Options

IT interest fading; stuck at help desk

FortKnightFortKnight Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello, everyone. It's time I sought help for my situation.

I've graduated with a BS in Information Systems in May 2012. Before that, I started a help desk internship at a non-profit social working company in February 2012. I've been at the job since. Along the way, I got the A+ certification in October 2012. I'm not sure if it helped me, however.

It didn't become a full-time, permanent position until last November. Essentially, I've been their underpaid "intern" for 1.5 years. I'm making more now, but it's still only a little over 33k, in one of the most tax-heavy states in the country. I still live with mom. If not for the low salary and student loans, I would have moved out a LONG time ago.

But it gets worse. I've been doing the same thing for the past nearly two years. I honestly am starting to think that not only am I not learning anything, but the very little skills I have now are wasting away. It's nothing but resetting passwords, setting up home offices over the phone, and correcting coworkers' mistakes. (Seriously, these so-called "social workers" treat the 4-person IS department like manure.) Sometimes, I think that getting this degree was nothing but a 6-year, $30k mistake.

The worst thing is... I'm not sure what I want to do next. To be honest, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do in the field while in college, nor do I currently. I took the degree because in year three, I found out the hard way that Engineering and Computer Science were too hard for me (a combo of physics being too hard, and unlikable, unapproachable professors), and Information Systems was my last option.

I have study material for CCNA, Network+, and Security+. I've tried self-studying because classes were too expensive, but it just isn't working. The material is overwhelming. Neither work nor college prepared me for them.

I'm constantly being told to be patient, but it's getting a bit tiresome. I'm not making enough, I'm not learning enough, I hate living where I live, and... it just seems like I've reached a dead end... and I'm only going on 26!

Everyone here seems to have years of experience. I could really use some guidance. Am I stuck here?

Comments

• Options
    yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You will be stuck there until you decide what do you want to do, and we can't tell you what to do, as it is up to you.

What do you like about IT? Networking? Databases? Server administration? Programming? Software testing?... Decide what do you like and then focus on it.
  • Options
    Architect192Architect192 Member Posts: 157 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You are as stuck as you want to be. You're in the "best" position you can be right now, being "at home" with your parents. At least you're not on the street.

From what you're saying, if the material is overwhelming, and you don't like what you're doing, you might have chosen a wrong path going into IT.

First thing you need to do (and we can't help here), is figure out what YOU want to do. Forget what you know or don't know, what is your goal in life. Where do you see yourself in a few years? Once you've figured that out, you will be better equipped to determine what you need to do to get there.

IT is a very wide field. Start by figuring out if you like the field or not.

The usual career path in IT is HelpDesk, Deskside support, Systems administrator, Architecture/management. Working at the helpdesk doesn't teach you a lot about technology, but you can learn a lot about people and customer service.
    Current: VCAP-DCA/DCD, VCP-DCV2/3/4/5, VCP-NV 6 - CCNP, CCNA Security - MCSE: Server Infrastructure 2012 - ITIL v3 - A+ - Security+
    Working on: CCNA Datacenter (2nd exam), Renewing VMware certs...
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Have you been applying elsewhere? Is your resume upto scratch? You NEED to work on a cert or two, dont worry about the Comptia's anymore. Work on the CCNA or an MCTS. The material maybe overwhelming because your likely not studying for them the right way - are you just reading or reading and labbing? Just reading the books doesnt cut it and you'll be bored before you've turned over a few pages.

It's not too bad mate, your only 26. Save more money, dont go out often, dont spend on video games, buy a small(ish) sedan/hatch if you drive a truck. Pay off the credit card and dont use it. There are plenty of ways to save money. Once you've saved up some money, move out to a better part of the US (it looks like your American). NC, TX, MN are great states to be in for IT work.

NEVER give up!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm getting interviews now because of the certs I attained in 2013. I applied for similar jobs 12 months ago and got nowhere. Hard work will pay off, keep reading the books and watching videos. Get certified and get out of helpdesk!
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    JaneDoeJaneDoe Member Posts: 171
    You work in a four person IT department at helpdesk, and you're board? I was hired as helpdesk for a four person department, and I ended up teaching myself Linux and VoIP. Have you offered to help upgrade systems and build new systems when needed, even if you weren't sure how? Have you been applying for new jobs now that you have overs a year's experience?

If you don't like IT, have you offered to help out in other departments? Maybe offer to help with social media for your organization or something?

At the end of the day a job is just a job. I'm sure if you're efficient with resetting passwords and doing tasks many others in IT find boring, you'll be able to find a decent job. If I were you, I'd apply for jobs that pay better and/or in other cheaper cities, and focus on other things that matter in your life.
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    JaneDoe wrote: »
    At the end of the day a job is just a job. I'm sure if you're efficient with resetting passwords and doing tasks many others in IT find boring, you'll be able to find a decent job. If I were you, I'd apply for jobs that pay better and/or in other cheaper cities, and focus on other things that matter in your life.

I feel like this is old school thinking. People spend a 1/3 or even more of their time at work. Ideally, you want work to be a good place to spend your time.
  • Options
    One thing's for sure; I'd be happier if I look forward to going to work. Right now, it's more "living to work" rather than "working to live".

There aren't any other departments, not IT-related anyway. My manager is a bit OCD (we've had issues with our phone system because he wouldn't let the phone guys from another company touch "his" server room; he nearly wrecked the phone system doing it himself).

I was suggested by a manager from a different department (facilities; among many things, she works with, not for, the phone company) to consider Citrix , so I'll look that up. Seriously, other managers that aren't into IT are more encouraging than my own. Now, I'm starting to think it's not help desk in general, but just this one in particular.

I have some family in North Carolina. Maybe, when I get some vacation time, I'll pay them a visit, as well as scope out the area a little. Since this is my first job, I've never really had a vacation before, so I've never traveled anywhere.
  • Options
    atx1975atx1975 Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I will have to say that a bad job experience can make you second guess your career choice I did at one time, my advice is self study while you still live at home and take advantage and position yourself to move to a better company situation. And sometimes that may even entail relocating trust me it makes all the difference in the world.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    One thing that was already mentioned but can not be overlooked is finding out what you want to do. If you are not interested in a topic it is very hard to stay motivated. So spend some time thinking about what your motivation is. You need to want something in order to pursue it. The job will just be a job and no matter how well you do it you will not progress far in today's job market unless you make the choice to go after opportunities.

You boss controls what work you perform but he does not control how well you do it.

Good Luck
  • Options
    JaneDoeJaneDoe Member Posts: 171
    If you're looking to get out of IT, you could see if one of the non-IT departments could use a hand. The public relations people can almost always use the support of someone with technical skill, although their department isn't really IT related. It sounds like you just have a bad boss, and being in a similar position elsewhere could make your life much happier.
  • Options
    epcgepcg Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Some places are awful to work at. Some places treat IT bad. Sounds like you landed one of them. My last job was great but no money no budget. Get out look for a job and dont stop till you get a new one.
  • Options
    ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    FortKnight, everyone goes through these types of "ups" and "downs" in their careers. I've been in IT for 15 years, and sometimes it's just that way. Part of a job stinking can simply be your own attitude. You've been in IT for two years, but in experience you're still a "pup".

First, in my career I did the same ol', same ol' desktop work for about three years. After that I seemed to have a lot more opportunities come my way. However, options won't just fall into your lap. You MUST keep studying, certifying, degreeing, and showing yourself to be more than a "password resetter" where you work. I would suggest you put the CCNA aside right now, and focus on Network+ which will give you some basic foundation for CCENT, then go for Security+ or Server+, maybe the Microsoft client certifications. Second, this is my two cents, but honestly there are few IT pros who get to have a lot of heavy duty access to servers and network equipment in the first two or three years, and then often they either work for a really small shop, or they show their own skillset to be above par.

Others have suggested you offer to learn other things. Offer yourself up for extra projects to help the network admins -- hopefully you have good work relationships with your admins so they will be interested in mentoring you.

If your work environment is no longer suiting you you may have to look elsewhere. You're making a decent salary for two years of helpdesk support from what I see, but you also shouldn't have a problem finding something else even making a bit more with your experience and education (Keep certifying, however. Don't rest.) I've moved jobs about 5 times in 15 years, once for less pay to get the server admin experience for a few years. And it can pay off.

This seems harsh, but many of the guys I've seen in your position - except they have often been "stuck" for 8, 10, 12 years - are the ones who get A+, then simply stop learning thinking they can only learn if the company sends them to training. They "think" they know what makes a good server, or network, admin, but they quit learning years ago, and really have no idea what's involved in higher level IT roles. A desktop guy I recently worked with had been in IT for 20+ years, and didn't know what an HDMI port on a laptop is, and he wanted to be a server admin - not impressed. You have a great start with your education, but keep going for the rest of your life. CompTIA exams are very "self-studyable". You made it through college, so use the process you used there to study.

Finally, be maturely aware of your soft skills. Be honest about how you treat co-workers and teammates and managers (even the managers that seem to stink.) I have often gotten the job I wanted because my personal presentation and communication impressed the prospective manager, even beyond any IT skills I may offer (and I'm not the most "techie" of server admins).

If you create yourself as an IT professional of skills, ability, and value, you will create opportunity for yourself. In time those opps will present themselves, but you have to work everyday as if preparing for them when they appear.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    To piggyback, in a manner of speaking, here are some recommendations, based on twenty-two years of military experience and a little less than one year of professional IT experience:

1. Remember how your boss treats you. If it is not to your liking, I suggest pinpointing why you don't like it and develop a plan to never treat others that way. You've got to know who you want to be when the time comes to be.

2. Identify the types of technology you are working with, such as Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, etc. Then go to the library or Amazon and get your hands on books that cover those techs. Study, study, study. Become the best password resetter while also expanding on that knowledge.

3. Consider getting books that cover Server+, Security+, Project+, Linux+, and Network+. Read them cover-to-cover. You don't need to take the cert exams for them, just get to know them. They will familiarize you with a broad spectrum of IT. If you don't like what you are reading, then that will help you to better understand what facet of IT you may want to avoid in the future. On the flip side, it may pique your interest in something that will eventually become your career focus.

4. Consider these three non-tech books: Napoleon Hill's Think and Grow Rich (it will motivate you to figure out how to find your passion), Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People (it will provide you with critical people skills), and Stephen Covey's The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People (seven principles that will help you develop yourself personally and professionally). A bonus fourth book would be Ken Blanchard's The One Minute Manager.

5. If you haven't already done so, put together a blog and a LinkedIn page. As you are learning, post what you are learning to your blog. Then, cross post your blog to LinkedIn. That will allow future employers to get a better feel for who you are. It will also show them, if the blog is written well, just how motivated and trainable you are.

6. Last but not least, corral your dissatisfaction. You need to re-channel it into positive thoughts. If you dwell on the negative, you will become negative. If you dwell on the positive, you will become positive. Once you become positive, you will see solutions to problems and not just the problems. As that applies to your situation, it will help you to be patient in your current circumstance while also giving you the energy and drive you need to move forward with discovering your passion and purpose in life (and IT!).

Cheers
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    geektechacademygeektechacademy Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    First off, I would suck it up and stop being wack. Don't complain about your situation and do something about it.

Your stuck there because you aren't forcing yourself out. You aren't learning because you aren't forcing yourself to learn. Your choosing to be stagnate in your current situation and lifestyle. Nobody is going to tell you how to live your life and set expectations for you. That is all up to you.

No matter what you do - if you keep putting that garbage negativity in your head. That's exactly what you will feel. Stop killing yourself. Depression is a natural state and it happens to the best of us. Fight the depression and prove yourself to you.

It's now 2014 so abandon the "pity party attitude". Set your goals and work towards them on a daily basis. NO EXCUSES!

1. Study more and aim for more certifications. If it's hard study slowly and learn and understand the material. Put 1-2 hours aside to mentally comprehend the knowledge. Don't sell yourself short and say you can't learn it.

2. Set a salary/income goal and do what it takes to reach it. You are the only one stopping yourself.

3. Search for that new job.

Etc, etc. etc. Rinse & repeat. Good luck, you can do it!
  • Options
    I guess my studying days aren't quite over yet. I did tell myself that 2014 was going to be the year of change... might as well start now. Nevermind the next five years; change happens today.

Now that you guys are mentioning soft skills, I have noticed more people calling me first. Whereas my coworkers would cut them off, I just keep letting them talk, although I know the problems they have usually right away. It is nice to hear the story behind their issue, so that I can help them prevent having the issue again. And all this time, I thought I had bad social skills. I've been told several times to check out Dale Carnegie's book; I'll give it a shot.

It is time to stop focusing on the bad. I should be happier. I should also move out, but one thing at a time, I guess.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yeah being patient is one thing, being patient while trying to improve yourself is another. Learning doesn't stop with college.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    I'll tell you this now, save almost every dime you make while you are living at home!

Your resume likely needs work, on top of that YOU need to decide what YOU want to do with your career. Once you make the decision, come back here and we can somewhat assist you in going down your chosen path (i.e. System Administration, Network Engineering, Database Administration, Programming).
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Agree save as much as you can now. I'm serious! If your job is easy hopefully you have some downtime use that to study for what interest you. I honestly believe very few people get hit in the face with their passion. Most of the time you have to grind a while before you find what that passion is. Like Route mentioned, is it programming, database management, systems, etc. This is where certifications can help get you over the hump IMO. But again if you don't have any idea of what you want to do I wouldn't waste my time studying for a certification. I had buddy in your same situation, BS CIS, A+ and was on the desk for 4 years. He ended up learning about active directory, studied it off and on and then when a position came up where is required those skills he went for it and got it. Prior to that it was endless phone calls and depression.
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    Maybe you aren't as impressive as you think you are? To be honest, if someone that was able to get a B.S. in Info Systems told me that it was too hard to self-study for the CCNA, N+ and S+, I would have some serious reservations about hiring that person. There is so much material out there for basic certs like these...CBT/Trainsignal, books, packet tracer/dynamips for labs, etc... If you have the motivation, you should be able to get those certs, especially if you made it through college.

Man up, work your ass off and get your CCNA, and get a new job. It won't be easy, but it is not as hard as you might think either.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Heero wrote: »
    Man up, work your ass off and get your CCNA, and get a new job. It won't be easy, but it is not as hard as you might think either.
    This - It doesn't sound like the OP is doing very many things to improve his/her situation and is stuck in a rut.

Not learning enough? That's kind of your own fault, tbh. Nobody is going to pump your head full of knowledge for you. As the others have said - Find what interests you, and dig in; read official documentation, lab, articles, podcasts, talk to people, etc.
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    I feel the same way, but I gotta wait until a level 2 spot opens up at my work, until then I am working for my mcsa 2012, and possible mcse
  • Options
    White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
    In my opinion the certs only get easier, prepping for them that is.

Yes, some are much more difficult then others but once you get in the habit of perfecting your test prep skills, I feel that reading a 500 or 600 page book and pulling what you need from it becomes easier with each cert.

I feel its almost a necessity in IT to be passionate about what you do.

I would sit down, re-evaluate what you are passionate about in life, then make a decision.
    "The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."
  • Options
    So, the number one priority is to find my interest? Well, I am interested in security. I haven't done any classes, but I have a couple books and access to videos. The Security+ material seemed more intriguing than the Network+ material, but the two go hand in hand, I assuming.

Perhaps I should focus on Security+, but do I have to get Network+ first?
  • Options
    White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
    FortKnight wrote: »
    So, the number one priority is to find my interest? Well, I am interested in security. I haven't done any classes, but I have a couple books and access to videos. The Security+ material seemed more intriguing than the Network+ material, but the two go hand in hand, I assuming.

Perhaps I should focus on Security+, but do I have to get Network+ first?

Nope, there are no prerequisites for either certification. Security is my passion as well, I can say that I would spend some time researching your certs before you buy the books and labs for that cert.

CompTIA certs are great to start out with such as A+ and security+ but I don't feel they offer much else worth taking. There are several threads on here where members advise focusing on other certifications besides CompTIA as this allows you to specialize in an area such as Microsoft or Cisco etc.

Personally after my Linux+ and CASP I will not be taking any more CompTIA certs.
    "The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I was stuck on a help desk for about 2 years and hated the last 6 months there, which finally pushed me to take every job interview I could.

Finally one interview got me into a voice / data network role, just gotta keep pushing through them. I felt forsaken by the professional ITworld several years out of my career, just keep pushing through those interviews.
  • Options
    Bryan0530Bryan0530 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I see it this way, if you say your applying it should be at least 50 jobs a week, no less. Hard work pays off and you have to show that you want it. I would interview for many jobs and it helped me land another job because I was used to answering questions and i know what they would ask ahead of time (bc of practice) dont give up, there is light at the end of the tunnel.
  • Options
    ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lot of great advice here. Believe me I've struggled with bad attitude in the past, and it does pass. And I had to work to get through it. In my case, I was working for the worst manager in my career, and I got too focused on that. It, too, affected my study, motivation, etc. I had to focus on the fact that I worked with a team of folks I liked very well, had some rewarding experiences, etc. In time, things changed and got much better.

If you have users tending to call you first, then I'd say you likely have decent softskills. Pay attention to those areas where you see your softskills work well in work scenarios with team members, and keep enhancing those. Go the extra mile to help whomever you can.

Personally, I love the CompTIA exams. Although at this point in my career most of them are pretty basic, I always learn something in studying for them. At this point in your career, I don't think a few CompTIA exams will hurt, and they can provide a great foundation of knowledge for other vendor certs like Cisco, and MS. However, I'd, too, probably recommend to diversify unless you are able to just study and knockout a bunch of the CompTIA certs more rapidly than CCNA to enhance your resume.
  • Options
    There is a lot of great advice here. I said that I was interested in Security+, so I'll focus on that for now.

At work, the people I help out don't have a lot of technical know-how, which is expected since they're social workers. My boss confuses them (and even me sometimes) with technical jargon. I simplify things, only telling them what they need to know, without trying to teach some networking course (like making sure you can get out to the internet BEFORE getting onto the VPN).

I've been under so much pressure, both at home and at work. I feel that if I don't do something soon, I'll be stuck in this position. It's not that I don't like helping people; it's just so much micromanagement going on. I've actually been told once not to study during my lunch breaks because it made me look less busy.

I've applied to TekSystems a while ago. From time to time, they call just to see how things are going, and whenever a temporary contract position pops up. I think they could be beneficial, but they're usually at call centers, and they only last 6 months. I just got promoted full time at this help desk job just a few months ago (vacation, benefits and insurance, but pay isn't very high).

Would it be worth taking one of the temp positions if it means MAYBE getting more experience, or should I just stay at this permanent help desk a little while longer?
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Polynomial wrote: »
    I feel like this is old school thinking. People spend a 1/3 or even more of their time at work. Ideally, you want work to be a good place to spend your time.

I couldnt agree more with this statement. You spend at a large portion of your week at work. So it makes sense to try and do something you enjoy at least.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    LifikLifik Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I feel you. Everyone on here is giving you great advice. Your spark has fizzled and you are uncertain, it happens. What I can say is I have had a crazy time on my journey to an IT career. I was flooded out of my apartment, had to live in one room with my wife and 3 kids, we moved 4 times in 2 years, my mom in law got terminally ill, and I had to move back in my mom's house (with a wife and 3 of my kids). Trust and believe the road to success is tainted with obstacles but perseverance is paramount and happiness starts within. I always remember that somewhere, some place, someone is doing worse off than myself and that brings me back to reality. You are doing good thus far, don't sweat the small things, and turn opposition into opportunity. Take the leap of faith, sometimes it takes making yourself uncomfortable temporarily to reach greater heights. Find out what you want and seize the moment...Wish you the best