Options

Linux/Unix class recommendations?

OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I am currently beginning to look for a job after my contract with the Air Force is up. I have put my resume on Monster and been receiving at least an email/call a day about a job. What I have noticed with some of them is that they require knowledge in Linux/Unix environment OS. Most of these jobs have been network engineer, however I have also been offered network administrator and security analyst. What would be a good class that primarily entails UNIX OS that could help me in this grand endeavor? Any help would be highly appreciated. :D
:study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []

Comments

• Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you want to go on the cheap, CBT Nuggets has Linux "courses" that will give you a working level knowledge of Linux. If you need that hands on have a teacher there thing look for night classes in college and go for a linux certification. The training should be predominately in command line.

The basics of Linux are:

- common commands (cp, mv, chown, chgrp, etc, etc, etc).
    - understanding vi (write your resume in vi lol)
    - BASH scripting (is easy to do when you know the command commands)

I don't think you'd need formal training for these, it's more a matter of repetition in getting them in your head. Once you learn the commands they stay in your head..forever.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    While pricey, I believe that the official Red Hat classes are really great. I recommend you start self-studying the Linux+ certification first, and try to practice everything in this certification objectives list. This will be a great Intro
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    I went to one at my local college. We spent 9 months building 3 servers (Debian, CentOS and Solaris) then we hooked them all together with kerberos, PKI, web services and various monitoring. It was pretty spendy but well worth it.