Options

Anyone upset by this mornings news? Net neutrality gone...

13»

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Well by virtue of having a higher class of service you automatically create a throttle for the other. You can't have one without the other.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't really see how that matters in this case. I keep coming back to the business class internet argument is the same thing. Should an ISP not be able to sell business class internet with QoS guarantees because it will cause possible degradation for the business that doesn't buy it? No one seems to have a problem with that, but when it comes to their streaming movies at home it is suddenly some big deal.

Touche!
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well just thought I would post to say that everybody has taught me something new today especially differing views on use of public land. So now I really don't know what position I have on this lol....
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I agree good discussion today and no one blew up!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Indeed, although your last 2 comments (not counting the one directly above) are such *duh* moments, I'm actually having to rethink my position on the matter. As Devilwah was trying to say (but I think you were able to say more clearly), this is OBVIOUSLY already happening.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I agree good discussion today and no one blew up!
    Drinks all around, cheers fellas!
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Agreed, my opinions have definitely been changed today. Great thread conversation.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I want to complain as this conversation has interfered with my work!!! :) But yes nice to have a proper conversation with out it all getting blown up and personal.

I think people need to also take a step back when bashing the big companies. I have had the misfortune to work with some of the very largest global companies. Not ISP's but Oil companies and Banks. Yes they are out to make money, but actually when you sit down in meetings with the directors and IT managers a lot of them are just like us, they have a passion for what they do and want there companies to be leading the field in terms of looking after there customers and the services they deliver as well as turning profits. Many of them have come through the ranks the same as us, working there way through menial jobs before the got a breakthrough. Many of the meeting are about not only getting customers to sign up but as much to stay with them and encourage others to join. Just because laws like this allow them to do bad things, don't just assume they will. They walk a very thin line between keeping customers on board and keeping the company above water. how many times have we seen big companies go from world leading to has been over night. 1 wrong move, lose of backing from shareholders and/or customers and its a quick spiral downwards. Not even the largest companies however big are immune from it. I am not saying there are all nice and always put the customer first, but there is a lot more to running a long term and successful business than just charging as much as you want and ignoring what you customers want. And this is why personal I don't think on the most part it will be abused as much as the media want to portray.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.