Options

I need your advice.

kihunkihun Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello guys, Thank you for reading my post. I am sure many of you guys started from where I am so I need your advice.

I was honorable discharged from the Marine Corp after four years in active duty as Infantry rifleman and now I am currently attending community college to transfer to GMU. I am studying for applied Information Technology and I am on my second term. I have been taking 5 classes per semester trying to cut some time off since I am not young icon_sad.gif (27)..

I have been going to school full time since I got out and I am not working right now. But I'm starting to think that I need to build my resume up by putting some IT experience. However, I did work at reputable company as data center operator for about two years before I joined the Marine Corp.

What should I do at this point? I have no certifications nor full college degree. I have looked around for bootcamp schools for IT and it saids I can have certification (A+, network +) in seven days but it cost couple thousand dollars. I emailed to see if they can accept GI BILL but I'm still waiting on answers.. I do have active security clearance (It expires 2 years after discharge).

I know it's been asked numerous times in this forum but should I start with A+ and network + certification and start looking for a job in DoD area since I have clearance? if so, what job title can I look for? help desk? data center operator?

How did you guys study for a+ and network + in short time?

Again, Thank you all!! icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You can do A+, Network+ and Security+ on your own, you do not need a bootcamp for these. Check professormesser.com for free training videos. Download the Kindle versions to your tablet, laptop, etc so you are not carrying around extra books.

DoD requires Security+ as a minimum, so you might want to add that to your list.

If you have some free time, try volunteering to get some experience. Volunteermatch.com is a good place to start.
  • Options
    I'm reading a thread called job salary and it's motivating.. I see lot of folks here that does not have any college exp but lot of certs.. but my plan won't change. I think I'm just going to study for a+ now. thank god for this awesome site!
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Volunteering is a common recommendation here and if you provide your time to several different organizations, it will give you insight on how different environments work, which is invaluable as it'll allow you on-the-job flexibility when you need to creatively implement a workaround on something.

Depending on your area of interest, I also always recommend building out a home lab. You don't need cutting-edge hardware, but old used devices and a lot of virtualization in your home network is invaluable and quite worth the investment. I used to replicate my work's network (at a basic level) and replicate issues at home. Self-assigned corporate homework, if you will. Being able to do that research at home and bring results to work the next day will help increase your value to your employer.

I'd say read over the A+ and Network+ material and see if they're challenging to you. If not, then at least get the Security+ as it's well recognized, even though it's considered very entry level.

What were your duties as a data center operator? What areas of IT are you interested in?
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    Thank you gents, I started studying A+ today. I'm going to watch videos because I am more towards visual learner and start taking practice exams and see where I am.
  • Options
    dpsmooth15dpsmooth15 Banned Posts: 155
    not trying to step on anybodies toes,,,,,but I would suggest skipping A+. YOU STATED you want a "job in DOD" get on usajob.gov or any other site, and let me know if you see a job with a requirement of A+……In 2017 I still will be waiting. A lot of entry-level jobs state A+ OR Network+ OR…you see where I am going with this? I studied the D. GIbson book (SOLELY) and passed the Security+ in 4 weeks. And I would of did it in 3 if I didn't want to screw off almost 300 bucks. They recomm. previous experience…zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz the Security+ Exam is easy. trust me. Get a job where the years you did in the Marines will count toward retirement, why start over???? I know you have to start at the bottom entry level experience yup yup, but you dont have to spend almost 400 dollars on 2 exams (A+) that when you move up are….basically, not a determination of qualification. Read the book for knowledge foundations.. YES you can take a bootcamp and use the Post 911( I have it ) I know for sure because I called the VA. but they WILL NOT pay for school and the bootcamp. I was trying to do a similar move at one point in time….waited on hold for 15 minutes to get the answer.

GO ARMY
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As previously stated, GI Bill does pay for boot camp style training, just as long as the company providing the training is authorized to receive said funds. I'd say that they aren't really worth it, unless your getting the training paid for by a company. I believe that your GI Bill money is better spent elsewhere, to be honest.

Having said that, I went to six weeks of boot camp style training and it was worth it because of my situation. I needed training/certification as quickly as possible in order to find a job as quickly as possible. Gotta love career changes mid-stream! Since you are already in school, I would suggest investing your time/money in videos and books and then just take the tests. The exam fees are reimbursable by the GI Bill, so that should make things a bit easier.

Good luck, thank you for your service, and bottom line...have fun!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me