Options

Why do you love/hate technology?

UkimokiaUkimokia Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
What brought you into the IT field? Was it the money? The community? The love of tinkering with machines?

Do you think technology sometimes goes to far?

Personally, what got me into the IT field was my love for the internet, and wanting to find out more how it works and how this big bahemoth beside me worked. So I opened it up and started searching the serieal numbers and finding out what stuff was. Then I went to a tech acadamy alongside High School, and got my A+.

What about you?

Also, I've realized since I've joined Help Desk I no longer call computer computers. I call them machines a lot.

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Why do I love it?

1. Get to work on interesting projects
    2. No day is the same
    3. I'm good at figuring things out so I do well
    4. Fixing something or setting something up and then getting praise for it is better then any drug

Why do I hate it?

1. People think because you're in IT you want to fix stuff for them, sorry I am here for a party not to troubleshoot your PC
    2. Every changing priorities - not a lot of jobs out there where the importance of a matter can change by the hour
    3. Changing so fast - it can be hard to stay on top of things (which is my a firm base is important)
    4. Sometimes it just doesn't work - I've worked on a number of projects where everything was setup correctly and even the vendor was like "um I have no idea"
    5. Stress - yeah everyone has stress, but IT seems to have more then it's fair share
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    proph21proph21 Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What brought me into the world of computers was a game called Counter Strike. Then I developed a fascination with the Internet, how my computer worked, how to make it faster, how LANs worked, etc.

During this journey, I saw friends and family all around me getting infected by malware, falling for scams, having applications fail due to improper configuration, etc. At that point, I knew that I wanted to get into the cyber/info security field so that I could help others because I have seen first-hand (on a small scale) the stress, pain, and financial loss that can come from those not aware of the threats & risks in the field of technology.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Only reason I got into computers was because I wanted to save money on a PC to play video games and the person who was supposed to help me build it got a job elsewhere and moved. So I had to get a book on building PCs and ended up liking it so I started doing it for others so I could learn at their expense. This was during the .Com boom so I kinda lucked out with the timing.

One thing that is really bugging me about technology is the consumer market's lack of or what I consider lack of security standards with internet enabled devices. Companies sell and quickly abandon or don't even try to update consumer level devices knowing the average consumer doesn't know/understand the importance of basic security. So much stuff defaults to wide open for ease of setup.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I was very interested in computers in high school (15 years ago), but went to college and got an associate's degree in golf course operations... ultimately I didn't feel mentally challenged enough working for a landscaping company, and I was tired of coming home hot, sweaty and muddy every day for very little pay, so I decided to join the USAF. I took the DLAB (Defense Language Aptitude Battery) and just missed out on scoring high enough to be a linguist. So decided that computers were the next best thing... at the time, no enlistment bonus because it was a hot field, but was sold on the promise of a max re-enlistment bonus. A few months before I was eligible to re-enlist, it went to zero, thanks to all the E-5s and E-6s who crosstrained into the field and flooded it out. I don't regret joining up though but I am glad I got out.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    @tpatt They feel it's more important to be first to market instead of first to have a functional, secure device. #InternetOfThings #Sucks
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Because IT is all about logic. unlike Science (which I also love), you know he answer in IT is there. Its always 1 or 0 / Yes or No. Based on that its very easy to break down complex solutions in to simple blocks. In a lot of ways its much like programming, you build modules and then inter connect them. There is nothing in computing that says you cant do something. Some times by default you are not able to, but with a bit of searching and creating you can always end up with a solution that meets the requirement. Science on the other hand is the unknown and you can't always find the answer by working logically, which is why I like my job so much, I get to work in science and talk to the scientists about there work, but work in IT which is the job I love doing.

There is something about thinking of the traffic going through the core switch / routers, millions of packets every second and they are obeying the rules that I have configured. From that stream of data I can pick out one single packets, pause the flow and place it at the front of the queue all with out a single user noticing. Or for every packet I can read the header and even inspect that data with in the payload and make a decision based on that with out interrupting the flow.

People talk about scripts automating repetitive tasks, but with in the OS and in switching and routing protocols is where this really is taken to the extreme. because the config on the routers and switch is my scripts, its where I set up what I want to happen and the it gets carried out at a rate that would not be possible even if every person on the planet was to lend a hand. Just think how many times faster it is than if every packet had to be examined by a person at each step? and remember its only in the last 100 years that we have really moved from hand delivered letters to what we have now?

they say the younger generation (born after 2000) will have evolved there way of thinking due to the computer. Before memorising facts was just as important as being able to use those facts because information was hard to find. Now though children have access to vast quanties of data as and when they need it. More time can be spent analysing data and it can be done so in much larger data sets. People who are able to take advantage of this are going to see the world in a much different way to us older generation. Working in science I have seen the massive effect computers have on research, the y take the repetitive jobs that don't need much thought and complete them with less errors and far far faster than even the best human can, and free up the scientist to think about the next step in there research providing them with all the resources and data they need.

looking around your office almost nothing can be designed / produces or delivered with out the use of a IT, its applications are unlimited and I chose the network because its the link that binds it all together. I like the fact it gives me a portal in to the servers/storage/programs/applications... I don't think the network part is the most important or the best.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,566 Mod
    What I like about IT?
    - The problem solving aspect
    - The career opportunities

What I don't like about IT?
    - It's less social than I want it to be, but this varies from organization to organization.
    - How non-IT people view IT guys negatively sometimes.

I like my job.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
    Rather then repeat the same mundane steps day to day in other fields, I feel in IT you get to deal with new issues everyday, which means learning something new nearly every day since technology evolves at such a fast pace.

Thats why I got into IT, I'd rather use my brain to solve a problem then my body.

....and I'm a pc enthusiast :D
    "The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The number one reason by far for me is that I get to do something different everyday. When I was 16-17 I had a file clerk job at an accounting firm during the summers and oh man did those days suck. There is nothing worse then coming in on a daily basis and doing the same thing. I have not clue how the people there were content with doing the same thing daily for 20+ years. It really boggles my mind.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    getting praise for it is better then any drug

You get ... praise ?

My praise here in IT is the lack of complaints :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got into IT because I was fascinated with the Internet (very early adopter) and wanted to know more.

- constantly learning
    - dynamic career
    - i just like the stuff

There is nothing about tech I dislike though I admit to sometimes getting weary of forever studying and reading. What I am not a fan of is the corporate enterprise & the deep layers of "process" along with the personalities. Still way to many guys doing their best to protect their little "patch of grass".
  • Options
    wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Games got me into IT. Our first PC was a DOS computer and it wasnt the easiest of things for 10 year old to make play games but I figured it out, ever since then my brain has that logic in thinking. Its funny, I started out using command line before windows and soon Im going to take L+ and learn it all over again! I love all kinds of tech and how fast everything evolves to make your life easier. Its exciting to me.

The thing I hate is how much everything costs!!!
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Honestly, I got into IT because I liked Starcraft. Liking Starcraft got me excited about computers. Which took me to a technical High School which pushed me through some tech courses and networking. Basically, I just followed the path that I was supposed to and never really thinking outside the box of what else I could be doing.

What I love about IT?
    What I used to do was help individuals and come out looking like a hero (if there was tons of money in Help Desk I would have stayed there)
    Competition. There are a lot of people who are in IT or want to be and for some reason I participate in this subconscious game of making sure I stand out above others similar to me.
    Creativity. There's always a solution to every problem. You just have to find it.

What I hate about IT?
    Stress. I hate stress and it's what's made me consider other career options (yeah, i hate it that much)
    The blame game. People who don't understand how things work end up pointing fingers at the "black box". Whether it's "the network", "the firewall", "the Internet", "the server", anything people can blame it happens.
    Expectations. With people being able to get more and more speedy, powerful, flexible technology at home; that changes the expectations they have while at work. This includes higher ups, CIOs, CEOs, etc... If there's a minor outage, people can tend to freak out as if someone is dying.

The last thing I don't like is how fast things change. Some people love this, but personally I look enviously at other career paths and see how they can focus and improve on something without the worry about it going extinct before they finish. I want to know what to expect when I show up for work, I've had my taste of early morning emergencies with sweat dripping down your forehead, gray hairs popping out of your head and 15 people standing behind you saying "is it fixed yet?".

lol, take all this with a grain of salt... I think I'm going through a midlife crisis at 26.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Why do I love it? Because it's the only thing I'm good at.

Why do I hate it? Because it's the only thing I'm good at.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    CyberhooliganCyberhooligan Registered Users Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    "More time can be spent analysing data and it can be done so in much larger data sets. People who are able to take advantage of this are going to see the world in a much different way to us older generation. "

this is so true. excellent insight.