Options

Do I take this help desk job?

markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
So I am now working at a large printer company on a project migrating their computers from XP to 7 and the project ends in March. Figuring I'd cover my behind, I started applying for a bunch of jobs this week just in case it takes a while to find another job. They don't look to be hiring here for any PC Tech jobs (or similar positions) at the moment either.

I have an Associate's degree in IT and I'm going to WGU in March to get my Bachelor's. I don't have any certs yet as I was going to go through WGU for that.

I have about half of a year at a help desk, a year doing remote tickets (volunteering online, but they are trackable tickets), and this PC Technician job doing imaging, laptop repair, troubleshooting, some AD stuff, etc. Right now I make $16 an hour, but again it is going to end soon.

The job that called me is in Denver and is offering $14 an hour for a help desk position. It's contract to hire and after 3 months I get a small raise (the recruiter wasn't sure how much), but then said after putting in a few more months there I should be able to get promoted to a higher level of tech support there and make "45k-50k".

What do you think? I still have around two months. Should I hold out for something a little better or not? If the latter is true, then I'd be inclined to go there. I have a phone interview with the company next week and I'm pretty confident it's mine if I want it. I was going to ask them some of the same questions and see what kind of vibes I get.

EDIT: Update post #10

Comments

• Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I believe you should, but continue looking internally and externally, though most steps up the IT ladder come from internal opportunities.

Good luck!
  • Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Would you have to moving, or just commuting?

Also the pay is about right for held desk tier 1 (entry level), considering its help desk contract to hire. $45 to $50 grand for Tier 2 or 3 isn't horrible for Denver. But it's a good start to getting your foot in the door.

I wouldn't turn it down right now. See how the phone interview goes, you can learn a lot about a company by their hiring process.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    FidelityFidelity Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with the above. $14 an hour is fair for experienced tier 1 work. I think it would be worth it if what the recruiter says is true. It might be a launching pad to get you into administration.
  • Options
    bub9001 wrote: »
    Would you have to moving, or just commuting?

Also the pay is about right for held desk tier 1 (entry level), considering its help desk contract to hire. $45 to $50 grand for Tier 2 or 3 isn't horrible for Denver. But it's a good start to getting your foot in the door.

I wouldn't turn it down right now. See how the phone interview goes, you can learn a lot about a company by their hiring process.

Right now I commute about an hour one way to this job I'm at now. I'm planning on moving right next to Denver. It would be around the same commute until I actually did.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Yes, go for it.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Definitely go for it and put in work so you can move up the IT ladder.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    markulous wrote: »
    Right now I commute about an hour one way to this job I'm at now. I'm planning on moving right next to Denver. It would be around the same commute until I actually did.

If it feels right when you do the phone interview then it might be a great job or launching pad. Remember don't be overly eager, listen to what they have to say and be open to cons of the job. It's a career your seeking not a job, keep that in mind.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    bub9001 wrote: »
    If it feels right when you do the phone interview then it might be a great job or launching pad. Remember don't be overly eager, listen to what they have to say and be open to cons of the job. It's a career your seeking not a job, keep that in mind.
    I think I may consider it then.

I told my wife the same thing. I feel confident I can get plenty more interviews, so I don't feel that I have to have this job no matter what. If I truly can be making 45-50k here by the end of the year and it's an overall good company, it's hard to say no, even if I have to take a paycut for a few months.

I will try to push back the start date for as long as I can since I want to to fulfill my job here as much as I can and it gives me more time to see if anyone can make a better offer.
  • Options
    I had the phone interview yesterday and I must say it was a little odd but went well. They grilled me on a ton of different topics that I had no experience on. They asked about SQL, Citrix, DNS, DHCP, and a ton of other things. This is just an entry level help desk position too. They had an opening for their level 2 desk also though, so I'm thinking they were just seeing if I could potentially fit into that (maybe?). I answered everything the best I could and kept having to say, "Well I do have a little experience from school..." or "No, I don't have much yet, but it is something I'm looking forward to doing and will learn with my Bachelor's degree from WGU..."

Anyway, they want me for a face to face tomorrow. And it's $17 an hour instead of $14! So that's a huge bonus too. I really hope I get it. Getting here and then getting to that level 2 making 50k is a dream come true.

Thanks for the encouragement!
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    markulous wrote: »

Anyway, they want me for a face to face tomorrow. And it's $17 an hour instead of $14! So that's a huge bonus too. I really hope I get it. Getting here and then getting to that level 2 making 50k is a dream come true.

Thanks for the encouragement!

All the best of luck with the face to face interview!!! icon_thumright.gif