Competition HELP

TByrd450TByrd450 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am in high school and I am competing in SkillsUSA. What I have to do is demonstrate a skill that I've learned in my IT class. I am training for A+. Does anybody know of a flasy demonstration that is relevant to my training. It also must last from 5-7 minutes. Examples from past completions include (replacing a processor, replacing PSU, replacing motherboards). NOTE: all examples are hardware, but I can demonstrate software.

Comments

• santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    Removing malware or virus?
  • santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    Uninstalling vista and installing linux?? Or upgrade to win 7/8
  • mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you trying to shock and awe? Seems like most of the projects are basic A+ things. Maybe you can see if you can cook an egg by overclocking the CPU? Try to push the boundaries. Maybe it will end up with you getting some scholarship offers?
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Put together a computer from the parts and boot it from a live cd right in front of them? Might not sound all that impressive, but I think it could be if done right. Bring all the pieces still in retail packaging, crack the open and put it together while telling the crowd about the program you're in.

I did the Skills thing a few years ago for networking. It was weird, most of us doing networking were adults changing careers.
  • TByrd450TByrd450 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't mind trying the egg cooking, but I don't think we have any overclock-able processor at our school. Also I thought about building the computer from scratch, and I doubt it can be built in under 7 minutes.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Why not write a short script that shows of a fancy graph or some thing.

a random Google search gives

Endless Starfield – Parallax Scrolling | Free ActionScript

the code is 50 to 100 lines long and you can see on the site what effect it has.

But even the famous "hello world" program

10 print "hello world"
    20 goto 10

Can be adapted to do some interesting stuff.

if you want some thing really eye catching try scripting this

Sierpinski triangle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

you can do this in excel if you want with VBA scripting.

its actually really simple to do. First start by plotting the three points of a triangle. then take any of these points as a starting point and randomly select one of the others. Find the mid point of the line formed by these points and mark it. then starting from this mid point chose randomly one of the defining points of the triangle and find the mid way point and mark it. Repeat a few thousand times and you will get the Sierpinski triangle appearing.

This was one of the first programs I ever wrote in Basic, (a while back now), and its only about 20 lines long. it demonstrated the basics of programming routines and fractals at the same time.

1. set points of triangle (A,B,C)
    2. set starting point
    3. generate random number between 1 and 3
    4. if random number is 1 then use point A, if 2 use point B if 3 use point C
    5. work out mid point (add starting and end X coordinates together and divide by 2 do same for Y coordinates)
    6. plot the outcome and set this as the new start point#
    repeat from step 3

each of these steps is just one or two lines of code if you did some home work and where prepared, you could write it in 2 minutes, run it in 60 seconds and explain/discuss it for 3.

not sure how it fits the A+ course though :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Why not go through A+ chapters guide and then decide for yourself what areas you want to show your skills in? This way you can pick the areas that you are comfortable with (should really be all the areas , as A+ is entry level) and logical in this case?
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.