Options

Anyone have experience with Get Console cables?

MacGuffinMacGuffin Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've been unable to get the USB to serial adapters I have to work with my Cisco equipment. My theory is that the devices do not produce enough voltage on the transmit side, I'm assuming they only provide the 5 volts from the USB port, not the 9 or 12 volts that are standard on RS-232. It's just a theory. Anyway...

I was surfing around the internet and came across this product:
USB Serial Cables - Get Console Shop
It's a USB to serial cable wired with a Cisco compatible RJ-45 end on it. It doesn't cost too much and if it's a good cable I might just buy a fistful of them.

For USB to serial adapters I currently have a KeySpan USA-19Qi and a Belkin F5U103. Both are ancient and neither appear to work with my Cisco gear. I've seen people recommend KeySpan adapters for use with Cisco gear before but apparently I have the wrong model. The Belkin adapter, even if it did work with the Cisco gear, has driver issues.

I have a Cisco 2509 which gives me serial terminal emulation when I'm in my basement but I'd like to have something that I can use on a laptop for when I'm not in my basement. If this Get Console cable works then I'd consider getting a bunch of them, hooking them up to a computer, and retire the 2509. I have laptops that run Mac OS X, Windows 7 & XP, and Ubuntu so any adapter that is supported by all of them would be awesome.

I see Get Console offer cables for Apple iOS devices. That might come in handy if I upgrade from my old iPod to an iPhone or iPad, my current iPod is too old for the software that supports these cables. I'd also appreciate any comments on the Apple iOS cables and software.
MacGuffin - A plot device, an item or person that exists only to produce conflict among the characters within the story.

Comments

• Options
    Looking again at other USB serial adapters I see the Get Console cables aren't as inexpensive as I thought, there's plenty of other adapters for the same price. It's still pretty sweet that the cable ends with the Cisco compatible RJ-45, makes the cable lighter and smaller for when I might have to carry it somewhere.

Anyone use multiple adapters like this on the same computer at the same time? I'm wondering if I need to be concerned over any software conflicts if I want to put three or four of these on the same computer. I'm thinking I might want to have one on my home router, two for my lab terminal servers, and maybe a fourth for a serial connection to another lab computer or router. I'm not sure what computer I'd hook it up to. It might be Windows XP, Mac OS X, or Ubuntu. I like PuTTY so probably Windows.

What works for you in your Cisco lab?
    MacGuffin - A plot device, an item or person that exists only to produce conflict among the characters within the story.
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I like to introduce every piece of Cisco equipment into my lab as possible. Trust me, if you can afford it, get an access server. It will teach you a bit about how to properly config sessions, but it just makes labs easier.

I bought physical hardware, as it's really how you get real world type experience, I've had to recable routers and switches in certain scenarios, and you will not get that from virtualized labs.

One thing you want to look at is the interface card type you have on your routers, and find the cheapest modules. I bought a bunch of serial cables thinking I was all set, little did I know it was different connectors and all that ****.

So I'd encourage you to get a lab, to go through the trials and tribulations if you can't get that at work. Always lab what you can't get at work.
  • Options
    ande0255, I'm not sure if I misunderstand you or you misunderstand me, your post seems a bit confusing to me. (I think we're just using different words for the same thing. Access server, terminal server, console server, all the same thing, right?) I have an access server, two actually, Cisco 2509. I also have a Cisco lab. Hooked up right now is the two 2509 access servers I mentioned, three other 2500 series routers, two 2600 routers, a 2600XM, two 2950 switches, and a 3550 switch. I have some other Cisco stuff on a shelf, some 2500 routers, older Cisco switches, and a 2600 router.

A problem I can see happen is if I retire the computers with the serial ports I might come to a place where my access servers need to be configured but I have no access server to give me a serial port. Are you suggesting I get a NEW access server to go along with or replace my Cisco 2509 routers?

I have a Cisco 2509 that works for me but it's noisy, a bit slow sometimes, and basically bolted to the floor of my basement. I'm looking for something that I can move around easily and can allow me to do some quick console stuff without having to wait for the 2509 to boot up or leave it running all the time. I also want something so I don't have a "hole in my bucket" situation where I need a serial port to get the access server working.
  • Options
    Yes I'm having trouble interpreting my answer there too, I am wondering if I was thinking of a different thread and responded here out of sheer tiredness after studying.

I'm actually not sure if you can configure 4 USB ports, but that is actually a really good idea! Let me know if you are able to get it working, this would be nice for my voice and sec studies where I only use 2-3 devices max.
  • Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    mac I have 2 gearhead usb to serial units. Both of which I was able to get to work with windows 7 and windows 8 with some work finding a driver.
  • Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    here is a link to the gear head FRYS.com | GEAR HEAD
  • Options
    santaowns wrote: »
    mac I have 2 gearhead usb to serial units. Both of which I was able to get to work with windows 7 and windows 8 with some work finding a driver.

What do you mean by "some work" with finding drivers? Were you able to download them from the manufacturer? What did you end up having to do?

Did you try using them both on the same computer at the same time? If so, how did that work out for you?
  • Options
    I think he meant finding a driver for windows 8 is a pain in the butt.
  • Options
    ande0255 wrote: »
    I think he meant finding a driver for windows 8 is a pain in the butt.

After reading it again I agree. The computers around my house run Mac OS 10.9, Windows XP, Windows 7, variations on Ubuntu, and occasionally I'll power up the old Apples with Mac OS 10.4.

Here's a stupid thought. A couple of my laptops have modem ports. Is there some way I can use those to talk to a Cisco console port without too much trouble?

There must be something out there that is COTS for stuff like this. Must be lots of people that have to carry gear into a network closet and have to figure out which box is misbehaving and make it play nice with others. What to they use? Perhaps the more important question is how much does it cost?
  • Options
    weakness33weakness33 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    To get back to the USB/RS-232 comment, you have the drivers for the device installed in the OS correct? From what I've read that is an issue.
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I know for a fact that the KeySpan USA-19Qi will work fine with Cisco consoles because I've used those like crazy. When you connect using that, after having the driver installed it creates a new "COM". Be sure that you keep the BPS at 9600 (since it's autosensing) but change the COM to the new COM that was created. This can change every time you plug it in, technically so just keep that in mind.
  • Options
    f0rgiv3n wrote: »
    I know for a fact that the KeySpan USA-19Qi will work fine with Cisco consoles because I've used those like crazy.

I recalled that I could get the KeySpan adapter to receive data but not send any, to refresh my memory I tried it again last night. Just like I remembered the thing would receive but not send. I tried several different things and same results. I think the adapter is just broken. I tried it on two different computers, Win XP and Mac OS X, so it's not likely to be just a driver issue.

I'm thinking that maybe I should just order a couple of those Get Console cables and try them out. I'm going to sleep on that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Check out Prolific USB to Serial Adapter: amzn.to/1mYxavk It worked well for me!