Options

I could really use some guidance.

FidelityFidelity Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm hoping to get some feedback in regards to my work. I have a total of 1.5 years in IT and am currently titled as "Tier 2 Help Desk". What I'm wondering is whether my job duties have taken me past being Tier 2 and instead being an administrator, because it certainly feels like it from my end.

Here's a snippet from my resume of what I do currently:
· Assistant project manager to CTO
· Call center assistant manager
· Development level Help Desk for employees and affiliates
· Mentor call center and help desk employees
· Manage Broad Works VOIP, networking, and desktop support for call center and corporate office
· Manage NAS, SAN, and Servers in conjunction with Sr. DBA
· Administer Exchange, Active Directory, DNS, and Remote Desktop Services
· Manage marketing, blog, and web servers running in an Apache/PHP environment
· Manage virtualization using Hyper-V environment
· QA Software Testing
· Web development / Graphic design
· Knowledgebase Technical writing

That's quite the list; I'm sure you'd agree. Would I have a case to petition my employer for a title change? If so, what should I go for? I also want to figure out a way to get a raise to fair market value or close to it anyway. They're paying me $14 an hour to do all this and it is absolutely crushing my spirit. Median pay for Tier 2 in this state is $18 an hour. I feel extremely taken advantage of and it is making me hate my job. Troubleshooting user problems and teaching people how our systems and software work is boring me to tears. The hardest part of my job for me is finding the motivation to drive to work.

If I can't get this employer to give me a new title/raise what would it take for me to move into a Systems Administrator role? What parts of my job already qualify me? I can post my resume if it would be helpful as well.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's enough experience for you to qualify as a sys admin at most places. It's probably best to move to a new role now that you have the experience. You'll make more money and be exposed to another environment. $14/hour would crush anyone's spirit. They are already low-balling you, chances are they'll continue to do so and refuse a bump in title/pay.

As for improving your chances for employment elsewhere, work on a cert or two to have a leg up over atleast some of the competition. Maybe work on the MCSE: Server Infrastructure or perhaps the CCNA, depending on where your interests lie and your future/career goals are.

Good luck!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Thank you for your reply, Essendon, it is very helpful.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Essendon pretty much nailed it, only thing I would add is possibly VCP5 cert.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's a lot of good experience. Title wise System Analyst, System Engineer. You mentioned you not only provide support and management over the different platforms you provide QA testing and Web Development. You do way more than administration I would consider System Engineer. Hey that's just me though. The pay for that positions IMO should be at least 25.00 an hour.
  • Options
    wgroomwgroom Member Posts: 147
    With the experience you are getting, you are a lock for a Network Admin role. This is primarily what my job description was for 5 years as a Network Admin. The title is always nice, but compensation for experience is what really counts. You will definitely make more money moving to another company with a fresh start, trying to get your current employer to $20 - $24 an hour will be a major uphill battle. As others have suggested, certification is what will get you noticed on job boards. Network with all your friends, family, and professional contacts to see what is available in your area. Best of luck with your future endeavors.
    Cisco VoIP Engineer I
    CCNA R&S COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Voice COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Collaboration [In Progress]
  • Options
    bgold87bgold87 Member Posts: 112
    Certainly sounds like you are being taken avantage of. In my are those skills would get you $60-65k easy. I don't think you'll have a problem moving on if they decide to not bump you up. Look on the bright side, you got training that tons of people would die for, even at $14 an hour. Just don't sell yourself short, sounds like it's time you move onward and upward. Good luck and let us know how it plays out.
  • Options
    jabneyjabney Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    With all that your doing your easily make 60k once you get a cert or two. I would still try and get a raise from the current job and use that extra $$$ to pay for school/training or books to get said certs then move onward and upwards.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. It's very eye opening to know that other people agree with me that I'm being vastly underpaid. I think 20-25 an hour with my current amount of experience is very fair.

I am finishing a bachelors in computer science with a concentration in computer/network security in December and am also currently working on network+ and security+. I'm not sure if I should go for CCNA or MCSA after that. I've enjoyed all the administration tasks I've done so it's hard for me to decide on a direction to go. All I know is I would like to eventually get into one of the engineering roles.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Fidelity wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. It's very eye opening to know that other people agree with me that I'm being vastly underpaid. I think 20-25 an hour with my current amount of experience is very fair.

I am finishing a bachelors in computer science with a concentration in computer/network security in December and am also currently working on network+ and security+. I'm not sure if I should go for CCNA or MCSA after that. I've enjoyed all the administration tasks I've done so it's hard for me to decide on a direction to go. All I know is I would like to eventually get into one of the engineering roles.

I just wanted to say I know how that feels. I had no idea what I wanted to do. I had my w7 cert and my CCNA and worked at a hospital. I did a little of everything but once I fixed a networking issue that wasn't anything I learned in CCNA I was hooked. I knew that is what I wanted to be.
  • Options
    -hype-hype Member Posts: 165
    I'm in a similar position as well.

Right now I am applying everywhere. I would advise you do the same. Right now I think you could get a sys admin job, just about anywhere. It looks like you have the skills down.

If you are aiming toward certification. Windows Server 2008 looks like a good path for you.
    WGU BS IT:Network Administration
    Started: 10-1-13
    Completed: 9-21-14
    Transferred: 67 CU Completed: 54 CU
  • Options
    So here is an update about this:

Two weeks ago I had a meeting with my bosses concerning my job. They had requested a job description for what I currently do, so I wrote it up for them. I was under the impression this would be a good thing. It was the opposite.

All of the network administration and much of the systems administration duties that I was performing was taken away from me. My role was turned into that of a Software QA Manager. I spend all day now testing, writing software specs, writing knowledge-base articles, and training call center employees on our systems.

Best part: No title change, no raise, and I am now building experience in a job that is absolutely worthless to me. I absolutely hate this job.

I've been sending my resume out, but haven't had anyone contact me back yet. I'm specifically trying to land a System Administrator role, but there aren't very many openings for these positions.
  • Options
    ZomboidicusZomboidicus Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So here is an update about this:

Two weeks ago I had a meeting with my bosses concerning my job. They had requested a job description for what I currently do, so I wrote it up for them. I was under the impression this would be a good thing. It was the opposite.

All of the network administration and much of the systems administration duties that I was performing was taken away from me. My role was turned into that of a Software QA Manager. I spend all day now testing, writing software specs, writing knowledge-base articles, and training call center employees on our systems.

Best part: No title change, no raise, and I am now building experience in a job that is absolutely worthless to me. I absolutely hate this job.

I've been sending my resume out, but haven't had anyone contact me back yet. I'm specifically trying to land a System Administrator role, but there aren't very many openings for these positions.

Have you had any chance to have your resume reviewed?
    2016 Certification Goals: Who knows :D
  • Options
    wgroomwgroom Member Posts: 147
    Sorry to hear this, I wish you the best. It is now time to move on. As has been stated, network with EVERYONE you know, let them know you are in the market for a new employer. Sometimes it is not what you know, but who you know, that makes a difference. This may well be the catalyst you needed!
    Cisco VoIP Engineer I
    CCNA R&S COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Voice COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Collaboration [In Progress]
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    you sure do get a lot of variety at my place i dont get to do any of that stuff, not even our level 2's, but yeah you could be making at least 20-25 an hr

if i were you i'd def go after mcsa 2012 and a vmware cert and you can land a nice system admin position
  • Options
    I am trying to finish up studying for the Network+ and Security+. Once that is done the MCSA is next on my list. It's taking me a little longer than anticipated to get these certs because I don't have as much time as I thought. Full time work and full time school takes more time than I imagined. haha.

Do you think it is worth getting MCSA: Windows 8 as well?
  • Options
    ZomboidicusZomboidicus Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am trying to finish up studying for the Network+ and Security+. Once that is done the MCSA is next on my list. It's taking me a little longer than anticipated to get these certs because I don't have as much time as I thought. Full time work and full time school takes more time than I imagined. haha.

Do you think it is worth getting MCSA: Windows 8 as well?

If you liked what you were doing prior to your employer taking all your system admin responsibilities, I wouldn't bother with it. I think MCSA: windows 8 would increase your responsbilities as a help desk personnel. Besides, organizations are probably relucant to deploy Windows 8 at an enterprise level at the time being and for foreseeable future. Going for MCSA/MCSE + VCP for sys admin job like gbdavidx suggested would probably be more beneficial for you.
    2016 Certification Goals: Who knows :D
  • Options
    Sorry, maybe I wasn't really clear with my question. I meant do you guys think it is worth getting MSCA: Windows 8 in ADDITION to the MSCA: Server 2012. I do get the feeling that based on your response that it wouldn't be. I definitely wouldn't want to pigeon hole my self into HelpDesk/Desktop support.

How much experience should I have before trying to upgrade to the MCSE? I don't want to end up looking like a paper-professional.