Options

Need guidance and a reality check

Hello everyone, im new here(tho i have followed the forums off and on). I need help, I need someone experienced in the IT field to give it to me straight. Basically, my situation is this, I have a set of goals(think of it as a new years resolution), i want these certs: Network+, A+, CCNA, CCENT, Security+, Server+, CCNP, CCIE, and my ultimate goal of becoming a network admin. preferably by Jan 1, 2015. Why do I want to reach these goals? Because I need a change in my life, from the time i graduated HS up until now(at 21 years old) i have been lost and desperately trying to figure out what to do with my life, I finally decided I wanted to be a part of the IT world. This is because i now realize how important IT is. Now, before I continue, let me make it clear that i have absolutely no prior knowledge or experience in IT, only from the years using my PC(sadly, mostly gaming and watching youtube videos), I haven't done anything productive with my pc history(or life, for that matter). I need to change, but i'm alone in this, I have no one to mentor me. I need someone here to tell me if it's even possible to reach these goals in the allotted time i have given, or at all. I try to self study but it's hard, I lose focus alot and am always fighting the urge to just give it up(I'm a quitter, when things get too difficult i bail). But im done giving up, I have to do this. The main reason i feel it's hard for me to study is because I need a structured study plan, I just don't know how to study on my own, don't know where to start. I have all these resources at my disposal(train signal, prof messer, cbt nuggets, todd lamle book, and a bunch of other things, i just don't know how to use them effectively. I think i learn best visually(videos) and with hands on. Learning from books is kinda hard for me. Sorry for the long(and possibly depressing) post. I really want to pursue this, I just don't know how. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Currently reading Network Warrior

Comments

• Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Anything is possible, my friend. If you want to be a network admin, you really don't need to get the A+ or Server+. How much network knowledge do you have? If you have none, I'd suggest buying a Network+ book, read it, conquer it, and then move into Cisco. Now, it's completely up to you if you take the Network+. Many people will say yes, many will say no. I would say take it. Nothing better than resume fodder.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Being in your shoes only 24 months ago, I understand where you're coming from. I'm 22 now, made some relatively smart jumps and made unbelievable (I still don't know how I did it) progress. I've only had an IT job for 12 months but have been acquiring certifications for the full 24. Based on my experience, I'd recommend the following:

- Get your A+ certification. Some may say that it isn't necessary, but having very little prior experience in IT, it helped me understand basic industry terms and processes. There are many instances, even now, where I overhear a term that I learned in A+ though I wouldn't have known (outside of experience) otherwise.

- Go for the Network+. Again, some people will tell you to go with a CCNA and skip the Network+, but having both, I know that the Network+ laid a more broad foundation and touched on some technologies that the CCNA didn't cover.

- Study for and pass the CCENT and figure out what you want to do. The CCENT was harder (in my opinion) than the CCNA and built upon the foundation laid by Network+. The CCENT is now the baseline certification required for further Cisco growth. From the CCENT, you can now go into CCNA: Security, CCNA: Routing and Switching, etc.

You will really need to decide where you're wanting to go within IT. If you're focused on networking specifically, following the Cisco path wouldn't be a good idea. Wherever you choose to go, you'll need to start a foundation in IT in (following the usual path of progression) either Help Desk or Desktop Support. My recommendation would be to ground yourself in some good base experience with the A+ and Network+, polish the resume, and start looking for jobs. Depending on the type of position you're in with the first IT position you land, my recommendation would be to stay for 8-14 months minimum and start looking towards a NOC tech role.

You sound exactly like me nearly two years ago. If you have the dedication and motivation to progress through some really, really boring sh*t, you'll come out ahead. It won't be easy, but the payoff is great (~20k salary in summer of 2012, 55k + benefits now). If you need a mentor, shoot me a message. I'd be glad to talk you through your career goals.

~ MSP
  • Options
    StonedHitmanStonedHitman Member Posts: 120
    Thanks for the replies guys, it does help with motivation. I look at those shiny certifications you have, it just motivates me even more. As you said MSP, i believe the networking path is where i'd like to focus intensively. Again, I appreciate the advice.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    As other have said anything is possible, but your goals are highly unlikely. There are people that here that have been working on certifications and jobs for a few years or more that are still not on the network admin level or anywhere near a CCIE.

What I would suggest to you is finding an IT job, any IT job even if it is not related to networking. While looking for this job start working on your CCNA. From there you will be able to more accurately gauge your goals.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One thing I would recommend is getting a base with CompTIA certs (N+, S+, maybe A+ if you have the money and time - it can't hurt) and then going for CCNA. Once you have the CCNA, branch out with some of the other associate certifications like Voice, Wireless, Security, et cetera; this will give you some feedback on what you might enjoy specializing in. Some people love routers and switches; other people are more interested in security concepts, and still others prefer higher-level design, or technical specialties like wireless or virtualization or voice / video, et cetera.

That's what I'm doing right now, actually - I have the CCNA and just about enough experience to back it up, but not nearly enough to back up a CCNP, so I'm going to hold off on the next level of certifications and go broad with as many associate level certs as possible until I find the path that I'm most interested in. At first I thought it would be security, and I still like that field, but I might take Wireless (for instance) and discover that I just really really love designing and configuring wireless infrastructures, or whatever. I even studied Microsoft Windows Server to see if sysadmin was appealing. There are hundreds of possibilities out there - Juniper, VMware, Linux, servers, applications, security design, pen-testing, voice, video, wireless, design... just to name a few. You'll find something that you feel passionate about and then the hours and hours of studying won't feel like a burden.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    As other have said anything is possible, but your goals are highly unlikely. There are people that here that have been working on certifications and jobs for a few years or more that are still not on the network admin level or anywhere near a CCIE.

What I would suggest to you is finding an IT job, any IT job even if it is not related to networking. While looking for this job start working on your CCNA. From there you will be able to more accurately gauge your goals.

I guess I didn't think about how difficult some of these certs would be compared to like, net+. For some reason i had it in my mind that, if i can get network+,CCENT, and CCNA, then i'd be ready for anything lol. I think my problem is that I have a habit of thinking and planning way too far ahead, and that just makes it seem like such a daunting task that I just lose motivation and give up. I think you may have just set me on a proper path. Thank you for that. Oh and btw, I looked into the CCIE cert a little more, and I think i'll put that one on the back burner for now lol.
  • Options
    I see a lot of people that plan so far ahead when first starting. Now there is nothing wrong with planning ahead, but this is an industry that changes very quickly and what cert is good this year may not be the next. It makes much more sense to make your certification plans more of an immediate and moving goal in my opinion. Zero to CCIE is more of a realistic five year goal honestly.
  • Options
    Man, everyone here is so helpful. I'm glad to have registered. I failed to mention this in my original post, but starting this coming monday I will be beginning a networking class at my local trade school. There are 2 levels, each lasting approximately 6 months. What's better is that they even have an A+ class, 3 levels for that one. It is a great school, and the advice you guys have given me will not go to waste. I hope that when my IT knowledge grows, and I gain the proper certs, I too can guide those new to the industry.
  • Options
    If you know for sure networking is what you want to do I'd skip the A+ and N+ certifications. It's not really going to help you much on this side of the house.
  • Options
    If you know for sure networking is what you want to do I'd skip the A+ and N+ certifications. It's not really going to help you much on this side of the house.

Really? Should I just go with CCNA like you said in your other post? N+ won't help me at all?
  • Options
    bobloblawbobloblaw Member Posts: 228
    CCNA will make the Network+ redundant.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think you need to start with 1 certification first. You will have much better idea of what IT involves when you have passed your first exam.
    Don't give in to the temptation to brain ****.

When I started planning to move into networking about 8 months ago I started gathering reference material to study. 4 months later I had 100s if not 1000s of web links videos books pdfs labs. etc etc etc...

There really is to much information out there. Just pick one or two sources and read them / watch them. Then pick one or two more.

Good Luck
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□

I'd think the A+ and N+ would help him land his intro job. I can't see him having much luck landing something in the field with a CCNA alone.
  • Options
    Really? Should I just go with CCNA like you said in your other post? N+ won't help me at all?

That is what I would did and would suggest to anyone else. I'd never suggest anyone to go for the N+ if they plan on going for the CCNA also. It's redundant and N+ isn't something anyone will be looking for on the network side of the house. Save yourself a couple hundred bucks.
  • Options
    MSP-IT wrote: »
    I'd think the A+ and N+ would help him land his intro job. I can't see him having much luck landing something in the field with a CCNA alone.

I disagree they would help on a networking job, but hey we all have our own opinions.
  • Options
    Interesting. I will definitely give it much thought. I really do appreciate all your guys' helpful opinions. Let's say I do go straight for a CCNA, what would be the best way to prepare for that? All the books/videos I have for N+, would that help with CCNA in addition to whatever CCNA study material i decide to use? I ask this because I hear ppl say that while the cisco certs are geared more towards cisco systems, both cisco and comptia cover similar topics.
  • Options
    Sure they will help with the basics and will probably have quite a bit of overlap. Cisco certifications are obviously geared towards Cisco equipment, but they definitely test on standard protocols, subnetting, etc that is the same across all vendors.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would say assuming you want a life, are not Einstein, and want to get experience along with certifications (And experience is just as important as certs if you want to be an admin). For the CCNA and CCNP courses allow on average 2 - 3 months per exam, so that's between 8 and 12 months to get your CCNP.

It might be tempting to try to rush to get certs, but believe me taking it steady really helps. Back around 2007 i was in your shoes (but a bit older) I had been a scientist, bowling machine mechanic, worked in PC world, maintenance in night clubs, .... in 2005 I moved to IT and for a few years didn't really know what to do. Fortunately I got in to networking just auditing switches and replacing old hardware really basic stuff. Did that for a few years still not really knowing where I was going. Then in 2007 I sat down and studied from my CCNA, I left that job in 2010 still with only a CCNA but having carried out a complete site wide refresh and upgrade. A few jobs down the line I am now developing network for greenfield sites, Visiting CISCO headquarters to meet with there engineers discussing implementing new technologies on our sites and spending budgets that still make my head swim. Still only a CCNA though...

Aim for Step one first, set a goal to achieve that, once you have it look to see what you want you next goal to be, another cert?? a new job?? a promatation, a new project... Part of me looks back thinking I should have my CCNP by now, but another part sees the last 6 years filled with various achievements, and just because they are not certifications does not make them any less valid or relevant to new employers. Set small goals and achive them, once you look back and see you have done that you will feel motivated to set new one to keep progressing. Set a huge goal and it will hang over you like something you can never archive.

Remember a journey of 1000's miles starts with a single step, followed by another and another. Don't worry about where the journey is going to end, just make sure you don't stop walking and enjoy the view along the way.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.