Options

Acronyms

wayzerwayzer Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all, I am about to get started in studying for the A+ cert. I have 30 days to complete and pass it as it is the terms of my employement.

I have experience in the field of course and have completed a three year computer programming diploma so I definitely have the background. I am going to have many question for sure, but want to know if I should spend any time learning acronyms, or remember all that I have forgot.

If I had of been smart or if the school would have offered the option of writing the test when I completed school ( three years ago) then I would have passed with out any hassle.

Thanks for the help in advance,

Brad

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I would recco the Mike Myers All In One book. It covers both exams, and is written well. I used it myself. You should look for the 5th edition, which is the latest. Also, don't forget to check out the Technotes from this site, they are also a good portable reference.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    I have spent the better part of yesterday and today riffling through the pages and references on this site. I have printed off several manuals and have a couple of books from school as well.

This thread for me is to try and figure out if I should focus any energy on trying to remember acronyms. I know a lot of them, but should I know them all? Do they ask for definitions or to spell out the acronym?

Thanks
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Imo, yes, you need to learn and be able to spell them out. This goes for every acronym you come accross while preparing for the exam. Although it could prevent you from being tricked in to choosing a. SMNP instead of c. SNMP, it's not very likely that you'll need to spell them out on the exam. But it will help you to understand the purpose and operation of a technology and associate it with the acronym. And really understanding how something works and should be used is a lot more complicated than remembering the meaning of an acronym.
  • Options
    Ok, thanks.

I understand there is importance to knowing them. It is a good place to start in knowing what exactly they mean. In short if you know each word that is represented by the letter it is almost a mini definition.

I just wanted to clarify if there were any question on the test, ie. what does smtp stand for, but I understand that there is not, although know that it stands for simple mail transfer protocal would help you out.

Thanks, now on to the next question of my million.

;)
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    It is a good place to start in knowing what exactly they mean. In short if you know each word that is represented by the letter it is almost a mini definition.
    Exactly.
    Thanks, now on to the next question of my million.
    Keep'm coming, that's what the forums are for.