Options

Are the Net+ and Sec+ exams similar?

jjwooyoungjjwooyoung Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Are the questions/concepts of the network+ and security+ exams similar? Let's say if someone passes the network+ exam, will they be able to pass the security+ one without much studying?

Comments

• Options
    dpsmooth15dpsmooth15 Banned Posts: 155
    NOOOOO Way! If only it was that easy.icon_cyclops_ani.gif It is NOT. Personally the only similarities between the two that I found was memorizing numbers for ports/protocols..…Ok everyone knows 80 and 443, but the security plus exam had port numbers that I do not remember seeing for Network+. People say they are similar, But I disagree personally. The only way to pass any exam is to STUDY The Security+ exam is far from hard, Go ahead and pass the Network+ and pay the almost 300 bucks for the Security+ and let us know how bad you failed the next day, so we can get a laugh out of iticon_lol.gif Stop trying to go the easy route!!!!
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No, one is an exam focused on understanding the foundations of networking. The other is focused on the foundations of security & the methodology behind it.
  • Options
    JaneDoeJaneDoe Member Posts: 171
    No. While some of the harder stuff on the Net+ exam, like subnetting, is on the Sec+ exam, most of the content on the Sec+ exam is completely different than anything you'd expect to see on the Net+.

That said, the Sec+ is a reasonably easy exam.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    jjwooyoung wrote: »
    Are the questions/concepts of the network+ and security+ exams similar? Let's say if someone passes the network+ exam, will they be able to pass the security+ one without much studying?

It depends.

1. How much do you already work with the technologies?
    2. Have you downloaded a copy of the objectives?
    3. How much time are you willing to at least review?

The concepts of the exams are all different. There is or maybe some overlap in a day-to-day setting, but the objectives will quickly show what is covered under each exam.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not really imo.
    I think you should do the net+ first though.
    Im about halfway through my sec+ book and there is a lot not covered in net+ that is in this book.
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sec+ builds upon Net+ but they each have a different focus
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Like the others have said, if you want to put an order to them do N+ then S+. S+ material assumes you understand network models and how they work, N+ teaches you this.
  • Options
    White_WolfWhite_Wolf Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nope, not really.