Options

Security+ or CEH?

I've started going through the Security+ material and I'm bored out of my mind. It's all stuff I've known for years except for a few acronyms. I was thinking about doing the Certified Ethical Hacker exam instead because that could be more interesting. If I do the CEH will employers know that covers the Sec+ material, and will that help me get a job as much as the Sec+ exam? I feel like I could knock out the Sec+ plus in under a week easily, and if doing so will help get a job more than the CEH it would be dumb not to because it's too easy.

Comments

• Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I believe in the USA having the Security+ exam is beneficial for certain government jobs. If the content is easy go write the exam. I have not written the CE|H exam, but I did read the material and it's more advanced than when compared to Security+

To be honest, I don't think either exam would "get you a job". If you're a system admin, they'd definitely round out the resume and make you more saleable to a client. If you're a budding security type having both exams would probably open doors for a junior security position.
  • Options
    JaneDoeJaneDoe Member Posts: 171
    If I just did the CEH do you think the Security+ would help people notice my resume?
  • Options
    JaneDoe wrote: »
    If I just did the CEH do you think the Security+ would help people notice my resume?

Jane, I think certain US government jobs require Security+ so it might be a good idea. I'm sure Americans can answer this as I'm not from the USA
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Sec+ is a requirement for government jobs. For example, if you want to work for the DoD. CEH is higher level and is highly desired by HR(mostly the people who don't understand these things). When looking for a infosec related job, the CEH helps a lot. So, what do you want to achieve?
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Listing the CEH on a resume can either be beneficial or it can backfire depending on who's looking at the resume. If I saw it listed, I'd want to see what other experience and/or certifications are in place to complement the CEH. The CEH doesn't have a lot of credibility for many professionals in infosec. Then again, certifications in general don't hold much value for a lot of folks so your weight will have to be carried by your thought process, aptitude, and attitude because those things (and how well you convey them during an interview) tells a lot about your value proposition.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    ^^

Listing any security/hacking certification can definitely backfire for you. I've personally seen a superior question someone having security/hacking certs wondering why they would want them. It was implied it was likely for no good. I guess the manager fears the subordinate may know more than he does & that could be used against him.
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You also have to question people who have a ton of certs. Like me. Seriously. Am I really smart ... or am I just good at taking exams? Many people look down at security certifications as a joke, and in many ways I agree with them. I find it hard to take seriously that I'm "certified" based on the traditional formality and connotation of what "certification" implies.

Given how fast-changing, dynamic, and wild-wild-west infosec is, today's certification achievement is tomorrow's Meh in many ways. Security is a lot more about mindset, approach, mental flexibility, creativity, persistence, and ambition rather than technical chops.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    docrice wrote: »
    Given how fast-changing, dynamic, and wild-wild-west infosec is, today's certification achievement is tomorrow's Meh in many ways. Security is a lot more about mindset, approach, mental flexibility, creativity, persistence, and ambition rather than technical chops.
    I get that, however it's hard to put those things on a resume, so I figure passing an easy certification exam and putting that on my resume will help show employers notice I know my stuff when it comes to security. I've worked with a lot of people who say I have "a mind for security", that's part of why the Sec+ exam is boring me out of my mind.
  • Options
    proph21proph21 Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JaneDoe wrote: »
    I get that, however it's hard to put those things on a resume, so I figure passing an easy certification exam and putting that on my resume will help show employers notice I know my stuff when it comes to security. I've worked with a lot of people who say I have "a mind for security", that's part of why the Sec+ exam is boring me out of my mind.

Getting the Sec+ cert does have several benefits. As others have mentioned, with the Sec+ cert, you meet DoD IAT Level II as well as DoD IAM Level I compliance (I believe this is correct). That helps when applying for government jobs that need you to meet this requirement. You are also correct by saying that it can help your resume. When HR checks out your resume and see's you have certs, it can increase the chance of getting an interview depending on the company. I have talked to a hiring manager that says they don't give a poop about certs, but have also talked to some that say they really like to see certs and will more likely call that person for an interview if they like the rest of the resume. Of course, the final benefit is the reward of learning & reinforcing security concepts so they hopefully become second nature to you :)
  • Options
    I will never work for the DoD; I'd rather work at McDonalds than for the DoD.
  • Options
    bull313bull313 Member Posts: 138
    I resemble that remark! I just interviewed with Wendy's for a night job as my retail day job isn't cutting it, LOL! icon_lol.gif
    "Follow your dreams. You CAN reach your goals. I'm living proof. Beefcake! BeefCAAAAAAAKKKKE!!!"-Eric Cartman
  • Options
    Good Man icon_cool.gif! And good luck with your interview.
  • Options
    Just passed the Sec+. It was as easy as I though it would be.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Congrats!

True, it is not a difficult exam. In the end I see it as higher ROI than C|EH unless you're going for a position that specifies C|EH, which is few and far between.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! Now go and work towards more security certifications :)
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Thanks, I figured that if it was as easy as it seemed, it made sense to get the cert. I hope I have a good broad base of certs now that will help bring attention to my resume when I start applying for jobs later in the semester. I wish I had time to do a Linux cert, but the level of brute memorization required for the Linux+ doesn't appeal to me (--help & the man command are my best friends), and trying to do the RHCSA while I'm taking 18 credits doesn't seem like a good idea, so I guess that will have to wait.
  • Options
    malikbassalmalikbassal Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    how much is the cost for security+ certificaiton
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Security+ is an exam on all of security from a broad level, where CEH is on pen testing or ethical hacking. Think of CEH as a subset of security but in depth, security+ covers a lot but not in depth.

I assume you do not have a CISSP? You need some well rounded cert to show you aren't a one trick pony and knowledge is power. If you can prepare for it quickly, just knock it out and move on.
  • Options
    malikbassalmalikbassal Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□