Options

Starting out in IT

bluesteel1541bluesteel1541 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey you guys,

I was just wondering what path I should take to start out my IT career. I am about to graduate with a B.A degree in Kinesiology, I was hoping to go into medical but doing another 4 years of school doesn't sound appealing to me at all. So now I'm going with my 2nd option which is pursuing a computer networking career. I have my A+ certification and am currently working on Network+ and Security+.

Would I have to start out with a helpdesk job or could i jump straight into a jr. network administrator or IT analyst job?

Any advice would be good, Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well unless you are lucky to find a company to take you on with no experience, expect to start at help desk/support. It's where the majority of us cut our teeth. Get some experience under your belt, then look at moving up in the company if possible, or applying for other positions outside.
  • Options
    Thanks Bokeh! I was hoping to skip through the help desk position but it looks like there's no way past it. How many years of experience do you recommend to become a network administrator? My plan is eventually to become a network administrator then a network engineer and maybe get into security or just stick with R&S.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You could also look for smaller companies that don't have a call in helpdesk, that way at least you'll end up doing more desktop support / hands on stuff. Depending on the size of the company you could get exposed to a lot more than just "please unlock my account" sort of requests.
  • Options
    no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would start at help desk/desktop support. It's where a lot of people start and contrary to popular belief you can learn a lot. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a jr. network admin job with just an A+ and no experience. I'd get your CompTIA triage through and move on to Cisco of MS by that time you'll probably have a good amount of experience under your belt. good luck :)
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • Options
    FidelityFidelity Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    With certifications, but no experience you *might* be able to get into Tier 2 Help Desk. If you manage to land a Jr. Administrator role I'd advise you to buy lottery tickets the same week. Most likely every company you apply to is going to want to start you in Tier 1 Helpdesk to prove yourself. If you know the technology well you shouldn't have any problem moving up to a higher tier within a few months though.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'll echo the statements here. Try to find a help desk position. There are low-level help desk jobs that pay little, but it's a great way to get your foot in the door. Some of these places will hire anyone with a pulse. After a few months you can start applying to better help desk jobs that pay more unless you're lucky enough to land one of those right away.

As a fall back, you can always try to apply at local PC repair shops around town.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice you guys. I'm going to go on ahead and look for some Helpdesk Tier 1 jobs in the area and take it from there. Thanks again for the input!
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Help desk or a NOC position. I would try to get into a NOC first but if a help desk position comes up grab it.