Is my experience good enough?

wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
Been using the forum for little over a year, and must say its amazing. So much experience to gather from, so I've got a question.

I'm wanting to get into Networking, i've pursued the qualifications I hopefully need (IT degree, N+, CCNA and half way through a Masters in Networking). I'm actually currently working at a company doing web design (my first job out of University), I've been here 3 years and I've set up load balancing cloud servers on a VLAN, used Linux Servers a fair bit, built the website and its doing very well. I also created and manage the helpdesk for users.

My question is, is this enough for an entry Networking job? There are quite a lot of 1st line support jobs and IT Systems Analyst (requiring MS Server which I'm currently studying...) jobs at very small companies locally but I'm worried about wasting my time in a job thats not going to help me when I could have enough experience already that would get me an entry level job. I'm 28 now and would really like my first entry job before 30, plus my certs would expire if I don't act before then.

I live in a pretty remote area and relocation is not possible for the next 2 years, which is the problem with the jobs. I'm not learning anymore at my current job but it probably pays more than support role, this doesn't bother me but should I wait for something better to come up or move out to something else asap?

Sorry for the ramblings but as you can tell I'm sort of confused on what path I should take.

Thanks

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Sounds like you have enough for an entry level job, someone might even take a chance for a mid level job on you depending how well you understand those VLANs and LBs you set up.

If there are not jobs in your area though it doesn't really matter what kind of experience and qualifications you have. I've had to move quite a few times to move up and find the perfect type of position I wanted.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah thats the trouble with my location, I went for an interview a couple of years ago for an IT company locally and did not get the job of IT Systems Admin which included Linux/Networking, which set me on the certs path because I realised I needed to learn more. Looking back I feel like an idiot because he offered me a lower paid position on their helpdesk which I declined. Judging by what I've read on here that was the way I should have gone and probably would be sitting here now in the job I originally wanted!

I think im going to go back to that company and ask for a job, if he sees I've been proactive since then, he might take a chance on me, I'd totally go for that helpdesk now that I know thats what it takes! Suppose its not a wasted year as I've managed to get Cisco certified which I may not have done had I not got turned down...
  • DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It sounds like you meet several of the prerequisites for an entry-level "networking" job. The tough part is living in a remote area. Are you planning to move after the two years? If so, I would get as much experience as possible before then. That way when you're ready to move, you'll be in an even better spot in a new location.
  • wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah planning on moving to Australia in 2 years, and to an area where there will be jobs, which is why I need to get in somewhere soon so I can use the job for an emigrating skill, think I need to have been in the job 12 months to qualify too so time is against me! I'm going to carry on with the certs, but it looks like a finding a help desk job this year then start looking for a networking role straight away and take the hit travel 1.5 hour each day to a city, will be tough 3 hours per day travel but not many options at the moment and would only be for a year probably.