Options

Fitness challenges for 2014?

phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
As a follow up to this thread, anyone have any fitness challenges/goals for 2014? I'm on week two of the stronglifts 5x5 program, trying to bulk up to 175 by April. I've always done calisthenics at home but if I want to bulk then I need to lift some heavy ass weight, haven't been in a real gym in over 10 years!

Comments

• Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I try and run a mile or so a day. It's hard to find more time to work out since I don't get home from work till 7pm and still have studies to do :/

I feel like I've gotten really outta shape since last year, I was doing tough mudders feeling in tip top shape then. I blame the CCNP!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I did the strong lifts for a while and had some pretty good strength gains. The biggest hurdles are getting bored with the same routine and eventually wanting more work added in. It's good for getting into gym shape, but you'll want more work after you are in good shape.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    About 3 years ago I discovered I have an auto immune disease that is destroying my Thriod gland. before this I was cycling 18 miles a day and feeling great. But over a few months I went form being able to race to work on the bike, to crawling along and hardly the energy to get out of bed.

Since treatment it has been getting better but after 3 years off I now run out of puff cycling the 2 miles in to town. So this years goals are nothing like you. Instead I am swimming one a week with my daughter and by the summer cycling to work at least 2 - 3 times a week (20 mile round trip). My 2015 aim is to be able to complete at least 2 decent rides including the Pennine Cycle way, 355 miles through the gorgeous English countryside.

Aiming to do it in 5 days but under a week for me I think would be good :) I really want to do it camping carrying all the gear but we will have to see about that.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    phoeneous wrote: »
    I've always done calisthenics at home but if I want to bulk then I need to lift some heavy ass weight, haven't been in a real gym in over 10 years!

How's your diet? Doesn't matter how heavy your lifts get, you can't bulk without a surplus of clean calories.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As a follow up to this thread, anyone have any fitness challenges/goals for 2014? I'm on week two of the stronglifts 5x5 program, trying to bulk up to 175 by April. I've always done calisthenics at home but if I want to bulk then I need to lift some heavy ass weight, haven't been in a real gym in over 10 years!

Love stronglifts. I mix with tabata protocol (pushups) when doing bench day. I'm at 5x5x295lb on bench and 5x5x450lb on deadlifts @ 5'8" 200#
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Drink a serving of whey protein after you workout.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have GOT to get into shape. 20 years ago I was in great shape just from being naturally active. The naturally active has slowly went away, as has the great shape. I've really started feeling it lately.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Now this is one area I am knowledgeable in that I can discuss on this site :)

I am currently in cycle 3 of GST for the second time (focus on size this time instead of strength). I have done SS, Texas Method, GST, 5/3/1, Madcows and Stars 5x5. If anyone wants to discuss the core lifts or any power lifting/BB'ing subject I will gladly join in!

I know motivation is usually the most difficult part. Finding motivation then keeping it is the trick. For me, being the strongest guy "in the world" to my son is my goal. Also, you vs you is the only way to think about this stuff. As long as you do better than you did last week/month/cycle/whatever you are doing it right.

@phoeneus, good luck in your bulk. It sounds like an easy thing, but I know your pain. Im @ 204, heading to 215-220 in another year or so. I hope lol. I started at 173, the first 15 are the easiest :)
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Did the Canadian Deathrace last year Canadian Death Race if anyone wants a real challenge.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    Cold TitaniumCold Titanium Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A lot of people I know got involved at a crossfit gym. Seems to be all the rage...
    2014 Goals
    • Pass OSCP (In Progress)
    • Obtain employment in IT Security
  • Options
    Dieg0M wrote: »
    Did the Canadian Deathrace last year Canadian Death Race if anyone wants a real challenge.

125 KM? No thank. lol

How did you fare? Whats next, the leadville 100?
    Leadville Race Series

I'm a sprinter at best, long distance running does not sit well with me.

@Cold Ti: A local crossfit "gym" has popper up near by. I like the ideas and the people, but I don't like the emphasis on getting it done however you need too (cheating the jerks up, kipping on chins/pull ups, etc...). I know several people that have back injuries from that crossfit mantra.
  • Options
    krjay wrote: »
    How's your diet? Doesn't matter how heavy your lifts get, you can't bulk without a surplus of clean calories.

Prior to SL, I was hovering around 2200 which is maintenance for me. I've bumped it up to 3000 for the bulk. That's 50/40/10 protein/carb/fat.
  • Options
    bull313bull313 Member Posts: 138
    First: drop another 50 pounds, to get down to about 220. Second: the One Hundred Pushup Challenge.

Once upon a time I played football as a linebacker at 6'5", 265, at 8% body fat, with a free ride to Miami before blowing my knee. Would LOVE to get back into MMA, but at 40 years old, I'm well past my prime icon_sad.gif
    "Follow your dreams. You CAN reach your goals. I'm living proof. Beefcake! BeefCAAAAAAAKKKKE!!!"-Eric Cartman
  • Options
    --chris-- wrote: »
    Now this is one area I am knowledgeable in that I can discuss on this site :)

I am currently in cycle 3 of GST for the second time (focus on size this time instead of strength). I have done SS, Texas Method, GST, 5/3/1, Madcows and Stars 5x5. If anyone wants to discuss the core lifts or any power lifting/BB'ing subject I will gladly join in!

I know motivation is usually the most difficult part. Finding motivation then keeping it is the trick. For me, being the strongest guy "in the world" to my son is my goal. Also, you vs you is the only way to think about this stuff. As long as you do better than you did last week/month/cycle/whatever you are doing it right.

@phoeneus, good luck in your bulk. It sounds like an easy thing, but I know your pain. Im @ 204, heading to 215-220 in another year or so. I hope lol. I started at 173, the first 15 are the easiest :)

Of all the programs that you've tried, what helped you gain the most lbm? I'm more focused on size gains than strength gains but I've heard so many people praise SL that I figure I'd give it a try since it is only 12 weeks.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I used to work for a gym, so after all these years in IT I can honestly and definitively say that I'm hilariously un-fit. For me, the goal this year is to shed some pounds, strengthen up my core and back, and generally try to get back in shape, (something Euclidean would a good start.)

Basically, I'd like to get fit and healthy enough to really get started on something more intense, like going back to my martial arts training, hopping on board with a sport, or possibly ramping up to something more intense like P90X or something along those lines. With any luck, the first six months of this year are going to be dedicated to the "general fitness" goal, so the rest of the year can be something a little more challenging.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bull313 wrote: »
    First: drop another 50 pounds, to get down to about 220. Second: the One Hundred Pushup Challenge.

That's pretty tempting, as is the 200 Situp Challenge also hosted there. I need to lose 30-50 pounds as well (to get down to 150-170).
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    P90X is intense! Help me lose SOME weight. Unfortunately my cardio STINKS and with the bad knee I can't jog. Love BJJ though and might have to get back into that.
    "Follow your dreams. You CAN reach your goals. I'm living proof. Beefcake! BeefCAAAAAAAKKKKE!!!"-Eric Cartman
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm about to turn 33, I'm 6 foot and 195 lbs. I'm about 10lbs away from "ideal" on the BMI scale. This year I want to get back in shape, and be more active generally. Walk more, cycle more, and be able to run a resonable distance without being totally out of breath like I am now! I'd be interested in doing P90X later in the year after I've got back in to the swing of things exercise wise. For the year's goal I'd like to loose the 10 lbs and get back to 185 lbs.
  • Options
    Of all the programs that you've tried, what helped you gain the most lbm? I'm more focused on size gains than strength gains but I've heard so many people praise SL that I figure I'd give it a try since it is only 12 weeks.

Strong = big, no way around it. It takes time, but all good things do. If your younger chase strength for now, then in a few years train with a hypertrophy approach (more reps).

With that said, GST has provided the most increase in size. 5/3/1 built a lot of strength though and is still my favorite. The others are good as well, but I don't respond well to high intensity/heavy loads (like a 5x5 two days a week). Knowing what makes you grow and what keeps you healthy and lifting consistently is as important as what lifts you are doing.

I see a lot of people posting in here with similar goals, drop a few lbs, just get in better shape, be able to "drop into" a sport, etc...

For those people, take a look at 5/3/1. You can get the ebook for cheap (or paper on amazon even cheaper). Its a short book, but worth EVERY penny and honestly Wendler deserves the money for his efforts.

5/3/1 is a power lifting routine, BUT it doesn't focus on just strength. As Wendler says in the book, he was benching 600 lbs but was winded walking up the stairs. A lot of good that strength did him. 5/3/1 is a program you can run from now to the end of time, its simple and it works. If you follow it to a T you will be doing hill sprints, jump rope, plyo boxes, sled drags/prowlers, etc...all very good high intensity cardio work. You will build muscle, improve all aspects of your physical self and get in better shape.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I'm interested to look into some of these programs...joined a local gym in July after doing a few months of inconsistent p90x and have been getting there after work more often than not. I really enjoy it and feel odd when I don't get a workout in. I recently added in the treadmill before/after workouts (1-1.5 mi each) so that's helped with lowering BMI while weights are increasing mass, 6'1 @ 183#. No target weight goal since my natural range is 178-185.

My fitness goal of 2014 is low enough BMI while increasing mass to have visible abs. Of course it's the first to go and last to arrive...it's so much work! Also...trying to prove my good friend wrong that you can drink 6 packs and have a 6 pack too icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    jabneyjabney Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bull313 wrote: »

Once upon a time I played football as a linebacker at 6'5", 265, at 8% body fat, with a free ride to Miami before blowing my knee. Would LOVE to get back into MMA, but at 40 years old, I'm well past my prime icon_sad.gif
    Bull it's never too late . Experience can make up for a lot.

As for me I'm trying to lose 82 pounds to get to 300. I was at 412 and lost 30 over the last 6 months. Like Bull I blew out my knee while playing D-Tackle so my options are kinda limited. I'm planning to start swimming 2 or 3 times a week and see what kind of loss I can get with that, the first 30 pounds was lost with watching what I eat and increasing my water intake daily.

Just realized I've never said my weight publicly since playing ball 17 years ago! I must really feel comfortable here on techexams :)
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□

It's not 12 weeks, it's keep going until you can't lift the weight 5x5 anymore.

I did 5x5SL for 6 months then got real sick and lost all my gains in a week (!). Started again and been at it for about 5x months. Having trouble right now with the heat (been 38C degrees everyday here). I want to start running in the morning to cut some fat but heavy squats seems to be really incompatible with running...
  • Options
    jabney wrote: »
    Bull it's never too late . Experience can make up for a lot.

As for me I'm trying to lose 82 pounds to get to 300. I was at 412 and lost 30 over the last 6 months. Like Bull I blew out my knee while playing D-Tackle so my options are kinda limited. I'm planning to start swimming 2 or 3 times a week and see what kind of loss I can get with that, the first 30 pounds was lost with watching what I eat and increasing my water intake daily.

Just realized I've never said my weight publicly since playing ball 17 years ago! I must really feel comfortable here on techexams :)

The only day that its too late is the day your buried. I know our career choice doesn't lend itself to being ripped 24x7x365 but at the same time IT isn't a career for slouches. To be at the top of your professional game you need to keep up on your education. Its no different with working out. To better yourself you need to keep up the exercise. Intense and often don't have to be the only way. 2x a week and breaking a sweat is a big accomplishment.

@Mikedisd2. Warm up your squat day with short ultra high intensity sprints or do a HiiT routine on a bike/stationary bike. Just 10-15 minutes is plenty. HIIT is incredible, time saving stuff...I used to have great links with science to back that up, but hey...I don't now.

@LSUdood. 6 weeks of just about any structured program that focuses on compound movements will get you hooked. Squat, deadlift, bench, overhead press, pull up. Dedicate one day to each of those (press and pull up could go on the same day), pick a rep scheme you like and eat well.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    @chris, I have a rotation of chest/tri, back/bi, legs/core, and shoulders/bi/tri. I run 2-3mi each workout and do an ab routine as well. When I say I'm interested in a program I mean something along the lines of The Daniel Craig Workout | Men's Health , which is the main one I've been looking into. I eat pretty good...most of the time icon_wink.gif

Goals are lower BF% while increasing mass...not worried about extreme bulk, though.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm with you - I've been focused on reducing BF% for some as well - it's been working out well for me. I'm down to about 13% from 28% and lost about 40 pounds in the process. My problem is that I am having trouble gaining muscle mass. The StrongLifts 5x5 looks fascinating to me. I've been looking to change up my routine with something similar and the simplicity of the program is wonderful.

I've always had a perception that most IT people are dumpy and out of shape - at least where I work, that seems to be 99% true. I'm very pleasantly surprised to see this thread.
  • Options
    @Paul, "Nick edge" is a part time fitness model full time IT guy. He's definitely not the norm though.

The problem with lowering/maintaining low bf% and gaining lean mass is that it's not effective. For that very reason, bulking/cutting cycles exist. Now 13% is a great range to keep if your trying to build muscle but might need to be seen at the beach soon. The only way I've seen people with 6 packs keep them and gain significant amounts of lbm is with chemical supplementation of the illegal kind.

I'm kind of the anti-norm, I think I look best around 15% bf and that's where I like to stay. I enjoy eating good food, so this works well for me. I maintain weight around 3200 cals, bulk with 3600sh. The last time I cut was with around 2700. I enjoy this lifestyle immensely, I just hope my career that's just starting doesn't get in the way. Fewer workouts = less eating icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    --chris-- wrote: »
    The problem with lowering/maintaining low bf% and gaining lean mass is that it's not effective.
    I'm definitely having a very hard time doing that. It seems that I can only seem to do one or the other. I do no chemical supplementation of any kind unless you consider Whey protein and vitamins a chemical supplement. But I do watch my diet very carefully. I think a bit part of my problem is my cal intake. Its probably too low. I'm only 142 lbs - yeah - I'm small - so I'm maintaining on about 2100 cals.
  • Options
    paul78 wrote: »
    I'm definitely having a very hard time doing that. It seems that I can only seem to do one or the other. I do no chemical supplementation of any kind unless you consider Whey protein and vitamins a chemical supplement. But I do watch my diet very carefully. I think a bit part of my problem is my cal intake. Its probably too low. I'm only 142 lbs - yeah - I'm small - so I'm maintaining on about 2100 cals.

You are 100% correct you can really only do one or the other. It's like jumping in an elevator and trying to send your arms and legs to the top floor and everything else to the bottom floor. Check out Lyle McDonald's blog for some advice.

Also knowing your goals and being happy with what you want to see (not what others think you should look like) will make this very enjoyable.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've been doing P90X and Insanity at the beginning of the year for about 5 years now. They work very well for me. Especially since I don't have time to go to the gym everyday. I usually maintain a 1500 - 1700 calorie diet when I'm working out and trying to lose a bit of weight.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    I no longer count calories, which may be a mistake when trying to lose weight. I have my Cheerios for breakfast, 2 Lean Pockets for lunch, and a sensible dinner, on a small plate. Of course I drink TONS of water and skim milk instead of whole. Two cups of coffee tops. I lost 25 pounds in four months like this, so I must be doing something right in terms of diet. I do need to exercise more though :/