Options

Nervous about interview. Argh!

minitminit Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey Folks,

So I've been looking for a change for quite a while. Finally got called for an interview at a local university, where I worked as a student. I currently work in healthcare IT. It is very hectic, and I'm stressed to the max. I'm hoping working in higher ed. would be less stressful. It's a desktop tech job, so I would have less responsibility then I do now. Pay is about the same.

Anyway, I'm super nervous about the interview. Haven't been on one in 9 years.

How do I try to relax!?
Anyone here work in a higher ed. environment? Do you think it would be less stressful then a healthcare environment?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I worked in higher education and yup it should be a lot less stressful then your current job. I higher ed it comes in waves, super busy for a bit and then slow for awhile. Why be nervous? You have a job already so you won't lose anything and I suspect you will be just fine so don't sweat it. Take a couple deep breathes and stop worrying!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Cold TitaniumCold Titanium Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Heh, I did the opposite. Went from university to health care. My experience in higher ed. was like grinch's above. It came in waves. I'm stressed to the point of questioning my career choice being in healthcare now. Relax! If you can handle healthcare you can certainly handle a university gig.
    2014 Goals
    • Pass OSCP (In Progress)
    • Obtain employment in IT Security
  • Options
    oebankoleoebankole Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I currently work at a community college and it definitely has it extremely busy season(Registration).but mehn the benefits/perks are awesome(Snow days, 2 weeks + holiday during xmas, spring break 1 week.....)
    Since you already work in the field.....the interview is going to be a breeze... Make sure you research on the ticketing system if its listed in the job ad
    Goodluck!
    B.Sc - Information Systems Management
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Having worked in both healthcare IT and higher education I would say they're similar in stress levels, just with higher education being less consistent and more in waves as others have pointed out.

You've got nothing to lose by interviewing so no reason to be nervous. My real question for you though is why would you want to take another low-level job with less responsibilities? Why not try to move up with a position change instead?
  • Options
    oebankoleoebankole Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Definitely, had that same question in mind...(There is no way am interviewing or applying for another tech support on the same level with the duties)

Akaricloud wrote: »
    Having worked in both healthcare IT and higher education I would say they're similar in stress levels, just with higher education being less consistent and more in waves as others have pointed out.

You've got nothing to lose by interviewing so no reason to be nervous. My real question for you though is why would you want to take another low-level job with less responsibilities? Why not try to move up with a position change instead?
    B.Sc - Information Systems Management
  • Options
    minitminit Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Primarily to lower my stress levels, for health related reasons. Sure tech support can be busy, but they normally aren't overly complex problems to solve.
    Akaricloud wrote: »

• Options
    BryzeyBryzey Member Posts: 260
    Generally speaking your nerves will be present until the interview starts. This is the purpose of small talk before the questions start rolling in.

Try not to worry about it to much as everyone expects people to be nervous in a job interview. Just be as confident as possible.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    minit wrote: »
    Primarily to lower my stress levels, for health related reasons. Sure tech support can be busy, but they normally aren't overly complex problems to solve.
    It still seems to me you would be better off trying to move up. From my experience of these low-level positions are always slammed with work and you'll always be fixing things that are broken, with often upset customers, instead of proactive work.

A downward move like this is only going to make it more difficult to move up in the future and work to make sure you're stuck in these types of position.
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    if you've worked in IT for 9 years it should be easy, especially if it's related to your current job
  • Options
    bull313bull313 Member Posts: 138
    I always to into an interview very relaxed, especially if I already have I job. I would LOVE to teach at the college/university level again!

I remember back when I interviewed with IBM fresh out of tech school and the first (and only) question they asked me was "Why should we hire you?" My answer: "Because you need me more than I need you!" The next thing I knew I had a new job at $19/hr!

I DO NOT recommend trying that!
    "Follow your dreams. You CAN reach your goals. I'm living proof. Beefcake! BeefCAAAAAAAKKKKE!!!"-Eric Cartman