70-410 r2....

pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
I wish I'd pulled my finger out and got these exams done last year.

I've got the exam ref Craig Zacker book 70-410 and CBT nuggets, does anyone know what the deal is with the R2 update, will there be new books etc. ?

On the other hand may be the exams will be more R2 specific which may make them easier to pass.

Comments

• MSSoftieMSSoftie Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Looking through Amazon they do have some release dates for cert books in March for example but I can only assume they will be updated for R2. I am not certain. Looking at the Microsoft site it does seem that there will be some significant deletions from the exams as well some additions so it would definitely be worth your time to know which version you are studying for and have the updated material. Some exams are more changed than others so it won't be as critical on all exams. Thegg posted the link in another discussion that would be good for you to review.
  • pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ok thanks I'll look for that post.

Ok so looking at the relevant doc on the below link it doesn't look like major changes but I guess the exam revamp will throw those people relying on braindumps etc.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/exam-70-410.aspx

I'm just going to book mine in Feb and give it a crack.
  • BryzeyBryzey Member Posts: 260
    I believe cbt nuggets have videos for the r2 70-410 fyi
  • SreealSreeal Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just sat the 70-411 yesterday and it had no r2 questions at all, different exam I know but kind f feels like a waste studying for material that's not in the exam
  • MSSoftieMSSoftie Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    you'll use it eventually if you stay in the field.
  • FlemethFlemeth Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Got 410 exam in less then 8 hours but i m not very confident i ll pass , in fact i ll consider it a small miracle if i do. Trough i must try one time before the R2 changes. I feel very good about the first 4 chapters (except DNS/DHCP parts ) , lets say decent on active directory and terrible at group policy.

I feel like i m gona loose my certification innocence as this will be the fist certification exam i ll fail in my life .Still one good lesson i learned is never to try to rush learning as you ll end out burned out and unable to progress .

Lets see if miracles happen !
  • hexemhexem Member Posts: 177
    Good luck, did you use a second shot voucher ?

I would have actually pushed back the exam as you may end up having to cover the R2 material anyway if you fail
    ICND1 - Passed 25/01/10
    ICND2 - Passed 9/03/10

Studying CCNA:S
    I got 630 / Failed

I was surprised by a number of issues

-the exam was much more hard then i anticipated , i was actually surprised i scored so high (i was expecting less then 400)
    -the non guide book is at the very least inadiquate for the exam (for someone without windows administration xp)
    -almost all questions are example and cases ( no theory questions )
    -at least in my case i feel some big areas ware not covered at all (and some where over covered )
    -again the book is very bad even paired with nuggets videos (i had allote of questions what ware totaly unrelated with content of the book)

Will update a bit later ...
  • chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well thats not much good.
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't know why MS Press does this... it makes no sense whatsoever. Cisco Press do not do the same thing.

If you look under the comment section of this page there is a quote by Kim Spilker from Microsoft Press:
    Hi, this is Kim Spilker from the Microsoft Press team. We are also producing Training Guides on many of these topics, however, we have made the Exam Refs for people who simply need to prepare for the exam but already possess the core skills and the job experience to sit for the exam.

So by the sounds of things you NEED the Training Guides also to pass a Microsoft exam! What a rip!
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Flemeth wrote: »
    I got 630 / Failed

I was surprised by a number of issues

-the exam was much more hard then i anticipated , i was actually surprised i scored so high (i was expecting less then 400)
    -the non guide book is at the very least inadiquate for the exam (for someone without windows administration xp)
    -almost all questions are example and cases ( no theory questions )
    -at least in my case i feel some big areas ware not covered at all (and some where over covered )
    -again the book is very bad even paired with nuggets videos (i had allote of questions what ware totaly unrelated with content of the book)

Will update a bit later ...

So which topics do you think we should focus on more to prepare for the exam?
    Might sound a bit wierd but i m actually happy i failed because my aim is first and formost to learn and second to get a certification . I ve seen that even if i have a good grasp on the theory(upart from group policy) you need more then that for the knowledge to be truly usefull , i was unprapared for most of the questions . Will focus on creating a better theoretical foundation while going trough the guilde book aswell and building some first hand experience apart from the very basic examples in the exam ref. But after 2 days rest , i earned it !
    Snow.bros wrote: »
    So which topics do you think we should focus on more to prepare for the exam?

The chart i got at the end of the exam helps but i dont feel that it's very relevent . I scored worst at Deploy and Configure Core Network Services , then Group Policy then Hyper V . Hyper V i did not expect , i have some solid hands on xp and i studied the chapter in depth and i still feel it's one of the best i know if not the best . The problem was i got some areas that ware completly missing in the book /nugget videos .

Maybe it was just me but i feel i got allote of questions related to group policy and active directory and even Core Network services .Very very little related to Install and Configure Servers (only 2-3 storage questions) and spare Configure Server Roles and Features.
  • chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Which ones are the training guides? I have the zacker book.
  • SteveFerSteveFer Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So as someone who has little windows server experience it seems the training guide would apply to me, should the training guide on its own do, or will you need to use the training guide and exam ref together?
  • Theegg911Theegg911 Member Posts: 124
    If you can get your hands on some CBT Nugget videos or Pluralsight then that will be invaluable. But if not, all I used for my 410 was the exam ref and building a VM.
    Next Goal: Office 365 70-346 (Scheduled for 9/25)
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would use both Exam Ref and Training Guide together... The Training Guide has real-world "tips" which you can probably expect on the exam in some form, as well as "key" information - that is where there is the key displayed beside the text.

Have a read of this also:
    How to Use Training Guides for Exam Prep - Born to Learn - Born To Learn - Born to Learn

Also from this page:
    The first place to start is with the Training Guide. It will help you get grounded in the topic conceptually and it provides a wealth of real-world scenarios to get you thinking about how to apply the technology. It provides more information and background so that you can build a good foundation. That, combined with hands-on experience gets you to the knowledge base you need to be successful on the certification. Once you get to that level, then the Exam Ref is the perfect resource for checking your mastery of each exam objective, and points you to additional resources to help you round out any knowledge gaps. The two work together to provide a great solution. Those with more experience will find the Exam Ref deep enough on its own. Those new to the topic will want to build their knowledge first with the Training Guide and hands-on experience to gain mastery of the job role and then use the Exam Ref to hone skills and identify any knowledge gaps prior to sitting the exam. HTH.
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Flemeth wrote: »
    The chart i got at the end of the exam helps but i dont feel that it's very relevent . I scored worst at Deploy and Configure Core Network Services , then Group Policy then Hyper V . Hyper V i did not expect , i have some solid hands on xp and i studied the chapter in depth and i still feel it's one of the best i know if not the best . The problem was i got some areas that ware completly missing in the book /nugget videos .

Maybe it was just me but i feel i got allote of questions related to group policy and active directory and even Core Network services .Very very little related to Install and Configure Servers (only 2-3 storage questions) and spare Configure Server Roles and Features.

Thanks for your advise!!!icon_thumright.gif
  • clubrizaclubriza Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I am also studying for the 70-410 exam which now covers the R2 updates

I have bought the Exam Ref 70-410: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012 R2 as a digital download from Exam Ref 70-410: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012 R2 - O'Reilly Media they also do the training guide (which I have bough) but that's not out until April Training Guide: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012 R2 - O'Reilly Media

I have also watched the trainsignal videos from www.pluralsight.com (a lot cheaper than CBTNuggets per month) but they have not been updated yet for the R2.
    CBTNuggets videos have been updated to R2 but its not a complete remake of the videos from scratch ie you will be watching an video that was non R2 & then then next video might be new which covers the R2 bit which is fair enough as those bits have not changed.

My test lab I built is over spec'd: my training pc which I built has Server 212 R2 standard installed (microsoft action pak licence) hardware wise it has 32Gb of RAM, 2tb WD black performance drive for the OS & 4x 3Tb WD greens in a Raid5, CPU is an AMD FX 9590 4.7Ghz 8 core (over kill I know but I couldn't resist, boy and our toys lol) all on an Asus Crosshair Formula V motherboard, with a Bluray drive & HD card & display. I also have a ASUS wireless modem with gig ports, a 8 port Netgear switch & a laptop. VM wise I am using Hyper-V.

Time wise for the taking the exam I am in no rush & will take it when I feel ready also I am waiting for a few posts from members who have taken the updated exam to see what they say.

Michael