Options

ceh after cissp

acomoacomo Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
hi guys,

i just finished with my cissp, i am now thinking of starting to study for ceh.

is there like a list of good resources to go through? i need a comprehensive book (because i have an extensive experience with pentesting) and good questions to test my current knowledge.

thanks a lot.

Comments

• Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    What is drawing you to the CEH? The CISSP is more of a managerial-type cert, and the CEH is a technical one... and (in my opinion), you will get much, much more mileage out of the CISSP than the CEH. (And I have both.) If you are just wanting a more technical cert to complement your CISSP, I would suggest that other certs (SANS, for example) will provide a better return. As for your original question... The CEH AIO book by Matt Walker (I think) is a great resource.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think the Matt Walker book might only cover CEH v7 though. I haven't seen any books that currently include the v8 material.

That being said, I'd agree with colemic - I think you'll get more out of the SANS certifications than the CEH.

However, the price tag on a CEH is much more affordable depending on if you're paying for it yourself or not, and it's not a bad cert to have. The CISSP is definitely in the top echelon of certs though, so think about what you want to do in the security realm and identify certifications that will compliment the skill set you want to develop.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh wow didn't even know that one was out; just saw the one through Sybex was coming out in June. How do you like the book so far?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    The second edition of the Matt Walker book, which covers CEHv8, is due out in May: McGraw-Hill: CEH Certified Ethical Hacker All-in-One Exam Guide, 2nd Edition : Book
  • Options
    GreenHornetGreenHornet Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    5ekurity wrote: »
    However, the price tag on a CEH is much more affordable depending on if you're paying for it yourself or not, and it's not a bad cert to have. The CISSP is definitely in the top echelon of certs though, so think about what you want to do in the security realm and identify certifications that will compliment the skill set you want to develop.

Selecting which certification to get after my CCNA Security was a nightmare. The best advice I received from Techexams was to simply list the type of job roles I wanted and then look over all the skills they required, or the preferred list. Due to SANS training being way out of reach, and the fact that I touch ACL's, Firewalls -ASA's, VPN's, and now I purchased 2 SRX's to practice on. I choose Network Security Analyst and Security Analyst job roles. I know they require some of the following skills:

Linux--intermediate
    Firewall--Cisco, Juniper
    VPN--intermediate
    Wireshark---intermediate
    Scripting---intermediate (Python or perl)
    IDS / IPS--Snort / Surciata
    Windows--intermediate

So, I selected to get CEH since it touches all of these and then later this year write the CISSP.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    5ekurity wrote: »
    Oh wow didn't even know that one was out; just saw the one through Sybex was coming out in June. How do you like the book so far?

I've only flipped through each chapter to see the layout, diagrams and material. I like what I'm seeing and can't wait to get started on it.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework