Options

course guidance

SamcroSamcro Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I'm new to networking, and to I.T as a career in general.

I'm looking at what courses to take and I know I want to attempt the CCNA.

I've been talking to a few companies trying to get the best deals and i'm trying to decide if it's worth doing the compTIA before taking the CCNA.

One of the options offered to me is to do a basic networking course first which includes the compTIA material, however I would not be taking the exam, I would go on to start working towards the CCNA but would have been introduced to the basics.

Do you think this is worthwhile? it costs more than just doing the CCNA but apparently it would be of benefit to me.

Or would it be worth taking both exams?

Any opinions welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    crypticgeekcrypticgeek Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello
    I'm new to networking
    i'm trying to decide if it's worth doing the compTIA before taking the CCNA.
    If you're new to networking then the CompTIA Network+ may be a good place to start. I assume this is what you mean when you say CompTIA as there are many CompTIA exams.
    I know I want to attempt the CCNA

If the CCNA is your actual goal, I would say the opinion of most is that taking the Net+ is a waste of time and money. However, that said...it's a pretty challenging exam. Especially if you're new to networking, you may find it overwhelming. Some do take the Net+ and then move on the CCNA as they find it easier to step up their knowledge in that fashion.

So is taking a course geared twords the Net+ a bad idea? Certainly not. Anything you learn in that class will be applicable to helping you to pass the CCNA, but it certainly won't be enough. You'll also need to know all the Cisco specific things. So additional learning in the form of books, training, labs, simulations or some combination thereof will be called for.
  • Options
    JaneDoeJaneDoe Member Posts: 171
    Samcro what background do you have in computers? Can you do binary math? If you have a software engineering background, work with Linux and/or know how to use a command line, that will help with some of the stuff on the CCNA.

If you don't have any experience or academic background in IT, I would suggest learning to crawl before you try to run. I would recommend taking classes at a local college or university in computer networking before starting to study for the CCNA. Many community colleges have affordable classes that can teach you the basics of computer networking. Once you understand the basics, the cisco specific stuff on the CCNA isn't too bad.
  • Options
    SamcroSamcro Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your replies.

I have zero experience in IT, however I am fairly good at learning new things when I focus on something.

The company I work for currently are often recruiting Network Engineers, so I'm going to try and talk to someone internally who can help me. However it's such a large company that is easier said than done.
  • Options
    wikigetwikiget Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Samcro wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies.

I have zero experience in IT, however I am fairly good at learning new things when I focus on something.

The company I work for currently are often recruiting Network Engineers, so I'm going to try and talk to someone internally who can help me. However it's such a large company that is easier said than done.
    Then even if you do not sit the test, you should buy a Network+ (and a+ depending on your current level of understanding) book and review the material. That should give you enough foundation knowledge to begin CCNA or wherever your road takes you in IT.
    "Once upon a time, disks were floppy, administrators were electricians and computers were louder then jets. Then it all got complicated." -Anon

Life of a Network Security Manager: http://imgur.com/kKvmgjj