

Access Server advise

mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello all, I hope you all have had a great Holiday season.
I am getting down to the wire on buying my new equipment and I am torn on the access server part of my purchase.

I am either going to get a 2509 or I am going to get a 2600 with a NM-16A module. I am leaning to the 2600 with the NM-16A module after seeing this video on you tube from my packet lab channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvRH32og9l0

Since a-lot of you have equipment I was wondering what would be the better buy for your money.
Currently Ebay is showing the NM-16A i as low $120.00 and the Cisco 2509 for as low as $169.00.

I plan on getting 2-3 cisco Routers ( 2600XM Series) and 3 2950 Switches for the lab.

Please give me you thoughts. I do value what you have to say.

mgmguy1.
"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino

Comments

• Options
    jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    I highly recommend checking out the Digi CM32 on eBay, as one can usually be had for around $100 shipped. Alternatively, if you are only going to run a few devices at a time, these are nice: Amazon.com: GearMo® 36inch Quad Port FTDI USB to Serial Cable for MA PC Linux with Windows Certified Drivers: Computers & Accessories

I have heard some people mention using a Raspberry Pi as a console server, though it looks to be more expensive in the long run than a Digi.

Also, if you're going to buy routers, you may want to consider the 2801 instead of the 2600XM routers. They can be had for around the same price, and run newer code (cheaper to upgrade memory as well.)

Best advice would be to not go too hog wild on lab equipment, especially since things like the new version of GNS3 and Cisco's VIRL are going to be released next year. Also, Packet Tracer should handle almost everything you need for CCNA.

Do you intend to go further with your Cisco certs down the line?
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I found 2 NM-32a's for $90 each shipped on eBay and stuck one in a 2811 and the other in a drawer for later. Its not perfect but I hhave been able to work and all the issues and access all my equipment from anywhere via vpn. The Digi's look pretty good and I might have gone with that if I could have found one for less than $90.
  • Options
    I highly recommend checking out the Digi CM32 on eBay, as one can usually be had for around $100 shipped. Alternatively, if you are only going to run a few devices at a time, these are nice: Amazon.com: GearMo® 36inch Quad Port FTDI USB to Serial Cable for MA PC Linux with Windows Certified Drivers: Computers & Accessories

I have heard some people mention using a Raspberry Pi as a console server, though it looks to be more expensive in the long run than a Digi.

Also, if you're going to buy routers, you may want to consider the 2801 instead of the 2600XM routers. They can be had for around the same price, and run newer code (cheaper to upgrade memory as well.)

Best advice would be to not go too hog wild on lab equipment, especially since things like the new version of GNS3 and Cisco's VIRL are going to be released next year. Also, Packet Tracer should handle almost everything you need for CCNA.

Do you intend to go further with your Cisco certs down the line?
    jdballinger,
    yes I want to go further on with my Cisco studies. I work for a small Telecommunications company that has room to grow as long as you have the relevant certifications. Example, If I want to become a Level 2 or Level 3 Technician I have to have a CCNA or a CCNP if I want to move into the Voice Team I have to have my CCNA Voice.

As for your advise I will think hard on what you have said. I may get one 2801 router or I may have to stick with the 2600XM depending on budget.
    I understand packet tracer can get me thru ICND 1 and maybe ICND 2 but I have been doing alot of labs recently with packet tracer and I am unable to finnish some labs due to the limitations of packet tracer. GNS 3 I cannot get working right with my Windows 8 PC so I am tried of dealing with it and I am going to get equipment. In addition I went on two job interviews recently and was asked if I am studying for my CCNA with packet tracker or a real lab and when I said "Packet Tracer" they both kind of frowned on that statement.

In closing I will look at the Digi CM32 as an access server for my devices.
    Thank you for your input.

mgmguyq
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a 2509-rj that I was going to list for sale but have not had time to do it. I would let it go for 125 in dc metro
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use a Lantronix SCS1620. It works brilliantly. Though, it does take a little setup time, but nothing silly. It took me about an hour to get everything configured. The only downside is that you have to make your own console cables. I have a video on YouTube that I made to help people out.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    MAC_ADDY. I am looking at Ebay at the moment and they Lantronix SCS1620 is listed for about $125.00 bucks. The Digi CM32 on Ebay is going for $100.00 bucks. My decision is going to come down to ease if use for an access server but my head is now turned on the Digi CM32. I am still researching this as my home lab purchase is coming up and I want a Access server for it when I buy the equipment.

Thanks for the info.

Fats Domino
  • Options
    wgroomwgroom Member Posts: 147
    Not to look the fool, but why the need for an access server? Once the initial setup is done, you can control everything from telnet or ssh. So what am I missing? If I mess something up, I reset the device, reload the working backup, and I am back in business. Please advise.
    Cisco VoIP Engineer I
    CCNA R&S COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Voice COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Collaboration [In Progress]
  • Options
    Look for one with bad Flash. Sounds odd, but half of the time you just need to replace the flash card. I got mine for $10 with "bad flash", the card was fine. I just had to reinstall the OS.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    wgroom wrote: »
    Not to look the fool, but why the need for an access server? Once the initial setup is done, you can control everything from telnet or ssh. So what am I missing? If I mess something up, I reset the device, reload the working backup, and I am back in business. Please advise.

Having an access server is nice when you're working with multiple subnets. Sometimes you're not able to reach every subnet due to configurations. Or sometimes you're working with different labs... If you have 5 or more routers, you might only use 2 routers for a specific lab, and the following 3 for a completely different lab. If you have console access to each device you can easily get to each device to configure without having to telnet or ssh.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Access server is also nice when you make a change without thinking and it doesn't kill the connection. I made that mistake a few times and knocked myself out of the telnet and had to manually console in to get it back up oops..
  • Options
    wgroomwgroom Member Posts: 147
    Thank you for the replies, it makes sense in a way. So you can put your access server on the network with an IP, octal cable connect devices, and if you lose telnet or ssh to a device, telnet into the access server and console into the device lost? If this is the case, then maybe I need to add one to my lab as well. Thanks again.
    Cisco VoIP Engineer I
    CCNA R&S COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Voice COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Collaboration [In Progress]
  • Options

Jdballinger,
    I am picking up the Digi CM32 on eBay as suggested. Thank you for the suggestion.

Fats Domino
  • Options
    jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    Good choice, glad I could help.