Options

Using certification logos on your resume?

JaneDoeJaneDoe Member Posts: 171
I'm working on updating my resume for job applications before I finish school. I recently passed my CCNA and Security+ exams, and I'm wondering what people think about adding certification logos to resumes. Should you add the logos to your resume, and if so, how?

I keep two templates of my resume, one for ATS systems that's just plain text and has minimal formatting, and one for human eyes, that uses color and has nice looking formatting. I use the for human eyes format at career fairs, and for send email attachments where I don't think my resume is going directly to an ATS. I realize there are issues with logos or nice looking formatting and ATS systems, hence the two template approach. I also will include my certifications in the written part of my resume.

Comments

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    One individual on this site posted a sample resume that was very clean, had color, and included logos. It was impressive. It is a variation on a theme, so to speak, of what is advised in the book Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters 3.0. I think that having logos on resumes can help your resume to stand out, just so long as it is tasteful. Too many pictures and too little substance will get it tossed. Based on what you've written, I believe that you are on the right track.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    One thing to think about is some companies have email filtering that will block files with images so your resume' may end up in no mans land.
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Maybe I'm an old-timer, but logos on a resume are a little cheesy. That said, in other parts of the world it's rather expected. My suggestion is to know your audience (who you're applying to) and tailor accordingly.

I mentioned this in another thread a while back, but I had a resume from a CCIE who had the CCIE watermark in the center of every page. Page-width. I could barely read the text through it. To me, it was akin to wearing a Nike jacket with an immensely-oversized Nike logo with the swish wrapping around the entire body.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    docrice wrote: »
    Maybe I'm an old-timer, but logos on a resume are a little cheesy..

This. You are not part of NASCAR. Eve Adams does a great 45 minute presentation on job searching / resumes called hack the hustle. Mostly aimed at infosec people, but any tech person looking for a job should watch the video.
  • Options
    yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    logos are for your website, blog, etc. Let them off the resume!
  • Options
    wikigetwikiget Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Bottom line: No

Resumes should be no more then two pages. Space is a premium, so it needs to be used selling yourself.

If you must, then just use your most impressive cert.

Historically, the resumes I see slide to the top are cleanly formatted, on good thick paper, and minimal white space.
    "Once upon a time, disks were floppy, administrators were electricians and computers were louder then jets. Then it all got complicated." -Anon

Life of a Network Security Manager: http://imgur.com/kKvmgjj
  • Options
    I found the CCNA logo fits nicely in the header line, and matches with the color scheme of the resume. What do people think?
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I equate adding logos to your resume to adding them in your email signature block.
    I know get annoyed when I see them in a signature block.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    As someone involved in hiring, I frown upon logos.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I definitely wouldn't put a certification logo on my resume. Not only does it fill up valuable real estate but it's hard to make it not look cluttered or amateur-ish.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    wikiget wrote: »
    Resumes should be no more then two pages. Space is a premium, so it needs to be used selling yourself.

Historically, the resumes I see slide to the top are cleanly formatted, on good thick paper, and minimal white space.

My Microsoft transcript is 5 pages. A 2-page resume from me wouldn't make any sense, it would either be so high-level and generic that it would be useless or it would look as if I had only been employed a couple of years. Length doesn't make any difference to me, in part because I am not printing it out, which also makes good, thick paper irrelevant.

I don't use them, however I don't mind logos as long as they are not distracting. Three cert logos in your email signature? Distracting. CCIE watermark on every resume page? Distracting. A logo or two in the certification section of your resume or tucked away on the page? No problem.

Of course, I don't see the really bad resumes. It's been through a lead generator, our recruiter, and maybe another technical interview by the time it gets to me.
  • Options
    Here's the top of my resume with the logo. What do people think?

I'm hoping it adds a bit of visual flare while staying professional. I also want to highlight my achievements to someone flipping through resumes quickly.

My resume is one page, and I can get in all the content I feel is needed, but I have to do some work to get it to fit on one page.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I use them on the education/certification page of my resume. If they are done well they can make a resume more memorable. I do not put the logos on every page and I size them appropriately for the font size used. I also do not agree with the two page maximum either, depending on an applicants history it is not difficult to exceed two pages.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    For a comparison, here the top of the resume without the certification logo.

Which format do people prefer?
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    The header on my resume has my name in large / bold font across the top, and in smaller text under it is my contact information, I don't put anything in the corners of the pages. I think you should give that a shot and see what you think.
  • Options
    ande0255 wrote: »
    The header on my resume has my name in large / bold font across the top, and in smaller text under it is my contact information, I don't put anything in the corners of the pages. I think you should give that a shot and see what you think.
    That's what my "For the ATS" formatted resume looks like. I think it's boring and it doesn't use the space as well.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    wes allen wrote: »
    Eve Adams does a great 45 minute presentation on job searching / resumes called hack the hustle. Mostly aimed at infosec people, but any tech person looking for a job should watch the video.

Just watched the video - Good information, but oh my gosh...That could have been a 10 minute talk if not for the audience laughing and rambling on for extended periods of time.

/grumpy at the end of my work day
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think it comes down to the individual. I don't do it but that doesn't make it right or wrong. If it's done right I don't think it's a problem.
  • Options
    YFZblu wrote: »
    Just watched the video - Good information, but oh my gosh...That could have been a 10 minute talk if not for the audience laughing and rambling on for extended periods of time.
    I just finished the video... if only everyone hired people the way she does.
  • Options
    dpsmooth15dpsmooth15 Banned Posts: 155
    I am not for the logo or against it nor would I do it. ..Some people like to wrestle alligators, do what makes you happy.… I am sure those recruiters that are trying to get commission will still hire you if you meet the "qualifications" and if so, just DELETE or EDIT your resume before it gets pushed on anyway and you will never know. IF and IF I were to add a logo, I would want something Higher than CCNA to "stand out". It is like bragging about getting to Level 2 on Mario Brothers for Nintendo, icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    I figure the value of the cert depends on the type of job, and whether it stands out compared to the other applicants. Since I don't have all that much experience, most of the jobs I'll be applying to are entry level and don't require a CCNA, but many prefer one, so it should stand out.

Thanks for the feedback. If I do apply to CCNA required jobs, I'll go with non-logo version, because they'll assume applicants are CCNA, so it won't make sense to highlight meeting the minimum qualifications.