Options

Spinning my wheels? IT Certification Confusion

Reg_BarclayReg_Barclay Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys/Gals,

I've recently been through a job change. I am working right now, but I'd like to move out of this lower level position into something similar to my old job title. I've been trying to wrap my head around what certifications would backup my previous 4 years as a systems administrator. I have my A+, Network+ back before those were almost a give me to even get a interview for a job. I've been able to get job interviews for systems admin jobs, network admin positions, but they always roll back around to "not enough experience".

I've been a jack of all trades for the last 4 years of my IT career, I started off at a local company, went from intern => helpdesk => system admin in under a year. The only few things I've not really had a good grasp has been SQL and Sharepoint in my last job, they used progress more often than SQL. I've had experience in bladecenters, I've designed disaster recovery, I've implemented additions to the network, and projects including recabling of a building that I did the initial analysis of.

I really want to get back into my certifications because I am away from that highly stressful job / being told "certifications don't matter" company. My interviews always come back to "not enough experience", and I was hoping that by bettering myself in certification, I can have something to help back my years of experience. I'm working through ITIL now just for kicks, I thought it would be a nice thing to start off with being a fairly easy test, and an inexpensive one for the foundations level, but I'd like to get cutting my teeth on something a bit more challenging. Is there any certification that you guys would recommend to help me?

Comments

• Options
    bull313bull313 Member Posts: 138
    What is your education? My issue has been more of a "not the degree we're looking for". I have a B.A. in Psychology with a Minor in CIS, and a Tech Support Certificate with a 4.0. I did help desk, system admin, even IT training for a community college. But as far as corporate America, the fact that my degree doesn't say B.S. in Computer Science is why I'm currently stuck in retail.
    "Follow your dreams. You CAN reach your goals. I'm living proof. Beefcake! BeefCAAAAAAAKKKKE!!!"-Eric Cartman
  • Options
    Reg_BarclayReg_Barclay Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have an A.A.S in Information Technology, majoring in network management, with a minors in security.