Options

Programming certifications?

MacGuffinMacGuffin Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
I was talking with my brother last night (he's an electrical engineer) about my plans on school, training, and certifications and he thought I should look into something that will show I know programming on my resumé. I did get a BS in computer engineering a decade ago. I was writing code of some sort for much of the time since then but I have not really been exposed to anything new. The coding I know is between 10 and 20 years old. I learned C/C++, Fortran, Javascript, HTML, SQL, some Java. What I'd like to know is Ruby, PHP, Perl, CSS, more Java, and whatever else the cool kids might be doing these days.

My brother suggested I go back to college, get a BS in computer science or something. With my background I could possibly go through the core courses in a BS computer science program in one year. I'd learn what's new out there and have a piece of paper to prove it. As a veteran I might be able to get Veteran Affairs to pay for it. What the VA has done for me is pay for classes towards IT certifications, they've done that already. Getting them to pay for another BS will quite likely be a tough sell.

If college does not work then are there courses and certifications in programming I can look at taking?

The goal is employment in computer network security. I've found that employers expect their networking people to know how to program. In any networking environment there is going to be a lot of scripts going around, version control, support of the people that write "real" code, and so forth where intimate knowledge of how to write good code is somewhere between preferable and essential.

I'm looking at what is offered in my area and online. I'm just not sure what I should be looking for.
MacGuffin - A plot device, an item or person that exists only to produce conflict among the characters within the story.