Options

Virtual Machines

DeanimatorDeanimator Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've got more than ten years of exprience building small Linux servers (mostly Samba), and the occasional desktop.

I've decided to get my RHCE and am putting together the tools that I need to study.

I inherited a former boss's Samba server which I built, after I built him a newer one last year.

I've installed CentOS on it, but after setting it up, I've discovered that I will need to run KVM for virtual machines and neither the processor (nor I believe, the motherboard) support AMD-V.

Does anyone have any suggestions for overcoming this problem?

Is it something which will probably prevent me from passing the test?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    JoseJimenezJoseJimenez Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What processor/and motherboard is it?
    Anyway, if that is really the case I would use Xen paravirtualization instead. Managing tools are the same (virsh, virt-manager).
    More info on setting up Xen hypervisor (Dom0):
    HowTos/Xen/Xen4QuickStart - CentOS Wiki

There is also great book from "No Starch Press": The book of Xen.
  • Options
    DeanimatorDeanimator Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What processor/and motherboard is it?
    Anyway, if that is really the case I would use Xen paravirtualization instead. Managing tools are the same (virsh, virt-manager).
    More info on setting up Xen hypervisor (Dom0):
    HowTos/Xen/Xen4QuickStart - CentOS Wiki

There is also great book from "No Starch Press": The book of Xen.
    I'm in the office right now, but from memory:

Processor: Athlon X64 3000+
    Motherboard: ECS NForce4 A939

I talked to the person I got the system from yesterday, and if it does hardware virtualization, I can borrow the new server I built for as long as I need it, since he had to move to a smaller office, doesn't have any place to set it up, and doesn't expect to use it as a server again. I'll be setting it up in his office tomorrow night and checking it for hardware virtualization capability.
  • Options
    JoseJimenezJoseJimenez Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, I think AMD-V went mainstream with socket AM2. Also, this is single core ... not a very good choice for multiple VMs.