Cat 5 color usage.

discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
I'm outfitting 2 of our new server rooms next month, and at one site the cabling situation is a mess in the roof, unfortunately we can't just rip out everything and start from scratch.

I suggested for the new server room, that the new cable run be done with purple cable as it's obscure and to make it easier for us to identify cables.

The guy doing the cabling said no purple cat5/6 cable is strictly for Government/Defense usage.

I've never heard of this, is he full of it?
http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yeah he's full of it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got a rack full of purple CAT6, we picked it because our CEO loves purple.
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...
  • dspielmandspielman Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I guess if you have purple cat6 patch cables in your office the government will find you.
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Anyone can use purple, maybe you should get someone who knows what they're doing to cable it...
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    We use purple for all our structured cable, seems to be a very common colour as every where I have worked used it. We also use it for standard server patching.

I do have a thing that if any user requires a cable of 5 meters or more due to poor planning of network points, then the get the brightest pink one possible. :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is hilarious, thanks for the good laugh :D . I can't believe he told you that.
  • kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    In our government department we have a set 200 page policy book on just cabling. What specific conduit for external runs; size, distance between each saddle, double sided saddles, Fiber only, no coppper. etc.

We havecertain colours for certain things:

Patch Panel to data point = Blue
    Patch cables = Blue
    VoIP = Green
    Wireless = Yellow
    Cross-Over = Red.
    OM2 Fiber = Orange
    OM3 Fiber = Teal
    OS1 Fiber= Yellow

In most cases, we don't follow these to the T. we have the odd yellow or green cable going to a computer.

Each contractor is handed this book/pdf before they are put on the registered/Authorised Contractor list.

I don't know about Canadian Law, but just because we use these colours in this order for Government, it doesn't stop anyone from having those colours. I've never come across any company I've done work for or even any Government Department to use Purple, though.

Can you get a second "quote" for the work and see if they will do Purple for you?
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The only wire color "standards" I've ever seen are set on a per company basis...

Ive worked a places where color is used to determine various lengths ( 1 ft black, 3 ft blue, 10 ft red, etc) or cable type/primary usage (crossover, voip, patch, uplink, etc) or color is used just to be different. Ive also seen combinations of the above standards, ignoring of the above standards and no standards at all.

So yeah, the guy you're talking to is full of it.
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Had one client who only wanted purple. I have never heard nor seen anything that stated a specific cable color was for an industry. I have had clients who wanted specific colors used for patch cable lengths so that the could more easily discern which cable length was used after the fact.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is hilarious! I usually kit my new offices out with purple cable. I don't know why, I just do. I did have someone stop me once as I was making them a cable to go from the wall into their desk phone, I was using red CAT5e cable at the time. He said "whoa whoa whoa... You can't use that! That's a power cable... It has to be a BLUE internet cable" I then told him that the outside color doesn't matter.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    WOW! This is crazy. A few years ago I ran Cat5e in my house. I guess I'm lucky that I used Internet Blue.... LOL!

Some of this does look familiar from places I have worked:

Yellow = Wireless
    Red = Cross-Over
    Blue = Patch
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    How do you get "yellow" for wireless ;)

At one time, red was the majority of crossover cables, but that was back in the 90s. It did not take long for cables to come in a variety of colors and once patch cables started being stocked in red, color designation went out the window.

I have seen phases of all yellow, all blue, all, green, all black, and all purple. A nicely colored and organized wiring closet looks amazing, but anymore, I see a mismatch of cables simple due to what is available at the time of time of the expansion. I have had two clients insist on all the patch cables getting replaced to unify the colors around the office. Time consuming, but easy enough to do.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Whenever I order cable now I usually change my color preference. I always order from monoprice.com they are awesome. I also sometimes order from cablesandkits.com - they always send me a nice little bag of M&M's :)
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    All of the above are wrong. Purple cable is exclusively for flux capacitor connectivity icon_smile.gif
    A lot of places I cabled used blue for data and white for voice

One scheme was
    Blue - Data 1
    Gray - Data 2
    White - Voice
    Green - Secure
    Yellow - Guest
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    "whoa whoa whoa... You can't use that! That's a power cable... It has to be a BLUE internet cable"

icon_scratch.gif ahahahaa awesome!!
  • EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    For our clients we use red because it goes with the company branding. If there is a need for different colors then we use red and black and go from there.
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Every time we agree to a colour scheme we eventually run out when we need colour x and it goes all to s** :p
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Plus I am sure if purple is for the military or something you wouldn't be able to buy them in a regular shop :)

In Germany we got a particular red colour for firetrucks and you cannot get that colour mixed anywhere .. Close .. but not exactly .. Same would apply to cables surely ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    This may be a Quebec specific law for cabling (not originally from here so it is the first I have heard), I found out it is the supplier who said this.

I mean realistically anyone can go online and buy 10,000ft of purple cable and do a cable run, but maybe local suppliers need to follow certain rules.
  • DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is true. Purple cables are far less likely to be h4x0r3d.
    That would be a strange law... I can't find anything on Google saying anything about purple cable being illegal or government only

Also, why does wireless need a cable? It's wireless right? icon_wink.gif
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I have blue, green, black, yellow, purple, orange, red and even a pink. Short cables though. Handy for temporary "LAN party" type training setups we do in our conference room from time to time.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm in the military and I've never seen purple used anywhere. Green is unclassified, blue is classified releasable (or sometimes unclassified), red is classified, and yellow is TS, generally speaking. Purple isn't stocked anywhere.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Government contractor here. Where I am, blue is for the NEC network while we use green for our closed network. I've heard red is for classified.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Just means that the contractor's supplier doesn't stock it... and it'll cut into his profit if he special orders it :)

Some of those wiring guys are dinosaurs - we had a contractor that would only use what he could get from the local electrical supply place.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think pitviper hit it on the money.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    Hey thanks for that tip, If I needed bulk moulded cables I always just bought off whoever was doing the cabling run, but they charge a lot.
    Adds up when you need 1000+ cables.
    Saving a bunch of cash with monoprice, even if the shipping to Canada is high, it's still much less than paying someone local.
  • 10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @discount81 , Hey man if your company doesnt mind, then you can use any colors you like, no one will mind if you choose black or neon orange man, go for it!

@ aftereffector, I believe you are off on the colors, green, red and blue are used, and we use purple on occasion for a substitute if we are out of blue. Though perhaps we should not disclose which ones are for what network on here. Thanks man.
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As far as military networks is concerned, you are both partially wrong/right. Green is unclassified. Red is classified. Yellow/orange is ts. Purple is just a general classified color, but it is usually releasable. Blue is just some made up color someone thought would be a great idea for classified releasable and it ended up being used widely. It all correlates with the color of the actual classification labels. Releasable networks are still considered classified(purple) even though they make the blue stickers. the blue stickers are not recognized as a classification sticker in accordance to ar 35-2. This is public knowledge that can be found in ar 35-2

as far as the OP though. Cable color is exactly what it is. Just a color.
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley