Can't determine if this is a good CCENT/CCNA starter lab?

BadLuckIncBadLuckInc Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

This is my first post in regard to looking to purchase a lab or build my own. I have done a thorough reading of Wendell Odom's skillscert site and by doing so have come across a pre-built lab on eBay that I'm not 100% sure if it would work for CCENT/CCNA. I am just getting into Networking and would really like to have actual hands on devices as I study for these certifications. Here is the following link to the equipment:

Link: Cisco Ccent CCNA Lab 2X 1760 WIC 1T Router 2X 2950 24 640 802 200 120 | eBay

If this set is viable, I may shop around for one more 1760 router (I hope this one that's being sold is 12.4T as it just states it's 12.4. I have contacted the seller for this information.) As well as another 2950 switch with cables so I have x3routers and x3switches. Will this be all I need to cover the information for the CCENT and then study up for the CCNA? I'm still new to this router and switch business (only ever using wireless routers for home use, and they were D-Link, never Cisco), so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D

Comments

• Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think kits are slightly overpriced and usually give slightly lower quality equipment.
    What you are paying for is the convenience of someone putting it together and listing it as a kit for you.

I would learn to use packet tracer or GNS3 for your CCENT studies. Once you are familiar with the equipment you can start shopping for what works for your needs.
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In my opinion this equipment is overpriced. In addition, I'm not sure if the current ios on the switches supports SSH. I would recommend a simulator for now. GNS3 is nice as the guy above said, but only for routing. For switching, check out cisco packet tracer. If you really want a decent lab, this is a more acceptable price for a 2950: Cisco 2950 Catalyst 24 Port Switch WS C2950 24 0746320773964 | eBay. As for a router, this one is acceptable price: Cisco 1760 1700 Series Router w WIC 1DSU 56K | eBay. Don't let people rip you off man. There are also liquidation sites you can find it off of once in awhile when a building demo happened and they had to get rid of the equipment. Honestly, buying a new one of these is a waste of money. One, most cisco products last a good while (We still have ones at my shop that are probably over ten years old) and two, once you move past CCNA, you'll need a little more expensive setup for CCNP (Assuming you go that far)
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • BadLuckIncBadLuckInc Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just for CCENT and CCNA prep, do you think (2) of each would be enough to understand the material and study it or should I obtain (3) routers and (3) switches of the same type? Trying to keep my total lab budget under $200 if possible.
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I recommend using just packet tracer or gns3 for CCNA.
    I bought my own lab equipment and hardly used it.
    Ill keep it for CCNP stuff but for CCNA it was a waste

If you must build a lab follow this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-CP6w6TAIc
    olaHalo wrote: »
    I recommend using just packet tracer or gns3 for CCNA.
    I bought my own lab equipment and hardly used it.
    Ill keep it for CCNP stuff but for CCNA it was a waste

If you must build a lab follow this
    MicroNugget: Building a CCNA Home Lab - YouTube

Thank you for the Link. I have one from Wendell Odom's site that gives a nice layout of what sort of builds to make:

Link: CCNA Build Lists

Doing the 2/2 approach looks to be sufficient but then I'm missing out on Frame Relay. How important is Frame Relay to study for the CCENT/CCNA?

Thus far I have found:
    Switches - Lot of 2 Cisco Catalyst WS C3550 48 SMI 48 Ports External Switch Managed 0746320674407 | eBay

Routers - Cisco 1721 2PORTS 10 100 Wired Router CISCO1721 Adsli 1700 Series w T1 DSU CSU 0746320850467 | eBay

Will look to buy (1 -2) more routers to have x3 routers if necessary.

Thanks for all the help thus far! I want to make sure I'm making the right choices and making a decent lab with the correct IOS's on it.
  • bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree that buying switches and routers for CCNA might not be the best way to go for a Newbie to Cisco. But if your like many people like myself that want a CCNA or even a CCNP later down the road. I would think building a Lab (if you have the money for it) would be beneficial for many different reasons.

Reasons:

1. Getting to know models and specs of Cisco's routers or switches - This becomes very helpful when applying for jobs or even testing for the CCNA in general. I think a lot of CCNA's over look were they are and how they got there. For most of us Newbies, that don't have hands on in our current job. Building a Lab maybe the best thing for us to learn the hands on while achieving a CCNA.

I would really hate to be in a interview and have the hiring manager ask if I have ever physically touched a Cisco Router or switch, without doing so. "But I have a Sims for that" isn't going to cut it.

2. Window shopping - Nothing gets a Newbie more excited or should I say keeps them motivated then building a Lab. Lets face it CCNA is a big time exam. I know that most CCNP's will look at it like the A+ of networking. But lets be real, it's a tough exam or exams in most cases.

3. Rubber meets the road - Simulations are great, but numbers are boring sometimes. So seeing a router or switch and doing the labs on live equipment does help. Also fixing issues, such as wiring or a hardware failure has real world value. Not that Simulation labs don't have this option, they are great in many ways. I own and used Packet Tracer and see it's value. But nothing beats racking a switch or router and conf'ing it to do said task.

4. We are Newbie's you know? - This maybe the only time we touch a router or switch during this whole process of achieving our CCNA. Why take the fun of this process away. Yes it's expensive, but it does have it's rewards. If you can't afford a real Lab, Sims are great and offer easier access to doing the Labs. But I am really one for hands on, and getting in neck deep.

I will also add I don't have a physical Lab, so a grain of salt my friends.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
    bub9001 wrote: »
    4. We are Newbie's you know? - This maybe the only time we touch a router or switch during this whole process of achieving our CCNA. Why take the fun of this process away. Yes it's expensive, but it does have it's rewards.

I agree building a lab is exciting and motivating. I am slowly building a lab to use for my CCNP studies. Putting everything together and figuring out what to buy definitely helps me understand some of the topics and features.

Going back 20 years ago I remember my first day at my internship. I had no idea how to open the programs I needed on the companies computer because I always worked on systems that had restricted rights and a splash screen to launch my apps. I looked pretty stupid asking about basic navigation. With this in mind I decided for my goals I wanted a good lab that I can tinker with.

With that said I do about 85% packet tracer 10% GNS3 and 5% real equipment at this point.
    This is exactly why I want some hands on experience and making sure I buy the correct noobie equipment for my studies :)
  • late_collisionlate_collision Member Posts: 146
    You will probably want 3 switches when working through the STP material. I used 3x 2950t's and it was plenty.

I purchased 3x 1841 routers which worked well for setting up routing labs, and they run IOS 15. I'm told these will be useful all the way through IE if I make it that far.
    So I finally believe I have the setup I want for my CCENT and CCNA exam study. Does this look viable? (buying individually as opposed to a bundle):

x3 Cisco CISCO2650-XM 2600 Series Router

x2 Cisco WS-C2950T-24 Catalyst 2950 24 Port Switch

x1 Cisco WS-C3550-24-SM​I Catalyst 3550 SMI 10/100 24-Port Switch

(Further reading through the forums have suggested that the C3550 Switch would be a good option because of it's usefulness for CCNP if I choose to go that route if I'm correct in understanding it?) If not, then maybe just x3 of the 2950 switches instead. Thanks for all the help
    I think you are making a mistake to buy the equipment all at once. Order a single router. The cheapest on your desired list.

Good luck with your purchase. I can't say what a good price is I just browse ebay listings for a couple weeks to see what they are selling for.
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    I think you are making a mistake to buy the equipment all at once. Order a single router. The cheapest on your desired list.

Good luck with your purchase. I can't say what a good price is I just browse ebay listings for a couple weeks to see what they are selling for.

If money wasn't an issue, and just looking at the specs of equipment I am looking at in the links, do you believe this to be sufficient for the CCNA for lab study?
    It looks about right to me.

I did 2650, 2610xm, 1841, 2x 2950 and 3560 with a terminal server for my lab. I like the 1841 if I probably would have bought 3 if I has waited. I expect I will pick up at least one more down the road but I don't need it now.
  • jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    BadLuck, you may want to consider not using the XM routers, and instead going for 2801s instead. There are a bunch of them on eBay that are either as cheap or cheaper than what you list there for the 2620XM series. The upside is that they support more recent code, and it's much easier (and cheaper) to upgrade flash memory.
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I have two 2611XM routers and two 2950's I'd like to see go to a good home, and I'm firm on $200 + shipping (maytbe another 20-30).

I really need an ASA for the home lab, and if you need a CCNA start lab, this is perfect.

I will send console cables, and connectors, and drivers to use the connectoers - no bull **** like most ebay sellers of low end CCNA stuff.

Pm for details, that is all :)