Options

Please, Need help with using Remote Desktop.

xodiaxodia Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I currently have Windows XP Home Edition. Do I need to install windows XP Professional as my operating system for me to use Remote desktop.

And can what are some different ways of finding the IP address of your computer. I've tried start/run/type: ipconfig
It just comes up with a DOS window and it dosen't show an IP address.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    start/run/type: cmd then hit enter - then in the DOS box type ipconfig

Yes XP Pro has remote desktop
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    Don_PADon_PA Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Type cmd on the run command and then type ipconfig/all on the dos prompt then you will see your ipconfig if you are on the internet. Then you can find the Remote Desktop tab on the Communications tab after you click Start/Programs/accessories. Enter the computer name or Ip address of the target PC Cheers!! icon_lol.gificon_cool.gificon_eek.gif
    CCNA CCDA CWSP CWAP CCA HP Laser Printers MCTS MCSE 2003 JNCIA JNCIS
  • Options
    xodiaxodia Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the quick response!
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    xodia wrote:
    I currently have Windows XP Home Edition. Do I need to install windows XP Professional as my operating system for me to use Remote desktop.

You need Windows XP Pro for one of the computers. IE: you cannot use Remote Desktop on Windows XP Home to connect to another Windows XP Home computer. The reason is that XP Home does not contain the server service, so there is no host between XP Home to XP Home.

As the others said ..
    Start -> run -> cmd
    ipconfig /all

Good luck.