Network Documentation

jamarchitectjamarchitect Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, I've searched around, and need a little bit of help here.

If I were to make two headings, one Network Documentation and the other Logical Documentation, what would be under each heading? I'm trying to make a very simple note to divide the two.

For example, and I may be wrong, but under Logical Documentation, I would list: Vlan Info, IPs, and Device Location (correct me if I'm wrong). What would I put under Logical?

I already recognize Wiring Schematics, but could someone briefly help out with the most common things found under Logical and Physical Documentation?

Thanks much.

Comments

• RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    I never split them up like that, any Engineer should know a VLAN from a physical device.

I have a used a "Network Info" type document for years and use it as a one stop shop for everything well, Network related. I keep it in Excel so I have multiple tabs

Servers (ISE, Prime etc. showing hardware model, IP, RAM, Serial Number)
    Public DNS - Entire Public IP space, document which ones are used and by what
    VLAN - All VLANS broken down under whatever entity or IDF etc.
    Routing and Switching - Hardware Name, Model, IP, VLAN, Serial Number
    Active Trunks - Shows active trunks, L3 interfaces etc.

So it goes on in this way so if ever I were out, someone could pull this doc and find what they are looking for. I think I got off base from what you are looking for but this is what I have done and its worked wellm the key is keeping it updated.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • jamarchitectjamarchitect Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've taken 400 practice questions and got 11 wrong. Documentation questions for the NET+ are a little fuzzy for me, so I'm just trying to clear it up. I guess this question is for testing purposes, and not the field. Just trying to plug the knowledge gap. icon_smile.gif

Edit: We all have our practical ways of documenting networks. I'm simply interested in the CompTIA way of thinking.
  • jamarchitectjamarchitect Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to bump this, but doesn't anyone have anything to say? icon_smile.gif

Please?

:D
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm a little bit confused, I may have came across this topic but i honestly cannot remember it. The Network documentation, is it under the topic of asset or change management for network devices? if not what is it and what is its purpose? Just curious that's all.