Options

ICND2 (new syllabus) or CCNA Voice !!

palitpalit Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
I passed my ICND! a few months back and now want to take an exam for a full CCNA certification.Since I am eligible for both icnd2 AND ccna VOICE AND HAVE TO START afresh is it a good idea to go for ICND2 since things are more familiar or should I go for CCNA Voice since i wanted to do CCNA Voice in future?I am not sure about the good books and study material available for CCNA Voice.Please help

Comments

• Options
    wgroomwgroom Member Posts: 147
    It sounds to me like pursuing CCNA R&S first would be a good move. Are you currently in the VoIP field? If so that would change my answer. I am a VoIP level 1 engineer now, with NO access to the LAN, so my choice is to acquire the CCNA - V then pursue my R&S. Will have them both in 2014, then begin the slow pursuit of CCNP - V. My advice would be R&S first, then study the Voice. The equipment for a voice lab can use the lab for R & S, but will need some additional equipment. So factor in additional router capable of voice, at least 1 POE switch, and if not in the voice trade now, a server capable of running CUCM, CUC, UCCX, and CUPS. Those will be necessary if you have no experience with them.
    Cisco VoIP Engineer I
    CCNA R&S COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Voice COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Collaboration [In Progress]
  • Options
    palitpalit Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Wgroom for the response.I have no experience at all with them and it took me some time to get the right material for ICND1 as things were quite new to me and I was doing a self study.I had taken the CCNA composite (old syllabus) and failed it before passing the ICND1 exam last year.So I think I am more familiar to what to expect and study for ICND2 -new syllabus.
  • Options
    wgroomwgroom Member Posts: 147
    Please note I am expressing my opinion based on my experience. I wish you the best of luck obtaining BOTH certs, as I intend to accomplish.
    Cisco VoIP Engineer I
    CCNA R&S COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Voice COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Collaboration [In Progress]
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I think that it is important to have routing and switching down first as everything builds from that. I am employed as a Voice Tech and am still going for my CCNP R&S before starting down the voice track. I will eventually be going for CCIE Voice and then CCIE R&S.