Windows 2003 Permissions

JohnnyBigglesJohnnyBiggles Member Posts: 273
I'm half in idiot-mode today and half swamped with a list of other issues that went on today so forgive my basic line of questioning but here goes:

On server 2003, we have a Drive > Share > Folder

It's fine that users on the network can see the share, but only certain users are allowed to access it.

Through playing around, Somehow I can't distinguish the Share tab > Permissions from the Security Tab Permissions, since I keep getting all or nothing with specific users. I don't want all folders in that share to be seen even, but even if they are they should not be readable. If I add myself to the share tab permissions ('Everyone' is limited) with full access, I can't access the share until I also add myself to the permissions on the security tab (full), but then I can see everything in the share. How can I enable the share to be seen across the network, but only one folder is accessible to specific users who have full access to its contents?

Comments

• phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Ah, share perms vs ntfs perms. The quickest solution which most people follow is, set share permissions to full control for everybody and then set granular permissions under security tab aka ntfs perms.
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Ah, share perms vs ntfs perms. The quickest solution which most people follow is, set share permissions to full control for everybody and then set granular permissions under security tab aka ntfs perms.

+1 this is what I have always done.
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    phoeneous wrote: »

+1 on this. And I'll add a bit more.. don't add users directly to the folder(s).
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.