Options

Entering into IT

Cee_36Cee_36 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
In 2012, I left my manufacturing job in order to care for a family member and sustained myself by trading the financial markets. During this time I have resolved common computer issues, and performed hardware and software upgrades for friends and family.

Since leaving my job in 2012, I have earned the CompTIA A+, Network+, and Security+ certifications. I plan to take the Microsoft 70-680 exam by 2/1. I am now looking for an entry level IT job, e.g., help desk. I read posts in another thread where it was mentioned to join local IT groups through Linkedin, and to post my resume on various jobsites. I will do both.

Resume links: http://i44.tinypic.com/11ugs60.jpg, http://i40.tinypic.com/2le41fm.jpg

1. Will my lack of recent employment be a turn off?
2. I met with an IT recruiter recently who suggested that I needed months of volunteer experience before even qualifying for this type of position, is this a general consensus or will some hiring managers see it differently? Will some managers take a chance on a candidate with a 4 year technical degree with no IT experience?
3. Does my resume need work?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I was in your shoes last year looking for my first IT gig last year. Not having experience was a big knock on me at most, if not all, of my interviews. Don't downplay your lack of experience in interviews, instead show them that you're eager and willing to learn the different technologies. I would definitely volunteer wherever possible to get some experience. Keep in mind though, most people can be taught technology, but can't be taught people skills. Good luck on the journey.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    1. I would volunteer.
    2. I agree with the recruiter.
    3. Yes
    4. Yes, in this situation I would place the education and certifications on the top instead of the work experience because those are the more superior attributes you possess and because there is no recent employment.

Welcome to the forum. icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I know lots of people who have gotten jobs on the help desk with just a degree and or certifications. After Win 7 you should be set I wouldn't get ay more certs after that one until you land a position. You should be fine with a 4 year tech degree and A+. That alone should get you some interviews, believe it or not help desk a lot of times like to bring in people with little to no experience so they can mold them into their own culture. Help desk people who had years and years of experience get passed buy on some occasions due to their experience. It can be viewed as negative having a ton of experience on the help desk. I would make sure you resume is flawless that could be the biggest challenge you have to overcome.
  • Options
    FidelityFidelity Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got hired to Tier 1 Help Desk with an AAS:CS and hadn't worked a job in 4 years. I would say my technology experience was similar to yours minus all the certs. So I'd say to go ahead and just apply to them anyway. If you have good people skills you should be able to talk yourself into a job during the interview. That's how I've done it. Having a personable Help Desk employee with little experience is generally considered better than a very experienced Help Desk employee who can't communicate effectively. If you have people skills and experience it's pretty easy to get offers from everywhere you apply because that is a rare mesh of skills to find in us geeks. ;)
  • Options
    Cee_36Cee_36 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks a lot to everyone for the advice and inspiring words. I will continue to apply for positions while working on my Windows 7 cert.