CCNA Home Lab question

NH_MarkNH_Mark Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone,

New member who is self studying for his CCNA in his spare time. I have a lab that I am using and I want to try and connect it to my home router. I guess I should explain the setup so someone could tell me if it could even work? I have my Linksys E3000, which is my home router. It is upstairs in the family computer room. From there I ran a cable to a linksys 4-port switch in the basement, which I can't remember the model number, cheap target model. Then I have an x-over cable from that switch to a 2950 switch in my lab, and that plugs into one of my 2611 routers. My home router is on the subnet 192.168.1.0 and my lab router is 192.168.10.0. I have seen some posts about router on a stick etc. and configuring vlans but so far it hasn’t worked. My home router obviously is set to DHCP and I tried setting my 2611 to obtain an ip address with dhcp but it doesn’t seem to work??? Any suggestions? My E3000 does have an option to turn RIP on, but I’d rather not because I don’t want to slow down my home network.

DSL Modem > E3000 > 4-Port Switch > 2950 > 2611

From the 2950 on is the home lab. I have other routers and switches that I am using, I have route on all of those and hosts that I am using for a DNS and other stuff etc.

Suggestions?

Comments

• DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What is the configuration on the router and what port are you using? Do you have any VLans on the switch? The information you gave is not enough to work with.
  • MacGuffinMacGuffin Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have some suggestions, first suggestion is that since I'm pretty new to this myself I suggest you don't listen to me.

My second suggestion is to keep your home network and lab network separate. Having your lab on the same network that gives you internet access is asking for trouble. An error in your router configuration can mean you can't research on the internet how to fix what you did wrong.

To have a router on a stick you have to have a router that supports it. I have a 2600 series router where I could not get it to do router on a stick because it did not have enough RAM. Make sure the router you have is capable of supporting sub-interfaces on the ethernet.

The hardware you have is probably good for CCENT, not for CCNA. There's all kinds of example labs out there to use to study for CCNA and they will almost always require a minimum of three routers, the beginning labs will use just one or two but you'll go through those real quick. You'll probably want three switches as well.

Again, don't listen to me. I'm new at this too.
    MacGuffin - A plot device, an item or person that exists only to produce conflict among the characters within the story.
  • NH_MarkNH_Mark Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm using fastethernet port 0/1.10 and fastethernet port 0/1.100 I used the ip address dhcp for 0/1.100 hoping it would pull an IP from the home router. I did setup vlans on the 2950 switch but I'm not sure if I set them up correctly. I setup vlan 10 for switchport mode trunk.
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Just remember, you need the ROUTE both ways...to and from. Then it can work :)
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I doesn't look like it will work the why you have it setup. Is the E3000 capable of doing interVLan routing? You can't configure VLAN 10 as trunk with switchport mode trunk command.