Options

IT job Arson

NSENSE Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a third degree felon on my record for arson back in 2008. I'm off probation and thinking about taking a computer network/security class from a local school. I wanted to know if I'm wasting my time applying and completing a class that won't give me a job because of my felony. Would I be better off trying to get a job in another country? Didn't take long to find out felons have the worst time trying to find a job. Any help or advise even would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    That's a tough situation. Completing the course will give you knowledge, and no one can take that away from you, and the more value you can bring to a potential employer, the better your chances at being given an opportunity to move past it.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It just depends on the organization. A lot of organizations in the FI/FI service space have a blanket rule. Many other organizations don't.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You could approach a court about having the record expunged. Worth a try.
  • Options
    krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    Well completing the class won't hurt your job prospects. If you're interested in the material the class offers I would take it.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Options
    UkimokiaUkimokia Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Even if you leave the country the knowledge from the class could still come in very handy. So I would say take it either way. I would also suggest the approaching a court to get the record expunged.
  • Options
    slotzeroslotzero Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So first off - no matter who you are, it's possible that just taking a class or two won't get you a job. Just know and accept that up front. Don't let it discourage you, get the knowledge, and find ways to get experience. Volunteer work, internships, etc.

Anyway the organization I worked for hired a guy into our operations dept with a BS in IT, and he had a felony from some drug charges. He's been here over 5 years, has had several promotions, and is now a manager over that department. He's a great guy and has had a great impact on our company.

Here's the deal - as Oscar Wilde said, "The only difference between saints and sinners is that every saint has a past while every sinner has a future."

Don't let your past hold you back. You seem to own your mistakes and you paid for it. I'd much rather work with or hire someone like that, than someone who doesn't own up to things and tries to just skate by.

If I were interviewing you, and you had the knowledge and experience I'm looking for, I would appreciate it if you told me up front about your past. It would be better than finding out after I made you an offer. Just my two cents on that aspect.

Good luck to you, you can move on to bigger and better!
    WGU BS:IT/SF In Progress...
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I actually know a friend who has a friend ( I know sounds silly ) who has an attempted robbery on his record. Was locked up for 5 in the pen and is a programmer analyst. He cannot be a manager though they refuse to promote him. Some of your pass transgressions will carry scars no question about it.
  • Options
    NutsacjacNutsacjac Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As was suggested before, petitioning the court to get your felony expunged would be a worthwhile venture.
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick replies. I don't know if I can get it expunged because I plead guilty.
  • Options
    Before you lawyer yourself out of it. I would at least call a lawyer to see if it's possible.
  • Options
    What type of lawyer would I want to talk to?
  • Options
    I would do some research and just try to find either a criminal defense attorney or really any attorney really. I would help with some more research, but I'm currently at work.
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @NSE

Kevin Mitnick got a job and he's a felon. icon_wink.gif. No harm in trying.
  • Options
    That won't be necessary, thank you for the tip.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    antielvis wrote: »
    @NSE

Kevin Mitnick got a job and he's a felon. icon_wink.gif. No harm in trying.

ROFL. True enough.
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I saw this online > Companies That Hire Felons | List of Jobs for Felons

Obviously anything is possible, but most likely you will face a lot of rejection. Just stick with it and don't get frustrated. You should check with your local unemployment office, and find out if they have any programs for people with felonies. Good luck.
  • Options
    CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    Since your felony was in 2008, it is unlikely that you can get it expunged yet. In my state, Indiana, you have to have a clean record for 8 years after the felony to get it expunged (even with a guilty plead), but each state varies.

I have found that it is always best to be up front and honest if asked, and you should try to demonstrate that you realize you messed up in the past, and have learned from your mistakes and are trying to better yourself, and that the right employment opportunity is part of your plan of bettering yourself, or something along those lines. Good luck!
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    FTR criminal charges are none of a hiring managers business. That is for HR to deal with. Obviously don't lie about it on an application (check that box!) but I would not bring it up in an interview. If HR disqualifies you for it that's one thing, but it's another to disqualify yourself for something that the manager might not have otherwise ever known/need to know.

TL;DR Don't shoot yourself in the foot before you put the horse before the cart.