Pass

knahknah Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Got that pass today.

I didn't study that much specifically for Security+, but I did spend a good amount of time over the last year taking just about every InfoSec course offered at my community college. Also, I did an NCL competition last fall that had about 40 Sec+/CEH labs for preparation. Over the last week or so, I skimmed Darril's book (thanks Darril!) and made some flashcards to drill home a few port #'s and trivia about different encryption standards.

The test was kind of the same as other CompTIA exams I've taken; some questions are easy to over think (including the simulations), some are worded poorly, and the survey at the end prolongs the tension. There were more questions about PKI and less about encryption standards and protocols than I expected. Got an 869.

One recommendation I'd make to anyone currently studying for Sec+ is to take the time to watch some videos of Defcon talks; they'll actually make the material fun and maybe offset some of the boredom that comes from reading security textbooks.

Edit: Oh, I also watched some CBT Nuggets videos, but wasn't that impressed with them. I think CBT is better for vendor specific stuff (Cisco).

Comments

• shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    2017 Goals:
    Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]
  • bull313bull313 Member Posts: 138
    Great Job. Congrats!!!
    "Follow your dreams. You CAN reach your goals. I'm living proof. Beefcake! BeefCAAAAAAAKKKKE!!!"-Eric Cartman
  • dpsmooth15dpsmooth15 Banned Posts: 155
  • thegreatbelowthegreatbelow Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!! What will you take next?
  • knahknah Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!! What will you take next?

Thanks! Planning on tackling ICND1 next. I'm also starting a Linux Administration class next week though so I'm thinking about Linux+ too right now.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Congratulations!
    Good luck with ICND1 (and 2)!
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Really good score as well. Good luck on CCENT and Linux+ if you're going to go for it now.
  • BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!

What's the next challenge?
  • earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Wonderful Job!
    WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
    WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019
  • DonM34DonM34 Member Posts: 139
    Congrats, I'm planning on taking the Security+ exam in about 2 weeks. I am really concentrating on 1.0 and 2.0 of the objectives, from that point on it smooth sailing.
    2014 Goal [ ] CCENT [ ] MCTS (Active Directory) [ ] CompTIA Security+
  • donw35donw35 Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats, I am Planning on taking the test the end of Febuary, bought Darril's book and will studie that and review some vidoes
  • libby_vclibby_vc Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!