Options

CCENT study resources

no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi everyone!
So, I've slowly been gathering materials for my CCENT. I've got my S+ scheduled for the end of this month...I currently have Todd Lammle's CCENT book, a 2600 and C3600 routers as well as a 2950 switch that a co worker gave me for some labbing. I've been reading through Todd's book but I feel like it's not as well explained as I'd like. Does anyone have any good easy to read recomendations for CCENT or any other materials i could use? icon_study.gif

thanks!
A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Wendell Odom's books are always my first suggestion to people.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Member Posts: 180
    no!all! wrote: »
    Hi everyone!
    So, I've slowly been gathering materials for my CCENT. I've got my S+ scheduled for the end of this month...I currently have Todd Lammle's CCENT book, a 2600 and C3600 routers as well as a 2950 switch that a co worker gave me for some labbing. I've been reading through Todd's book but I feel like it's not as well explained as I'd like. Does anyone have any good easy to read recomendations for CCENT or any other materials i could use? icon_study.gif

thanks!

W. Odom ICND1 100-101 study guide is brilliant it goes indepth
    2016 Goals: CCNP R&S, CCNA Security, CCNP Security
    LinkedIn
  • Options
    Magic JohnsonMagic Johnson Member Posts: 414
    Can 3rd Odom's book. However I would go with Boson for practice exams...
  • Options
    Looks like Mr. Odom's book is it, thanks guys!

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

• Options
    dpsmooth15dpsmooth15 Banned Posts: 155
    Personally, I feel that either one will do. The Todd Lammie book is also a good resource. On the forum you will see both as suggestions just scan a few pages….even amazon. Do not let three (3) people convince you to change icon_clown.gif People are up here that have successfully passed with both of them. Some people like Apple Laptops ..some people like Dell… Both are good laptops. .but YOU Have to decided which one works for YOUicon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    dpsmooth15 wrote: »
    Personally, I feel that either one will do. The Todd Lammie book is also a good resource. On the forum you will see both as suggestions just scan a few pages….even amazon. Do not let three (3) people convince you to change icon_clown.gif People are up here that have successfully passed with both of them. Some people like Apple Laptops ..some people like Dell… Both are good laptops. .but YOU Have to decided which one works for YOUicon_thumright.gif

How is he going to do that without buying both of them? Another, less expensive way would be to ask on a forum, wouldn't you agree? ;)
  • Options
    dpsmooth15dpsmooth15 Banned Posts: 155
    Mr. Magic,

No I agree slightly.
    For example,
    I bought a Security+ book started reading.....and decided I was not understanding the topics, so I bought another which was "easier" to read and understand for me personally. So, do you have to buy both NO. You can search pages of forums (I did just for s**ts and giggles) and find people who SOLELY used one or the other and some who used both. Some people might need 3 books to get iticon_rolleyes.gif What has to be understood is just because one book worked for me, it might not work for you. and vice versa. Personally I have at least 4 Cisco books at home just off the top of my head. Some helped me more than others, and some are for experienced or those who have a basic understanding..which one particularly states in the introduction. Finally, I know he will pass with either book icon_study.gif
  • Options
    dpsmooth15 wrote: »
    Mr. Magic,

No I agree slightly.
    For example,
    I bought a Security+ book started reading.....and decided I was not understanding the topics, so I bought another which was "easier" to read and understand for me personally. So, do you have to buy both NO. You can search pages of forums (I did just for s**ts and giggles) and find people who SOLELY used one or the other and some who used both. Some people might need 3 books to get iticon_rolleyes.gif What has to be understood is just because one book worked for me, it might not work for you. and vice versa. Personally I have at least 4 Cisco books at home just off the top of my head. Some helped me more than others, and some are for experienced or those who have a basic understanding..which one particularly states in the introduction. Finally, I know he will pass with either book icon_study.gif

Yeah I get your point, the more resources the better I suppose but for those on a tight budget it might not be possible to buy multiple books. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Got Mr. Odom's book on Amazon. lol it's like 900 pages icon_rolleyes.gif

But, I find it very easy to understand. I'll probably end up using multiple books/resources, I always do!

• Options
    beaucaldwellbeaucaldwell Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Barnes and Noble sells the Odom cert library package for $60... not a bad deal IMO. gets you both the ICND1/2 books, 2 DVD's of practice tests, some video instructional stuff, and the network simulator (lite version).