Options

Question regarding job salary negotiation

jahazieljahaziel Member Posts: 175 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys..
I'm currently going from "temp/contractor" to perm at my current job. Initially when I got hired as a temp I told them the salary I was looking for. Well fast forward 6 months and its time to fill out the paperwork for getting brought on to the company. When I got hired I knew how to fix computers/basic networking and had knowledge of active directory with some other skills. In those 6 months, I have gain a tons of knowledge, helped with various projects, and what I believe became an great asset to the team. Now I am a outsourced tech for a education environment so the people who handle the salary don't see me at all.

My question is should I ask for 10k more then I currently make? I'm currently enrolled at WGU just got my CCENT told them I'm going for my CCNA in a month or two. Then getting Brocade Cert since their a Brocade shop. With all these Certs i'm getting and all the knowledge and my skills to pick up knowledge on the fly should be a big factor I believe in the pay increase.

Anyways, What should I do? Is 10k too aggressive or should I lower it to 5k more then my initial request.

Comments

• Options
    Tom ServoTom Servo Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How much do you currently make? That info will help others decide if 10k may be too aggressive. Keep in mind a full-time permanent employee have additional costs to a company. Often on a pure salary basis a contractor will make more than a regular employee (at least from what I've seen).
  • Options
    bull313bull313 Member Posts: 138
    If you feel you can justify the $10,000 based on your job performance then go for it. Many moons ago I started on a help desk as a temp to hire at $12/hr. I had limited experience and only an MCP for Windows NT 4.0. I earned my A+ and eight months later when they decided to bring me onboard at $15/hr, I counteroffered at $18/hr, finally getting $17/hr after some aggressive negotiations. I kept a binder of all my accomplishments for the next year and was successful in obtaining a raise to $22/hr at my next performance review.

Good luck! :)
    "Follow your dreams. You CAN reach your goals. I'm living proof. Beefcake! BeefCAAAAAAAKKKKE!!!"-Eric Cartman
  • Options
    I was a contractor/temp on behalf of an headhunter. So they were getting a chuck of my salary. I currently make around Mid-40k. The Head Hunter gets paid the rest of the money. We spoke about salary being around the mid-50k 6 months ago. Now I'm thinking about mid-60k.

Other reason being is I found out how much someone else makes... He has no knowledge on computers but can fix stuff if shown how to after the first time. That's other factor why I want to ask for more but of course I won't mention that to them.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sadly knowing what someone else makes isn't really something you can bring to the table. The guy that has no computer knowledge, he's in IT in the same company? Seems odd that he has no knowledge of computers outside of being shown things.

Anyway, look at some stats for your area and experience level, if you can show that the market value is mid 60s and you're doing well there you might have a good case. Going from 45 as a contractor most likely without benefits to 65 as a full time plus benefits would be a pretty big jump but I've never done the contractor/hire jump myself so that doesn't mean much.
  • Options
    Of course I won't bring that to the table. Just wanted to give more info on the situation. The guy was studying mechanical engineering at college. He just happens to know someone who is someone at the company and gave him a shot. He does learn and knows how to fix certain things but I do occasionally get a phone call from him asking for help. Which I have no problem doing. During the 6 months, I seen my self get more responsibilities then other team members. Anyways, That's all the input I can give. Ill see what I can get soon. I see it as your investing in me and I can definitely show you that I have the skills and ambition to supply what you want me to deliver.