Options

Seeking suggestions on rack mounted KVM consoles and switches with DVI/HDMI and USB

MacGuffinMacGuffin Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm looking into getting one or two servers for a customer and some of the server options I'm looking at do not have VGA outputs. Finding a display with HDMI/DVI or DisplayPort/ThunderBolt is simple enough, lots of those around, but finding one that mounts to a 19 inch rack has been proving difficult. Searching for a rack mounted KVM consoles and switches with HDMI/DVI and USB has been proving frustrating. Searching on DVI brings in results for all the VGA consoles that have adapters for analog DVI. Searching for HDMI does not show the ones with digital DVI.

When I do find something that might work the prices vary wildly. I've found that the quality of switches varies wildly as well, some don't pass through all key presses and/or have considerable delay before the keyboard will work. I realize that I'm looking for a something that not many will use, VGA still rules on servers, but if someone has suggestions on good hardware I'm interested.
MacGuffin - A plot device, an item or person that exists only to produce conflict among the characters within the story.

Comments

• Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Most servers I have seen don't have more than 2 nic cards, why not put a basic 2u video card in the server?
  • Options
    Most servers I have seen don't have more than 2 nic cards, why not put a basic 2u video card in the server?

That's an idea but I can think of a few reasons that might cause problems. I'd have to find a video card supported by the firmware and OS, current versions and all future versions. Cost, the VGA video cards aren't free. Not future proof, VGA is old, HDMI is new(er). VGA will go away at some point, I supposed the same is true for HDMI, I'd like to think the console would be useful for a very long time. Having used LCD displays with VGA inputs I'm always distracted by the loss of definition and the analog artifacts. A VGA display would work, just not preferable.

Another point is that the console isn't exactly for me. I'll be the one using it most of the time but I'm not paying for it, the customer that wants the server will be buying it. Don't misunderstand, cost is still an issue, it's just I want to show a very up to date system that looks nice and has impressive specifications. VGA is so last century.

I'm looking more for product reviews than anything. I can find something that works, I just don't know if they are any good.
    MacGuffin - A plot device, an item or person that exists only to produce conflict among the characters within the story.
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    MacGuffin wrote: »

VGA is so last century.

So is PS/2 and that is still hanging on... barely. I'd stay with that; it isn't going anywhere for a long time and the cost of a non-VGA KVM is probably going to be more than cheapo VGA cards.

You might also look at places like Monoprice for cheap converters.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    PurpleIT wrote: »
    So is PS/2 and that is still hanging on... barely. I'd stay with that; it isn't going anywhere for a long time and the cost of a non-VGA KVM is probably going to be more than cheapo VGA cards.

You might also look at places like Monoprice for cheap converters.

Of the eight computers I have hooked up right now only two have PS/2 ports. I have many other computers, not sure how many of those have PS/2. I don't care much either, they aren't hooked up to anything for a reason.

All the computers I care about have DVI or HDMI video output, as well as VGA. They all have USB. I have other KVM switches but they are full and VGA only. I'd like to move up to HDMI, USB, and rack mounted gear.

I'd rather avoid buying converters. Now that I think about it I may have one computer that does not have DVI or HDMI, I guess that one stays on the old switch.
  • Options
    discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    I'd look into IP KVM's to be honest.

I just bought 80 Aten KH1508AI for all of my server rooms across the country, I can remotely see every server during boot up.
    Has already saved so much time.
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.
  • Options
    discount81 wrote: »
    I'd look into IP KVM's to be honest.

At some point in the future that might be an option. Right now I'm a small operation on a small budget. I see the IP KVMs cost something in the $1000 range, and then any cables & adapters needed to hook it up only increases the cost. Not only is cost an issue but I don't see the need for such equipment right now, it's over kill.
    discount81 wrote: »
    I just bought 80 Aten KH1508AI for all of my server rooms across the country, I can remotely see every server during boot up.
    Has already saved so much time.

I took a look at some of the products that Aten offers and I see a couple that might be a good fit. Looks like they offer KVM switches that will support a mix of DVI/HDMI and VGA, those are in the $600 range which might be within the budget.

I also found some of the Aten KVM switches that support use of serial consoles which is another feature I was looking for. I have a mix of Cisco devices and computers (DVI and VGA) in my basement, and the customer may also have a mix of such equipment, something that can connect to them all would be nice. That's assuming I can find the money.

So, I have a vote for Aten. Anyone else with suggestions?