Options

IT Managers - What is your annual budget ?

discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
I'm just curious.

I won't mention who I work for, but their gross revenue is about $800million and the annual IT budget is about 1% of that.
I find it very low and difficult to work with, projects are so stressful as I always need to get creative to find solutions that work for dirt cheap without them being garbage.
At the end of the day the CIO and CEO come up with this figure and I doubt it is going to increase by any significant amount any time soon.

I've worked at places with a similar revenue and nearly 10% goes to IT (that was amazing, nearly anything we wanted, as high end as we wanted) but generally speaking I find it is about 2-5% as the norm.
http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.

Comments

• Options
    NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well this is an interesting topic...
    I have seen many kind of business and yeah some of them give good budged to IT others they just dont care... they dont have anything to IT, even if they revenue is really really high... The poor IT manager has to see what they can do with the budget they give them...
    CEO or owners tell the CIO or IT Managers, for example there isnt any open source program that can do that? there isnt any other brand that can do the minimum requiriemnt at lower cost? do we really need that? hahaha its funny though.

Im looking forward to see what do IT manager post here!

Cheers
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    2-5% is the norm but you can also go by per user which sometimes makes it easier to justify costs at the C level.

i like to put any big ticket items into my yearly budget for sign off as capex's so I only have to worry about the maintenance costs.