Options

Passed CCENT Today... barely...

HoldDaMayoHoldDaMayo Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
So, I ended up with 815/1000, passing was 804... So I definitely SQUEAKED by... but happy nonetheless to be moving on to my CCNA studying.

Spent about two months studying... hardest part of the exam for me was the "show commands"... I should have learned them better. I didn't expect some of the switch and router security questions to be so confusing. I used Boson Netsim labs but really only spent a few hours on them... really botched that, should have spent more time with the hands on stuff to have a better grasp of the results of some of the show commands and some of the syntax of various routing commands. I guess I thought I would be actually configuring the devices on the test when it was something along the lines of, use show commands to figure out why OSPF or some other protocol wasn't working between devices.

CBTnuggets and Lammle's CCENT book were my primary study tools and enjoyed them both. I really wish I would have done more prep exams... it's kind of annoying though how on the test, *theoretically*, you *could* have to work on like 4-6 routers and look at the question, and look at the topology all on this tiny little screen. And those types of questions are major time sinks which hurt my time management... it's amazing how quickly 90 minutes passes by... I had 10 minutes left at the end, but I was freaking out because I wasn't sure if there was going to be more lab type questions that take up so much time... I believe they put the longer questions more at the beginning... I believe I was about 15 questions out of 50 done with about 45 minutes left and starting to freak out.

Anyway, hope I didn't break any rules with this post, I did my best to not break any of Cisco's rules while sharing some information from my personal experience.

Comments

• Options
    bull313bull313 Member Posts: 138
    Congrats! A pass is a pass, whether by one question or a perfect score. No one interviewing you is going to ask for your score on a certification exam. Onward and upward! icon_thumright.gif
    "Follow your dreams. You CAN reach your goals. I'm living proof. Beefcake! BeefCAAAAAAAKKKKE!!!"-Eric Cartman
  • Options
    HoldDaMayoHoldDaMayo Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks Bull, one thing I thought was weird... is they give you a laminated sheet of paper and a dry erase marker... but no tissue or eraser? I mean, you can use your finger with some spit but when i asked for a tissue, they said no, but they could exchange the laminated paper for a fresh one... (one without my subnetting notes) so I said no thanks and just tried to make due.
  • Options
    dpsmooth15dpsmooth15 Banned Posts: 155
    I have been to two different testing establishments. One gave me a fine point dry erase marker and the other gave me this HUGE dry erase marker that really p'd me off. Took up a lot of space. Well anyway, You can ASK for another sheet BEFORE you start clicking away, and I am sure they could of brought you a clean laminated paper if they wanted to, IF they wanted to.

Congratulations… job well done.
  • Options
    shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    2017 Goals:
    Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]
  • Options
    j1mggj1mgg Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass.

i am currently working through this myself and looking at a 2 month time frame aswell.

i think they can use your laminate as evidence and why it can't be erased.
  • Options
    dpsmooth15dpsmooth15 Banned Posts: 155
    Not sure about that one j1mgg, the last certification I sat for. when I came out she went in grabbed the lamination sheet and started to erase everything on it. I thought the same, until I seen with my own eyes the lady erasing it 20 seconds after I finished.
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Congrats!
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    TechnoracerTechnoracer Member Posts: 105 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    HoldDaMayo wrote: »
    thanks Bull, one thing I thought was weird... is they give you a laminated sheet of paper and a dry erase marker... but no tissue or eraser? I mean, you can use your finger with some spit but when i asked for a tissue, they said no, but they could exchange the laminated paper for a fresh one... (one without my subnetting notes) so I said no thanks and just tried to make due.
    Oh, just use your tongue! :P Just joking mate. They're a bit funny about that now. About 5 years ago they would give you as many sheets as you wanted. But now, they'll only give you one and if you request another, you have to give the other one back. Also, they want to review what you've wrote during the exam. When I took my ICND1 I only wrote a couple of things on mine. Mainly subnetting calculations.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!!
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • Options
    The_ExpertThe_Expert Member Posts: 136
    Good job! A pass is a pass... Nothing to beat yourself up about!
    Masters, Public Administration (MPA), Bachelor of Science, 20+ years of technical experience.

Studying on again, off again...