Options

Moving up to a more technical role, I'm excited!

coralreefguycoralreefguy Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
First off, I want to thank the Tech Exams community. I have been a long time reader and only recently have I begun posting. Everybody here is absolutely the best - encouraging, driven to learn, and self-motivated. I would not have learned nearly as much as I have without this forum.

I have been a 'L1' technical support representative for a major ISP in the Greater NY area for 3 years. I deal with basic level personal computer issues, basic level networking troubleshooting, and email client configuration. I spent a few months grabbing my CompTIA trio, Server+, and Microsoft Certifications. I started interviewing two months ago. Things were slow around the holidays.

Well an offer letter came through today. It's a horizontal move with respects to money (exact same salary, to the dollar) but a vertical move in opportunity (Level 2 - hands on enterprise desktop support, active directory and exchange usage, remote desktop, basic server administration). The commute will bring me into Grand Central station every day. This is the 'big break' my resume has been looking for. The company is ranked as one of the top 100 MSP's in the country, which means I will be growing in the future into a Sysadmin or System Engineer role.

I just wanted to share my excitement and thank the community. I've just signed my offer letter and I couldn't be happier. To all those with similar goals in mind - don't stop working - it will pay off! I plan to work hard in this company and move up into an Engineer role. I can honestly say the 3-5 year prospects look pretty darn good.

bowing.gif
System Administrator / DevOps guy

2015 passed: CCNA R/S, CCNA Sec, Project+, VCP5-DCV
2016 goals: MCSE Server 2012; continue to use/learn more Chef w/Ruby and Powershell on Azure

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats and good luck with the new role!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Congrats! Now to start working towards the next big career move?
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Congrats and good luck!
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice work and best of luck.
  • Options
    wgroomwgroom Member Posts: 147
    Congrats on the new role, make the most of the opportunity you have been given. Every day is a new opportunity to prove how good you are!
    Cisco VoIP Engineer I
    CCNA R&S COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Voice COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Collaboration [In Progress]
  • Options
    LifikLifik Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That is awesome!! When do you start? I start my new position next Monday, so I feel you. I am literally counting the days! Congrats again!
  • Options
    coralreefguycoralreefguy Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all! After I finish my MCSA: Windows 7 I am going to pump the breaks on certs for a month or two and try to soak in all the information I can. Going to be lots to learn. Maybe in the mid-late spring I'll start ramping up my studying again. As for the long run it's too soon to tell but Sysadmin is the next logical hop. I start Monday February 3rd. Big things!
    System Administrator / DevOps guy

2015 passed: CCNA R/S, CCNA Sec, Project+, VCP5-DCV
    2016 goals: MCSE Server 2012; continue to use/learn more Chef w/Ruby and Powershell on Azure
  • Options
    SixtyCycleSixtyCycle Member Posts: 111
    Congrats. I agree, I find this forum and its members very helpful.
  • Options
    LifikLifik Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good for you, take a well deserved break...people often forget to treat themselves every once in a while. I start back my BS studies on 2/24...no time to waste...going to be an exciting and productive time..plus with this job I become the cliche "jack of all trades" granted I am EUS but will spend the majority of my time in retail channels doing field support organizing networking closets and prepping for future store rebuilds. Great times ahead!
  • Options
    crypticgeekcrypticgeek Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awesome, congrats! Definitely sounds like you earned it. Keep up that drive and passion to always challenge yourself.