What am I qualified for?

JohnjonesJohnjones Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
Certifications I currently have: VCP5, CCNA Sec, Win7, CASP, Net, Sec, A+, and 1 more exam to complete MCSA 12.

I have over six years of experience as a sys admin as well. I'm currently unemployed and looking for work everywhere. I tried admin, engineer, help desk, and desktop support. My resume is free of errors and common mistakes. I live in Florida if it matters.

What type of work should I be looking for?

Thanks.

Comments

• darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you looking to specialize?

You should.

If so, what peaks your interest?
    :twisted:
  • JohnjonesJohnjones Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Would like to stick with servers/virtual tech.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I'd recommend that you look for work within your experience lane. You have experience in servers and virtualization, so that should probably be your focus area.

Are you opposed to relocation?

I read another thread complaining about Florida earlier this evening, so now I'm beginning to think it might not be a coincidence.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    The cert list is very well-rounded, does your work experience reflect the same?

If so, I would (without knowing anything else besides what you posted) pen you as a infrastructure/systems engineer. These are pretty much higher JOAT positions that focus a lot on design and execution.
  • 100k100k Member Posts: 196
    I live in Florida and there are few postings here and there but they are in the bigger cities. Orlando, Tampa ect...
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Check indeed.com and search for the certifications you currently have. You may find a few matches.
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I wouldn't waste your time with applying to helpdesk/desktop jobs; You're way overqualified for those and they know it.

A Systems Engineer or Virtualization position sound right up your alley. I know you say your resume is free of mistakes but post it up anyway for us to review, mark up and possibly refer you to a few positions.
  • JohnjonesJohnjones Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So I applied for a few jobs in a different city and immediately received responses. Go figure.
  • w00tw00t Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I lived in FL for my whole life basically and I moved to Atlanta for better options. I just could not find a good job in FL. I lived in the Bradenton/Sarasota area and the job aspects there are slim. Even Tampa and Orlando just did not seem to be all that great.