Options

Resume review please

--chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
I'm having some trouble filling out the skills section and Id like some opinions on the details that I put in next to the B.S. (amount completed, GPA). I have not had many interviews, but all of them have asked "How much is left in the degree?"

I did a lot of different things at the internship, but only hit the surface of most of them...I didn't have the chance to really dive into anything. I helped setup a Zabbix installation, assisted in some aspects of moving from Avaya to Lync for telephony, lots of repairing old XP computers/installs, remote troubleshooting, physical sever room maintenance (running new conduit for the copper), some cabling, I authored a few documents (following SANS guidelines) that standardized how software is installed/hardware upgraded, handled supplier contracts and procurement...

I just don't know how to boil that stuff down and fit it neatly into the skills section.

Any other tips? I've had some success with this resume, but I think there is room for improvement.

Comments

• Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I recently posted my resume as well.
    You can see the before and after here
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/96886-desperate-need-resume-help.html

Maybe you can take some ideas from there.
  • Options
    bull313bull313 Member Posts: 138
    I would put the GPA for your A.A.S., provided it's above a 3.0, and change the B.S. to "anticipated 201X" for the anticipated graduation date (EXCELLENT GPA BTW!) :). Also, remove the self studying: CCNA, as I have found as opposed to showing initiative, many HR managers don't take self-study seriously. Obviously once you complete the CCNA, put that in you certifications section, although you may want to remove the dates there.
    "Follow your dreams. You CAN reach your goals. I'm living proof. Beefcake! BeefCAAAAAAAKKKKE!!!"-Eric Cartman
  • Options
    bull313 wrote: »
    I would put the GPA for your A.A.S., provided it's above a 3.0, and change the B.S. to "anticipated 201X" for the anticipated graduation date (EXCELLENT GPA BTW!) :). Also, remove the self studying: CCNA, as I have found as opposed to showing initiative, many HR managers don't take self-study seriously. Obviously once you complete the CCNA, put that in you certifications section, although you may want to remove the dates there.

Well...that's why I left it off the A.A.S. Its a 2.97, which isn't terrible but its not something I want to advertise. I was pretty immature when I went to college the first time around, didn't really care about the GPA so long as I got the degree in the end.

On the self study, I have actually had some success with that. The place I interned at said they picked my resume out of ~60 (10 picks total) because they seen I was working on it (they required it). I also think it is important to note that everywhere I have heard from RE: my resume has been a small business (under 200 employers, the owners/managment are much more involved in the hiring). If I was applying to larger companies, you may be on to something...
  • Options
    olaHalo wrote: »
    I recently posted my resume as well.
    You can see the before and after here
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/96886-desperate-need-resume-help.html

Maybe you can take some ideas from there.

Thanks, good stuff. You really fixed your's up huh? lol
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    --chris-- wrote: »
    Thanks, good stuff. You really fixed your's up huh? lol

Already got 3 calls in 24hrs. :)
    I wouldnt put the GPA unless it was 3.5 or higher.