Options

70-680 Deployment and USMT question

vlakarmisvlakarmis Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
In the Technet guides it says a Windows 7 DVD or CD is needed for the deployment and offline migration from XP to Windows 7. Cant you just use a windows 7 image on a flash drive?

Comments

• Options
    4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    It's been a while since I have done this, but if I remember correctly, for offline migrations, all you need is a WinPE disc with USMT on it. Boot to the disc, make sure you have network connectivity if you are migrating to a network share. Browse to the USMT folder and use scanstate to capture or loadstate to load a user state.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    vlakarmisvlakarmis Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply. To be honest I jumped ahead of schedule on USMT so I decided to just use Windows Easy Transfer fo the time being.

On another note, I formatted a usb flash drive using diskpart as a fat32 volume, and copied the files from the windows 7 setup cd onto it but I cannot for the life of me understand why my VM running windows XP does not boot from it when I restart. I have gone into the BIOS settings and removable disk is the first option to boot from so that's not the problem. Is it because I am supposed to just use Windows Upgrade Advisor?
  • Options
    coralreefguycoralreefguy Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can't directly upgrade XP to 7. You need to wipe and load, or go to Vista SP2 first then upgrade again to Windows 7.

Windows Upgrade Advisor just advises you on the compatibility of your current machine to the next, and what would and wouldn't be transferred in an upgrade situation.

In a migration scenario you'd be copying the files for the migration tool onto the computer you plan to migrate from (XP), but if you're booting it's to the PE disc, not installation media. There is a big difference.

If I'm not making sense, you may want to watch the professor messer videos on USMT and Migrations to get a complete understanding. I've included the links below:

Upgrading to Windows 7:
    http://www.professormesser.com/microsoft-70-680/upgrading-to-windows-7/

Migrating user profiles using the User State Migration Tool:
    http://www.professormesser.com/microsoft-70-680/user-state-migration-tool/
    System Administrator / DevOps guy

2015 passed: CCNA R/S, CCNA Sec, Project+, VCP5-DCV
    2016 goals: MCSE Server 2012; continue to use/learn more Chef w/Ruby and Powershell on Azure