Options

ESXi 5.0.0 DirectPath I/O NIC issue

JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
Hello,

Installed an eval / demo version of ESXi 5.0.0 - 469512-standard on an older SuperMicro 775 board + Intel Pro 1000 4port nic card.
Vt-d is enabled in bios.

No problems with the install, Summary page shows "DirectPath I/O = Supported"
Configuration - Advanced Settings tab shows 4 Intel Corporation 82546GB Gigabit Ethernet Controllers as "This device is running in passthrough mode" as it should.

I can assign individual ports from the NIC to the VM (be it xp or windows 7). OS detects the card and shows no issues.
Disconnecting / connecting individual patch cables from the 4 port nic is detected by the guest OS , which is interesting.

The issue is that when I try to use the card or it's ports in this manner it does not get ip address from dhcp OR if I assign a static IP it has no connectivity.

Now, the same card, with the same cable , same switch etc...works just fine if I am not using DirectPath. (is using it with the vmswitch for example)

I tried moving the card to another slot, tried setting the speed on each port to a static 100 or 1000. Tried rebooting the switch, tried another switch, tried another cable (cat 5 and cat 6). Tried rebooting the host.

What am I missing here? Obviously it's not the switch or cables or the card, as these all work outside of trying to work in this specific configuration.

Is it a limitation of the demo license possibly? The 4 port nic works fine otherwise, I can assign any of its four ports to a management interface even.

Any suggestions?
2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.

Comments