Options

What are the top Computer Science schools to go

ReliableGuy2.0ReliableGuy2.0 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am kinda of prep. I dress very high-class, high maintenance, pretty smart (3.0), and generally get by by scholarsihps. I am considering changing my major from information science to computer science to get more opportunities once I leave my house. Also, I want to know is information science and computer science, the same thing. One seems like about studying information and the other seems like about studying computers. They seem interwined, but one is closer to information security. Also, what the best looking schools to get into for computer preps, more specifically around Maryland where I live. I am considering going to multiple of them so I can see what college is best.

Comments

• Options
    linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I want to know is information science and computer science, the same thing.

From looking at Wikipedia, no.
    Information science is often (mistakenly) considered a branch of computer science. However, it is actually a broad, interdisciplinary field, incorporating not only aspects of computer science, but often diverse fields ...

From lookin at this school's website, and looking at the brief overview of this course, I would say yes.

Introduction to Information Science - IS 2000

Conclusion: Depends upon who you ask.
    Also, what the best looking schools to get into for computer preps, more specifically around Maryland where I live. I am considering going to multiple of them so I can see what college is best.

What criteria makes a school look like the best to you?
    US News?
    Whether or not it has a football team?
    Program rigor?
    Named after a state?
    Popular?
    What?

John Hopkins is a pretty popular name, but they don't play Division I football.

In general, if money or time is not a limitation, I'd recommend that you attend a school that has a Division I football team. In your area, that would be University of Maryland, or the US Naval Academy. The Naval Academy is not named after a state, and probably requires more discipline than you're looking for. :)

University of Maryland would be my recommendation. It has a Division I football team, is named after a state, and is fairly popular in the area. There are several schools in the system, so choose the one with the Terps (College Park).

I pulled the list of schools in your state from this website:
    Colleges and Universities

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    linuxlover wrote: »
    MIT

7chars

Huh? MIT, if we're referring to the same school, is in Massachusetts.

The OP is in Maryland.
    more specifically around Maryland where I live

By car, Massachusetts is over 6 hours from Maryland.

Distance is relative.

If the OP was in Texas, he could drive 6 hours and still not be out of the state, depending on which way he went. Since he said Maryland area, I figured the OP wanted to deal with schools in that vicinity.

I guess a border state of Maryland wouldn't be so bad .. Massachusetts seems like it might just be too far away, to be considered "around Maryland".

I wonder what the OP has to say.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    prampram Member Posts: 171
    Are you not a native english speaker?
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Personally, if you're trying to go to the best school for Computer Science you need to leave Maryland.

Best Computer Science Programs in the country:

Carnegie Mellon
    MIT
    Stanford
    Berkeley
    Cornell

Huge difference between information science and computer science.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    dpsmooth15dpsmooth15 Banned Posts: 155
    the grinch should of just added Yale and Harvard to the list icon_rolleyes.gif j
  • Options
    JaneDoeJaneDoe Member Posts: 171
    MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology), CMU (Carnegie Mellon University), California Institute of Technology, Stanford, and Cornell are the top Computer Science schools in the US. You'd need a 4.0 to get into those schools as well as a list of impressive extracurricular activities. The University of Maryland has a good engineering and computer science program, it's closer to you, you'd have in state tuition, and it's much easier to get in.

Computer Science is all programing, while information science is more systems analysis and administration (at least that's how it is at my university).
  • Options
    JaneDoeJaneDoe Member Posts: 171
    dpsmooth15 wrote: »
    the grinch should of just added Yale and Harvard to the list
    Don't forget Princeton, John Hopkins, and all other Ivy League schools. I think for Computer Science MIT has a better program than Harvard.

If you can get into John Hopkins, and you're going for computer science not football, Hopkins is a much better school than University of Maryland, however they typically expect a GPA closer to 4.0 than 3.0. John Hopkins is in Baltimore.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ah I took the top five ;)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff