Options

Please clarify practice exam question

DaPunnisherDaPunnisher Member Posts: 108
19. You are the domain administrator for a small Windows 2003 domain. You created a new shared folder on FileServer01 and assigned the share permission Change to Everyone. Lisa, a user from the Finance department, has been granted Full Control NTFS permission to the folder. Lisa is also a member of the Sales group, which has been assigned Read NTFS permissions.

What are John's effective permissions when connecting to the shared folder?
a. Read
b. Read & Execute
c. Change
d. Full Control

Answer(s): c. Change

Your Answer(s): a. Read

Explanation:
The effective NTFS permissions are the sum of the permissions assigned to user and to groups the user belongs to. (Except for explicit deny permissions which overrides any other conflicting permissions assigned.) When you combine the effective NTFS permissions and the effective Share permissions the most restrictive applies.

Exam Objectives:
- Manage shared folder permissions.

Why wouldn' READ be the correct answer since it is the most restrictive permission?

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The keyword in the explanation is 'effective'. As mentioned in the explanation: The effective NTFS permissions are the sum of the permissions assigned to user and to groups the user belongs to. The effective NTFS permissions for Lisa are Read + Full Control = Full Control

Also mentioned in the explanation: When you combine the effective NTFS permissions and the effective Share permissions the most restrictive applies. So if you combine the effective NTFS permissions Full control, with the Share permission Change, the result is Change.

Check the following topic for similar explanations:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4104
  • Options
    rphannrphann Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's a pretty tricky question, so you have to read it carefully.

Share permission: Change
    NTFS permissions: Full Control + Read = Full Control

Effective permissions: Change + Full Control = Change

So Lisa's effective permission would be Change since it's the most restrictive.

Keep up the good work Johan!!! :D
  • Options
    cestricklincestricklin Inactive Imported Users Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thats why Johan is the man...I love tricky Q's like that, keeps the brain in check...great work Johan

~C
    "HE WHO BELIEVES, IS HE WHO SUCCEDES"
  • Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    What are John's effective permissions when connecting to the shared folder?
    i dont get it. what ever does John have to do with the question, it only talked about Lisa.
    the only thing we know about John is that he was assingned the "change" share permission (everybody = change).
    we know nothing about his NTFS permissions.
    witty comment
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    John indeed has nothing to do with it. John=Lisa. This is already corrected in the online version. If you follow the link in my post above, you can see my other question on which I based this question, in which the lead role is assigned to John. icon_wink.gif